1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Not Want To Give Up This Time!

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by RealisticMe, Jan 11, 2018.

1. RealisticMe

RealisticMe Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    Lost post alert!

My dad expired 15 years ago. My mom has handled everything very nicely since then. She is a very social person and has never annoyed anyone in friends or family. Everyone loves her. She sacrifices a lot for that though. And she is always in social pressure of maintaining all relationships nicely even if people are not nice to her.

My brother got married 7 years ago, almost against everyone's wishes, because my family did not like their family at all. I was completely for the marriage since I was in US and i did not see the issues elders in the family saw - like stinginess in girls family, lower standards of living, old school thinking, rigid views, no flexibility etc.

My bhabi had many issues with our family since beginning - very trivial things which we never noticed, high insecurity due to her short height etc. She is very short tempered too. She has had issues with almost everyone in the family because of her negative thinking i believe. And she finds excuses to fight. I ignored a lot of stuff initially but then i got annoyed and we had a fight. She thinks that i should respect her because she is my bhabi and i believe respect is mutual and should be earned by deeds. Her thinking is very orthodox.

All this happened in first 2 years of their marriage. After that i started maintaining distance. I would talk nicely but never too much (because i have to think a lot before i talk to her, scared of her catching things to create fights again). Everytime i would try to just be nice irrespective of her nature. We had kids and life went on, We were never very close.

My bro and his family live an hour away from us. Generally, if we visit them, i make special efforts to go on a Fri and come back on Sun. On the other hand, she always tries to come on Sat and leave early on Sun. And there are many similar things which i try my best to ignore and still talk nicely to her. On bday of my son 2 years ago, she wanted to leave just after celebration in temple, around 1pm on Sun. Trying be extra nice, i insisted them to stay and leave later. She got mad right there in the temple and started saying a lot of stuff to me and my husband, that we are forcing them to stay. This time i got really pissed off and stopped calling her altogether and bothering about being nice or any other obligations.

After that i think she realized her mistake and called after a month. Since then it has been ok-ok. I try to talk normally and be nice- nothing more nothing less. If we facetime, she will never come on call. I will ask for her and wish her - each time.

All this was going on and i had accepted how the relationship will be.

Recently, she came back from her india visit in Oct and was annoyed with my mom for some reason. We invited them and she made excuses and they did not come. We had to go to their hometown for something so we visited them , i would say forcefully - because we invited ourselves to their house - but she was fine during that visit.

During my first pregnancy in 2013, my mom could not go to my brother and bhabi during their baby's delivery because we needed her - my MIL could not come and i could not manage nanny in india since i was going to travel to US for work soon. So she went to them after a month. My bhabi got really pissed off with that because she thinks its in-laws responsibility to take care of their new born.

Last time my experience with my mil was very bad, i got stressed and could not feed. So during next delivery time, i did not want her around for initial few months.

I am expecting again and i had asked my mom to come during my delivery in May for 6 months. And i have told this to her since past 5 years that if she will not come ill manage with nanny but i cannot call my mil because she stresses me out. I can call my mil later - after few months after i am all settled.

After i gave my news to my mom, she told my brother to not try or plan for a baby now, since she will be in trouble about where to go again. Because she feels more obligated to go to my bhabi than coming to me. All of them think that in-laws should be the one to go for help and not the mom. But, i am more comfortable with my mom, so i was only interested in her visiting me during the initial 5 months.

When i disclosed my pregnancy news to my brothers family, they also disclosed theirs - which was a surprise. My delivery is in may end and bhabi's in july beginning. Since my mom can only come to one place now, we are stuck.

My mom decided to come to me in May and go to their place in Jul end.
    I wanted my mom to take the stand and tell them that she will come to me since i asked her 1st, but she did not. Instead she decided to come to me for 1.5 months and spend 9-10 months with my brother.
    I asked her to come earlier in April, she said no.

Bhabi's mom has never stayed much with them since they dont feel like staying at daughters place. Also, now she said she will not come since she wants to go to her DIL who is also pregnant at the same time.
    I was expecting my bro and mom to figure out some arrangement where mom can go to them during there delivery for a few months Jul-Aug and then come back to me. But, noone even tried.

