1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you approve of the academic pressures placed upon very small children in India?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by SilverNGold, May 9, 2015.

1. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

I am a U.S. raised Indian SAHM married to a man raised in India. We live in the same Southern California town where I was raised. Our daughter turned 4 in December. She can recognize the letters of the alphabet in both upper case and lower case but prefers to only write in uppercase and makes reversals frequently. She can also count orally and recognize numbers up to 20 but makes frequent reversals for numbers over 10. For instance she'll write 13 as 31. I am okay with this as her preschool teacher says its normal for kids to make reversals until 6 and the focus early childhood should be learning through play and hands on activities. More formal academics (such as reading, proper letter formation, and beginning writing) are taught in the kindergarten year but that starts around 5 or 6. (My daughter will be almost six when she starts kindergarten!). I personally remember coming home from school in elementary school, eating some peanut butter crackers, doing my homework in 20 minutes, and then spending the rest of my afternoon and evening either playing outside with the neighborhood kids, watching TV, reading books of my choice (usually popular fiction), playing with my Barbie dolls, dressing them up, or coloring with crayons, etc. Kids here don't start "studying" in the formal sense until around middle school (6th grade).

From what I'm reading on this board, it seems that early education is very formal even at the age of 4 with cursive writing (I learned cursive at age 8 in third grade but they don't teach it here anymore due to computer literacy and typing being more important), memorizing math facts, and sitting down and studying.

For me the best part of being a stay at home mom is being able to play with her and enjoy her childhood. Some days, we'll go to the beach, zoo, park, or local library story hour and maybe meet another SAHM there and all hang out together. (best part of being in Southern California is being able to go outdoors almost every day all year round!!! Our weather is the best!!). She is in preschool 3 days a week so during the time she's in school, I may grab coffee with a friend, go shopping, or get some housework done. Then I bring her home and she takes about an hour nap (I usually surf the web while she naps) and then when she wakes up, I spend the afternoon playing with her. I do let her watch a little bit of TV in the evening when I'm cooking dinner (I cook Indian food for my husband and usually American food for my daughter, but sometimes I'll also make a variation of Indian food that she likes like Naan and tandoori chicken). I feel lucky to be a SAHM and wouldn't want it any other way!

My in laws are coming to visit from India in July and I'm wondering if they will pressure me about making my daughter "study" or worry that she's "behind". I teach my daughter plenty, but through play. We build together with blocks (spacial skills), sculpt with play-doh (motor skills), and pretend with dolls and stuffed animals (imagination building). Last time they were here, my daughter was almost 3 and they gave me a hard time about how I feed my daughter the "American" way (let her eat on her own and decide how much she wants to eat, don't coax, bribe or distract to get her to "finish" or eat food she doesn't like).

My husband is very cool and quite Americanized and agrees with my more American way of parenting but it's hard when you deal with their family circles and people compare kids (like if kids her age in India can neatly write their memorized times tables in rows (but I'm not allowed to mention how that same kid needs to be hand fed all her meals while my daughter was self feeding before a year old!).

Anyway, enough venting for now, but my question is how do you personally feel about the pushing of academics and studies upon very small children in India? Do you feel it is required because of the immense competition they will face in the future?

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Re: Do you approve of the academic pressures placed upon very small children in India

There has been studies about when a child should start formak schooling and no benegits found to start early. 6-7 year old is a good age to start to learn about letters and numbers. It is more important that small children have time to play, learn crafts, motoric skills etc.

Regarding inlaws it is hard/impossible to change their views. I thought this early schooling (in India) is from the brittish past.

deepthyanoop and SilverNGold like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Do you approve of the academic pressures placed upon very small children in India

nevermind...

4. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

@SilverNGold,

Thought provoking post. Personally I feel pressuring the little ones is unnecessary and even insane be it formal education or anything else. Sure Indian and American ways of raising children differ in many ways . Each has its own plus and minus. There can not be any stead fast rule regarding correct way of raising children. Whatever way we choose, it should be for the benefit of the child in a long run.

Given the environment here in US, it is wise only for you adapting an ' American ' way.
    In India due to high population and lesser opportunity , it is the survival of the fittest. If you are not good at racing you will be thrown out of competition. That is why majority of people have started pressurizing their kids baring those few who are wise enough to know that spoon feeding the children does not help in longer run.

If you people have no intention of going to India for bread butter jam, then no worries to rush her academic prowess but having a little edge over the other kids her age is not going to hurt. But Let her learn it her own way. You are going in right direction in molding her social persona skills.

As regarding your visiting in laws, do not argue with them. For it is surely going to leave a bad taste in every body's mouth. Instead of arguing the correctness of your way, make intelligent and subtle show case of your daughter's achievements on the whole. As proud grandparents they will have no choice but to be happy...And also Add that she is so very intelligent because of 'their' genes...In certain situations,Nothing helps better than Flattery you know !! :rotfl

5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

they are your in laws. they have to find something to crib about. in your case this is what they found. just ignore/deal and take comfort in the fact that you and h are on the same page about dd's education.

sindmani likes this.
  6. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

I do not agree putting pressure on little kids. But when seeing other parents pressuring their children, I feel threatened and want to pressure my kids too.... What can I say, I am not that rich to let my children choose what they want or give them luxurious life. Education is their only asset.

7. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

@Rihanna,

Did you just delete a really sensible post??

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. It is Mother's day weekend, and not in mood to engage in discussion about any American vs Indian thing.

2 people like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You are in America, so follow what you are doing as per American standards. If yourinlaws compare , tell that you are never going to India so you don't really need to compare or study like it is done in india.

likewise you don't go and make comments about what indian parent does or does not in iNdia for thier children studies or eating or anything.

diferent environments and diferent styles.

10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I guess it has been pointed out in many previous threads that children feeding themselves is universal - no American or European or Indian about that! All the kids that I see in India feed themselves, yes, as early as 1 year old too. No highchairs, no toys, so fancy cutlery or plates with pictures of the latest cartoon. Just sit on the ground and eat from "stainless plates" like the adults.

As far as education goes, comparing education methods in India with those in US is comparing apples and oranges. I do not know if you are aware but Indian education was pretty much the same as you describe in my generation too. It was strict with regard to expectations but kids had the time to do all that you mention in your post (of course everyone did not hit the beach or the library due to non-availability). And there are still plenty of schools in India that carry forward this tradition right from government schools to pricey private schools. Your husband in all probability is a product of that education system.

I agree that formal education should not be thrust on very young kids but I do not agree that it should stay so until the child is 11 or 12 years of age. The education system, in US, I find is pretty slow........ its geared toward kids at the lowest end of the spectrum than include kids of every standard. Parents are forced to be a part of the education process at school. If the parents are not a part for various reasons, the kid tends to lose out which is not the case with Indian education system.

Indian education system could do with lot less memorising, but I do not agree that kids should not write/read something over and over again. There are benefits to memorising. Most kids that I see in US have very poor handwriting and their math is a joke . Those that excel have a lots of parental push here too!

PS: I am talking only of elementary education in a good education district.

Now your problem of dealing with in laws, I guess you should just tell your in laws that your child is doing well as per her school teachers and the doctor and is just where she needs to be. Also say you don't like comparisons between children. Nothing Indian or American about it.

Sandycandy, Harini73, hrastro and 2 others like this.