1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disgusting Mil And Family

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ssainv, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ssainv

ssainv New IL'ite

hello all

I have grown up like a very happy person. I had so much freedom till my marriage. My parents are educated and i have grown up very modern and at the same time with a simple thinking and easy going lifestyle.

Suddenly everything has changed. I had been married to a stupid family who is very orthodox. They dont value relationships but gives lectures to everyone about relations. I dont have a good relationship with them right from marriage. DH is educated and supports me most of the time but he is still a momma boy.

So recently i had a baby and inlaws are here to look after my baby for 3 months. Its been very tough for me to adjust with them but still im happy they came for my baby. I work in a IT sector and i am used to be modern and wear western most of the time. But when inlaws are here i am atleast managing to wear decent clothes ( i mean jeans with long tops and kurtis). But still they dont want me to wear jeans. They everyday before i leave work curses me that i forgot indian culture, traditions etc etc. And eventually my day gets upset almost everyday. And if i wear a long long kurti with legging and tie my hair tight and wear all toe rings, gold earrings they are happy. They dont say anything. I started following this for the sake of my happiness for a day even though i dont like myself to look in to mirror. DH doesnt say anything here. Sometimes he supports me but his mom has a big mouth and she doesnt like if he supports me. This fights and discussions spoil both of our days. And we again fight and will have discussions over phone and chats while driving to work. This is all going from past month and we are not at all happy.

I am not able to concentrate on my work, baby anything. I am just not liking this way of lifestyle. I am loosing so much of memorable time with my baby worrying for this stupid people.

Today i had my periods and i am not used to sit seperate through out my life. But after my marriage, my husband started asking me to sit seperate for his and family hapiness. Since i love him, i started doing this for those 3 days. we use to eat out those 3 days. and i dont have problem till now. But this since inlaws are here, they are serving me everything. And today i went to load washer with my clothes and suddenly mil started shouting why are u touching those machines, why are u touching those detergents. I am like wtf. Those are just plastic and i am doing this everytime . Then the big fight started. She started scolding my parents and my brother and etc. My husband again supported me here saying its plastic only. if we want we can get other set of detergents for u . Mil couldnt tolerate husband supporting me and started bashing both of us. She says im very proud dil because of im working.

I am so so pissed of for everything and i feel useless of myself for being silent. I want to say only one thing for her- if im silent it doesnt mean that im wrong but its just my maturity that my parents gave me.

I will say this and will move on with next day.

But i want you people to respond and give me any suggestions how to be happy not thinking much. I just cant be happy with this all and i am literally waiting for that day when they leave to india.

And also dh wants to celebrate my sons bday in india. Please pour your suggestions how to stop him?

2. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

U r not even in India and you get to hear all the crap. Does ur H wear dhoti everyday and not pants? Does your H follow his grandfather footsteps and do agriculture or whatever his family elders were doing in the past?If no, does he get same lecture as you get? These ******** orthodox rules apply only to DIL and not even to daughters or sons..
    Plz stop listening to them and wear clothes and behave in your house as you like.

3. poi098

poi098 Bronze IL'ite

Consider yourself lucky that you don't stay with your in laws. Really lucky.
    They are here just temporarily. You just have to adjust for a few months. You have two options -
    1. Change your clothes when ever they are around - its fine, its only for few months, at least you will have peace in the relationship. Plus is just clothes- what difference does it make !! They are here to take care of your baby - so suck it up and wear Indian culture approved clothes.
    2. Ignore her words completely - Listen from one ear and push it out from the other ear. Wear what ever you want and don't let her words bother you at all. You are an adult and wear what ever you want.

These are the only two options. There is not third way out. Choose. And choose wisely.

About periods- tell her clearly that its not possible to follow period traditions in foreign countries. You cannot control your in laws but you can control your hubby. So tell him these stupid period rules should not apply in this day and age. If he wants u to follow these rules - either he should cook \ clean for those 3 days or let you do what ever you want.

BhumiBabe, Dishaa, NeetaR and 2 others like this.
  4. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Ssainv,

I would suggest you these.

1. Period is a god's exclusive gift to us and not any kind of sickness to be treated separately, no need to bug yourself into all these things.
    2. Dresses you can consider that too up to some extent you are comfortable with.
    3. You can hire a nanny and install a VDO camera in your residence and get it connected with your and DH mobiles.
    Once you stop depending / expecting things from others and try to resolve things on your end, I guess majority of your problem will get automatically resolved.

Best wishes...

EnlightenedSoul likes this.
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

How annoying, that what you do during your period and what you wear are scrutinized so much. Personally, what you wear is your business, especially when you are going to work. You should wear what you are comfortable in, and considering you are a modern girl working at American company... you have to adapt to the surroundings there. If you lived in India, wearing Indian clothes ALL the time makes sense. Ignore what your MIL says. She was ok with a working DIL, but she's not ok with a DIL who is independent? You at least wear Indian clothes for Indian festivals and events, that's enough.

About the period issue, why are you even responding to this nonsense? Sure your MIL is yelling, but she only has as much power as you give her. My MIL is not so strict about it, but she plans poojas and temple visits around my period, which is arcane in my book. The whole separating the girl during the period is to ensure that she rests and not overstrains herself by trying to take care of everybody else. Nowadays, it's not possible, because you only have a finite amount of time to finish things, and it's not like you are suffering period pains or anything. Like @poi098 said, let your husband know that you can't follow these traditions strictly in this modern age, unless he helps out and does that work for you. Usually, that's enough motivation for men to drop stupid traditions.

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

How does the MIL know you have your periods ? Can you keep it a secret so that you are not treated like a second class citizen? Let her keep guessing
    As for clothes, tell them there is a dress code at work. You cannot please them all the time .

blessings1010 likes this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Tell your husband, if inlaws want to spend time with the baby,they need to be civil with you.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  8. vanithaudt

vanithaudt Silver IL'ite

Oh dear I really feel bad for you and your hubby.they cant do this to you.

1. This home is yours(you and your hubbys). You have to make rules.
    2. You cant allow anyone degrading you under your own roof. You got to be fit enough to draw a line either parents or in laws.
    3. End of the day you both have to be happy peaceful and comfortable in your own home.

Be who you are and do what you are comfortable with. They will bend their rules if its their own daughter. They are doing drama at you.

You must be enjoying the percious time with uour little one not fighting with these people.

Being good, straight, honest wont work in indian family system. Be diplomatic and tactic with inlaws with sugar coated words say anyhing and get your way out by the name of good will and innocence.

9. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Ssainv,

I told about your issue with my DH and he suggested something bit funny but you can give it a try.

During your periods your MIL is not allowing you to touch anything, whenever your MIL comes out from her bath just touch her and if you FIL supports your MIL do the same for him also (keep on repeating this) let both of them be in bathroom in queue full time basis. I think within one day all this drama will stop.

For better results you can touch their feet (as offering pranam).

Best wishes...

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Lol!! that cracked me up