I feel ditched and cheated by both brother and mom.

My husband and my brother are really attached but they dont get to meet enough because she is never interested. Kids miss each other but they cant meet for the same reason.
    Bro has always been nice, but after years of marriage, now thinks a lot like his wife. He does not call enough and i was fine with all this until now, when i feel completely lost when my own mom does not support me. I feel she is completely biased and treats my brother and bhabi with more importance.
    My bhabi does not call my mom at all , is not really nice to her, still my mom feels that she need to go to them so that she is not upset again.
    Luckily, my husband is very supportive.

This is my side of story. I am sure her version would be different. But, i cant see where i went wrong and why i deserve this kind of treatment by my mom and bro. Now, i dont feel like talking to my bro and mom. Bhabi and me anyways dont talk much. Also, I have already told my mom that I would not have been upset if she could not have come due to sickness or anything else. I am more hurt because she is ready to come to my bro for 10 months and she wants to come to me for 1.5 month. Very sad, stressed and heartbroken mom-to-be. What should i do?

FYI - Both me and bhabi are full time working moms.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Oh dear....i will first tell you my story . I have two kids. Both the times my mom had to take care of me during delivery. Around first time I was at my native and second time around i was with my husband in the city where we work other than native.
    My mil never ever bothered to call me during my pregnancy.during both my pregnancy I was sick for first six months and used to vomit 10-12 times a day. Imagine my situation. It was really hard during second time coz I already I had a toddler to take care of.during all these hardship she never ever called to ask how I am. I called her once and asked her politely to come for which also she gave lame excuses and did not come. During my second delivery there was some barsi at my husband's family so in laws made that excuse and did not come.
    So my mom came right before my delivery and left once my baby Turned two months.
    My mil did not come even after my mom left instead my pil went for pilgrims for a month. And came to our place when my second one was around four months and stayed for only ten days. My pil keep coming and stay for a week or two like guests and even after never helping me they expect me to behave like their own daughter of they had. All these I am telling you to show the gravity of your mom's situation. I resent my mil and I do not wish to speak to her ever. I hate her but cant do much about it. Have to live with it. But she very well understands that she is not welcomed here anymore. Would you like the same treatment for your mom too?
    Its a very tricky situation dear. And I think what she did was the best she could do. She fulfilled her responsibility towards her dil and didn't care much about her behaviour. This speaks volumes about your mother's maturity. We all need to fulfil our responsibilities no matter what. Please don't make it hard for her .
    You should really be proud of your mom . Hats off to her for being there both her daughter and dil. She really seems a matured lady. Do not let any resentment build towards her dear. I wish I could explain it more

kalcandu, RealisticMe and ashima10 like this.
  3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

If your husband is supportive can't you manage without your mom's help. It's nice to have someone around during the delivery but it's not impossible to manage without.
    Even in the case you want your mom around she is planning to be with you for 1.5 months by the period you would have recovered well. Try hiring help and browse for tips of how to manage the same. I remember seeing one such thread in IL as well.

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

This often happens when people are so dependent on others. I was a victim of this, because fate played a lot in my case. So, the lesson was terrific.
    I became pregnant and just like you, I had a horrible time with my PILs for the first time around, so I was almost in the death bed after delivery times.
    So, I was so scared about the second delivery, but my mom and H literally forced me to have a sibling for my son.
    I was physically weak, so I always depended on mom's support during pregnancy and after delivery. Besides, I hoped mom would be around to spend time with my older kid - who needs more attention.
    Everything went well till all of a sudden my bro's wedding was fixed.
    My SIL entered the scene, and there was a force from every end that mom should spend sometimes with SIL, as she is all alone after bro goes for work (long hrs).
    Then slowly she became pregnant on the first month itself. That too complected pregnancy. Her parents had other priorities, but my bro was really worried, and wanted mom to stay around.
    Mom could say no, as I looked healthy compared to her then.

Then my delivery came. Her delivery came as well. Mom was running like a headless chicken losing her sanity, but often compared and stressed by others.
    We too acted childishly then.

But now, after almost 4 years, we had realized our fault. Pregnancy and child birth is our responsibility. We should learn to manage it by ourselves. We can hire for paid helps. We can opt for services like catering, laundry from outside.
    Parents, in laws, neighbors and friends can come to help at their convenience. They have already helped us by many means when we were their dependents. But now, we are independents, so we should never depend on them for anything.

Don't force your mom and make her feel inconvenience at this old age.
    Let her chose. If she chose your SIL over yourself, it doesn't mean she loves you any less. In fact, her mind would be roaming about yourself during all the times she is with her DIL.
    Even if she can't be around, she can still contact you to say something soothing - I know how much it means to hear from mom during those days. Cherish that.
    Enjoy the 1.5 months with mom. I think you can be better after that. You don't really need her then.
    Let her spend sometimes with her son - because she is too an old lady with orthodox beliefs. She can't change herself just like you.

Dont bother. everything will be fine. Believe in yourself and take these hard times as moments to bond between your H and KIDs

sindmani, kalcandu, shri0218 and 4 others like this.
  5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I think your mother is very traditional. As per Indian culture, she thinks she will depend on her son and DIL in old age rather than go to old-age home or be dependent on you. So. she is trying to prioritise taking care of your bhabi than you, otherwise she will feel ashamed to depend on them instead of you.

Now, your brother may be abroad due to job, but realise as your parents grow older, they will need someone to take care physically, they can't manage on their own. If she takes care of her DIL, your mother will be taken care of in her old age. She is already vulnerable being a widow and all alone, she is doing her best to balance the situations. DO not get annoyed with her.

Don't get hurt, just know that in her heart your mother will always love you more than she ever loves your bhabhi. But to exist in this society, we have to give something in order to get something, so the world doesn't call us unfair.

We always expect our parents to take care of our pregnancy,delivery, kids etc but how many times we sit down to discuss who will take care of our parents in old age? Did you sit down with your brother and discuss that? She is just an old widowed woman, and trying her best to prioritise the family she will depend upon. But I'm sure in every prayer of hers, first she prays for your wellbeing.

sindmani and madras2018 like this.
  6. RealisticMe

Thank you.

7. RealisticMe

Yes, I can manage. As I said, I would not be so upset if she genuinely would not be able to come. I am really sad because of the bias between son and daughter. She is ready to stay with them for 10 months even though I try to make her super comfortable in my house - I get extra help, take care of her. They make her do more work, take care of their toddler, she got weak when she visited them last time. I wanted her to spend equal time at both places. So, I felt bad because she decided to give them more importance and time. I will surely have Help around and will be able to manage it. I am hurt because daughters become less important after marriage. And she is always welcomed in our house and will be well taken care of- in old age also. But yes, her thinking would be different and that’s why she may have decided what she decided. Thankyou so much for your advice!

8. priyanka12345

priyanka12345 Silver IL'ite

Congratulations.

This is best phase for you and you are spoiling it by thinking about your mom and brother. They are prioritizing their lives which is not wrong.

it was your decision to be pregnant. although you informed your mom to come in advance things change. atleast your mom will be for 1.5 months with you which is great help. since its your second pregnancy you already know inside out on how to take care of your child .it will be ok with time. you can get hired help also.

Depending so much on on your mom or rather anyone is not good. After delivery also you should try to be independent. if you get help good if not its ok..

you do not want MIL to come for various reasons. your SIL might think you have MIL whom you can call after 1.5 months and she needs her MIL. It all depends on situations you are put in.you never know if your SIL pregnancy is without complications , your mom will come to your place also later on.

Dont burden your mom so much and have resentment against her.there are so many ladies who go through pregnancy, delivery without any help. Still they manage and so can you.

Enjoy these months and make sure your mom is happy when she visits you.

RealisticMe likes this.
  9. RealisticMe

Thanks dear. That’s true. Thankyou so much for your advice!

10. RealisticMe

Sure thankyou, I will be able to manage. What irks me is the bias and that they are higher priority, it’s not equal. Maybe I’m overthinking. Thanks dear for your advice.