1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does My Husband Really Love Me

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sweetygals, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

I'm silent reader of this forum. First time posting here. Thinking i wil get good advices from Ilites. Please help

we are married for 3 years. We live in a nuclear family and both are working, have a kid. My husband takes care me well when i'm sick, when i was pregnant. And after kid born He tries to share house hold responsibilities.

The main issue with him he has never shared any financial details with me.
    If i ask in nice way he would remain silent and dont answer any of my questions. If i fight, he would say he know wat needs to be done. He has responsibility with me and my kid, so he will take care and do right things at time. He dont need any one's idea not even his parents. But thats a lie. His parents know everything and he has a sister who is divorced and have a child. I suspect this is the reason. I have no issues that if he spends for his sister but he should let me know. Initially he has asked to put all my salary into his account in a very nice way. But i was very firm that i should have financial independence and not spend for any household expenses. Even now he used to ask about my savings sometimes i give him a vague answer. Mostly i reply back that you are not sharing, i will also be the same.He would remain silent.

Is this approach right?

My other issue is my MIL. She is a person who yells at almost everybody, showing cunning nature. She dont even talk to her own sisters. People would scare to talk to her. She replies back that harshly. With me initially she was fine. After seeing her son behaving nice way with me. She got jealous and strted her drama. Those dramas worked with my husband once or twice only as my husband know her nature well. She has yelled at me also, but i dont reply back to her because it is tough to talk to her. Recently my mom spoke in my mil house about the rituals going on is not a right way in front her relatives. They joined with my mom as no body likes her. After a week i called her on a sunday she yelled at me like anything. She told if u hav no interest living here, go where ever u r intersted. We are not happy after having u. I dint reply much to her. jus cried and kept the phone. Then my husband who was near to me just consoled me that she is like that only na who gets tensed frequently. so leave this matter. U dont need to talk to anybody in my family.
    And im sure after few days he will ask me to call and talk to her. But now he wants me to come to mil house for a vaction atleast four days. Only then things will become proper. im scared again she will create a issue and my husband would remain silent in front of her and then would console me privately. I cant face any more humiliation from her.

So i need badly need suggestions for:

1.Does my husband acts in a smart way that if any issue, he makes my mouth shout and does not love me the way he says. He is kind of person that talks well when he want anything. Is he doing the same to me.
    2. How should i maintain relationship with my in laws. I dont like to talk to them at all. Because if she talks harshly i want to reply back to her. But not able to talk back.

Ofcourse my husband would fight with me if i dont visit them. But i can always use my weapon to say that i want to go back to my parents place. Because after using this weapon i see change in his attitude.

And After some days he will pin point that he did so much things for me.

But worried that it would separate me from his heart.

How to handle this situation in a smart way. Please help!!!

2. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

I think yes. Your husband is nice to you and does not use your money. May be he feels guilty for spending on his sister's family ..... and therefore refuses to share the details with you. He does stand up to you in your affairs with his mom. All of that seems positive. May be you should give him enough confidence that you will not judge him on his spending habits (it could be that he has other questionable spending habits) and slowly he will be more open with you. Tit for tat is not a good strategy in marriage. While you can be more open with your money matters to him, do not actually share the money with him. But invest wisely together so that he also gets more interested in saving for his family. Good luck.

shyamala1234 likes this.
  3. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Actually he wants me to spend my salary to house hold expense. But i was very firm that i should not do that. So will spend minimal. And talk to him in a nice way that im saving for our future. We can have good retirement life. He beleives me in this.

4. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

Can I ask a candid question, why shouldn't you spend on household expenses. You and your child live there, you have responsibility to help pay bills if you are working. I would be annoyed if my partner worked, contributed nothing and I had to pay for everything? Why do you think you should not contribute, don't you eat and sleep there.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

hmm wonder why...
    U also seem to have a mistaken notion of financial independence. Whatever it means or doesnt mean... it sure isnt along the lines of "whats mine stays mine ...what urs is ours.. "

Sairindhri and beautifullife30 like this.
  6. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Ok. Then please suggest me wat u ll do wen u r at my place. Hw do u take care of house hold expenses. The whole salary is it. Wen u hav zero knowledge about ur husband detalus. I spend one fourth of my salary for my child daycare and helper. All these arrangements he never accepted initially due to his mom advice. And used to yell at me if i ask such things. Only my mom was helping me initially. Then for 10 days he took paternity leave as it ll expire soon for taking care of baby. And he thought it is very simple as his mom says. Then he understood the house wrkload and was fine with helper arrangement. I had my salary to take care of these expenses. Wen i got my job he immediately said to give his account details as salary account details. I was like so i ll not even wat my savings also. Vut dint say talk much to him. As he will scold me.But luckily my office hr dint accept this. They clearly told it should be in employee name. So he dint hav choice. Even im not sure about the smart way to handle this scenario

7. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

if DH is not handling your money, you don't need to worry about it. ( ''your'' money means the income you earn or the assets from your family.) He is not misusing his income or his assets either. Each person is different and has his own style. So do not try to change it, unless they harm you.

Ignore MIL, if she hurts you. She may be possessive about his son or feeling insecure. YOU are not the cause. So better IGNORE it.

8. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

op you have more positives than negatives.
    Dont fight with DH.
    Let him pay for all expenses.You save your salary.Also tell husband how you re investing.That will build trust..

About mil,when she yelled at you on phone and told you to leave your house just faint next time!
    Then stop eating for next two days ,keep crying.Tell DH you are never going to visit her again.
    I know this is over dramatic but if you want to get read of problem forever then do that.
    Whenever he ask you to visit their home do it on your own term because of above.

9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

There two ways I know of to handle finances reasonably in marriage. I do not know of a third successful way which does not breed resentment in atleast one of the partners.
    1. Everything is joint. Everything is transparent. Simplest solution. Requires two to have similar thinking.
    2. Mine,ours and urs.
    Couple pool a portion of their salary for common household expenses + savings. The rest is theirs to spend .
    What u want is some hybrid version of 2 where u keep a portion of urs but want to know what he does with his. Doesn't work that way.
    As long as he meets mutually agreed upon financial obligations from his part and lets u keep urs as just urs then u respect his boundaries and stop worrying about what he does with what his.. Thats his. He can spend on his sister ,neighbors pet anything. End of story.

What u really need to focus on is defining what and how much are your expenses + what % would u both be comfortable saving.
    Mortgage/rent + child care and or school fees + groceries + bills + travel +incidentals are usually common
    Pool for both and keep a portion of ur salaries as ur own...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    PRM575 and Sairindhri like this.
  10. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite