1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Kids Birthday Parties Create Comparison?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Vedhavalli, Aug 21, 2018.

1. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It is little bit tricky my kids enjoyed going to home parties and outside parties .

I give outside parties because it is easy and I don't have the creativity to create two -three hour engaging activities for kids .

There will be comparisons if your kid is the only one who is not having outside parties but if you have a mixed bag , easier to explain .
    I think you can give in to kids demand a couple of times because their idea of celebration may not match Yours .

sindmani and yellowmango like this.
  2. nivu

nivu Senior IL'ite

You are clearly judging others by commenting on their lifestyle and by just writing a line “it’s my personal opinion” will not change the fact . Get off your moral high horse . This is my “personal” opinion about your post .Deal with it

I will not apologize for being rude to you because you get what you give .

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    yellowmango and ragz2richez like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I think what you want to teach your child is right, but how you have chosen to convey it to her is not necessarily correct.

While it is good to teach her that there are lesser privileged children that need our help, it is also not correct to teach her that what her friends and their families are doing (that you willingly let her be a participant of) is a waste of time and money. You are teaching your child to judge and this is not appropriate at all. What you should instead focus on is to teach her that each family is different and do different things and just because she does/does not do something that her friends don't do/do, she is no less or better than them. Teach her to be proud of her own upbringing and also to be respectful of others' choices. And I think 4 is a good age to start pointing that out to the child, instead of saying things like we are simple people and we are so good and we are this and that etc.

I do not believe in keeping a Christmas Tree and exchanging gifts. My daughter came and asked me why we don't do it and I just told her that we keep golu and celebrate Diwali while they don't. I just used this as an opportunity to teach her that the world is made up of different kinds of people who do different kinds of things and who might do the same things differently, and that we should just do what we can and not let what others do bother us!

I think the child can be taught compassion towards those not as privileged as she is without putting others down or putting herself up on some kind of pedestal.

I think on some level, this has affected you more than it has your daughter, honestly. I do not mean to point to your other threads here, but I can't help seeing a pattern. I feel you have some kind of compulsive need to constantly assure yourself that you are good enough and that makes you examine yourself/the way you live/how others interact with you with a magnifying glass and come up with stuff that you use to tell yourself that you are better than them. I see this behavior as a manifestation of some kind of inferiority complex that you have and in an attempt to overcome that, you either put yourself on this pedestal or attach unnecessary meaning to seemingly innocent actions of others. I am no psychologist or behavioral analyst, but I honestly can't help making this observation about you.

Take it easy @Vedhavalli . The world and the people around you are not really as bad or cunning as you think they are!

sindmani, Amica, sheztheone and 13 others like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

In my personal view, raising children is a prerogative of the parents and what value to teach them is entirely left to them. There is no specific method that is superior to another. The parents know the children well and accordingly it should be left to them to decide what is best for their children. None of us know the background and circumstances of each family.

OP wrote this with a specific note that she wasn't judging anyone. I don't see any offense in her post. As a matter of fact, I consider her attitude of giving to an orphaned child instead of lavishly spending for her child's birthday as a superior value that shouldn't be condemned, expressed or implied.

I am 64 years old and I have raised my only son with simple birthday celebrations throughout his young ages. He never questioned me once why others parents are celebrating differently nor I have bad feeling about others celebrating their children's birthday elaborately. There is nothing wrong in teaching austerity at an young age.

I am interested in listening to thoughts of a few and I am tagging @justanothergirl, @Gauri03, @kkrish, @Shanvy and @Laks09.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    sindmani, Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  6. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra ji , No woman here is implying that the OP is wrong in teaching austerity to her child. This can be done without putting others down or putting herself on a pedestal. That is all.

sindmani, yellowmango, kkrish and 3 others like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a lovely party.... All kids having the birthday goodies but not high on the sugar yet : )

What is judging? What is commenting? When does expressing a personal opinion become judging? Is judging bad per se?

The above line is definitely judging. "I don't believe in spending hundreds of dollars for a three hour birthday party" would have raised fewer hackles. The use of "unwanted" and "showoff" cannot be excused with a "this is my personal opinion."
    "showoff" and "unwanted" labels accompanied with the above holier than thou will surely annoy. The implication that those who spend on such theme parties do not care about less privileged children is very obvious.

LOL... OP's few words are being examined even more than Trump's tweets.

Now, my personal opinion: in online discussions which are interesting and relate to our life's events, there will be some comments that will come across as judging. We can read them, refute them, respond, and move on. Policing discussions to not have any judgmental comments will be hard and a drag.

For example, I'd like to be judgmental about people who go and celebrate kid's birthday party in orphanage, skip the regular birthday party, and post pictures in FB of child handing out gifts to orphanage children, and cutting cake with them. Donating money to orphanage is nice. Going and celebrating birthday there is cruel and inconsiderate. Takes all my discipline to not comment on those FB photos.

peartree and others have explained well why this should not be the thing to explain to child.

Yes, you are judging. And IMO nothing wrong with the judging.

BTW, the birthday parties I've been to for 2-11 year old's, usually have 10-20 kids. Sometimes, an extra 5 are added as package is for 25 kids. : ) Maybe some parents stay on. The guest count is definitely not around 200+.

Another BTW - cost of hosting people at home is also not very less. If I do Indian and other grocery for a birthday party dinner at home, the bills add up. Snacks, appetizers, drinks, dessert, some food items for children. A lot of things already at home get used. Many hours go in preparation and clean up. Return gift has to be bought which is often included in outdoor birthday package.

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the tag @Viswamitra. Not sure what more I can write. @peartree summarized my views on this very well.
    The way I look at it ages 1-3 celebrations are pretty much by the parents for the parents. Most babies that age are tired hungry and cranky end of the day no matter what our idea of the party/celebration is. For one of my celebrations I did have close to 75 people . No it was not a showoff. I cannot not invite any of my friends . Its who I and DH are. We genuinely love our family and friends and cannot even dream of skipping anyone for any of our functions.

4-9 ish is when they enjoy spending time with their friends. Balloons ,cake pizza,candy and friends. Their requirements were usually very simple and most kids I know couldn't care less . I am glad I did what I did when I did even if it was exhausting. I have lovely memories. Now my boys are teenagers and most celebrations are very low key. I have my values ..I buy cake but hunt for bakeries which make them eggless..buy fancy candles with music but I don't blow them. Just light and leave in front of my mandir. I let them know that it bothers me . They have accepted me with all my idiosyncrasies. Its how we choose to project ourselves to them thats critical "Just because I do things a certain way doesn't make me a better human being ...it just makes me unique."

I have never chosen their birthday parties as an occasion to make a statement that we need to think about those who have far less. There are many other occasions and times around the year to do it. That day is theirs . I let it be just that.

9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Not sure, it is different for the boys vs girls? or May be, it is different for public vs private schools?

My son and his friends were happy to be at the arcades or went to baseball games.

I didn't notice any such differences.

sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra - Wrong Mom to tag! I do indulge my children a lot.

As far as birthday parties are concerned, I'm yet to see a party that involves 200+ guests and a large buffet in a big venue for a 4 yrs old in this country. That's what happens in India for milestones (1st birthday, upanayanam etc).

I love to host parties. I'm a party person and look for opportunities to host events. I take the trouble to know what my child is into that particular year and host a party in a venue with that particular theme cake, return gifts, kids gifts. Kid will have clothes that match the theme and mom and dad will too. One year we wore sleeping beauty T-shirts. Even if it is an outside venue, I prefer finding my own snacks and treats to match the theme. I've gone from teletubbies to all princesses to harry potter to marvel to a very big girl gold and white. As the child grew older, she herself cut down from wanting all her forty very important friends(India) to attend to now having only 2-3 girls around. Which is why I tend to agree with @Rihana above. Young kids don't stay young forever.

I have a very different view of teaching kids to be better human beings. I don't intend to tell my kids anything. I hope they follow in my footsteps. My Mom used to be and is still very philanthropic. She never taught us to look at people who have less than us or to be more modest. Rather, she would cut out from her personal spendings and do it. I learned by seeing her. As we got older, both of us started just doing what she does. Now my DD does the exact same. Follows my lead. I'm quite proud of some of the stuff she has done in this past week for my home state.

I think @peartree is right about not discussing this with very young kids. I have an old acquaintance who kept telling her DD that the others are wasting money for showing off because she felt like it would make her better. The child started taking it out on other kids. She started calling our kids spoilt brats to their faces. A six year old does not know that she has to sacrifice for the betterment of the human race. She is going to take it out on the kids who she thinks in her mind is better off. The kid as a result started getting singled out. Unlike what the mom thought her child wasn't singled out because of her lack of having certain things but due to her attitude towards the other kids who had those things. We have to be careful while putting forth such opinions.

It's best to not talk to kids constantly about telling them that their wants are wrong. If you cannot or don't want to do something, it's best to offer a six year old a solution. No, I can't have this this and that for your party but we will still host at home and have this, this and this. Very young kids don't always understand the need to give up on personal wants to make other people happy. It will come in time. And kids never listen to what we tell them anyway. They often notice things we do and even if we don't tell them, they inculcate some of those things.

They also become aware of our failings as they grow up. They do learn from our flaws too. With the grace of God my first born has understood that her Dad drives like he is still living in Bangalore but it's better to be cautious like mom. If the reverse had happened, I would be here asking for solutions to my very rash teen driver problems.

sindmani, Amica, yellowmango and 9 others like this.