1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disclosing financial details with IL's

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by EatPrayLove, Jun 11, 2013.

1. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

My ILs are visiting us for 4 months, starting next month and I am already tense about tons of things that are going to come up. I will post them one by one but this thread is specifically about sharing financial details/arrangement with them.

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum, FIL is very nosy and is a control freak. He is highly opinionated and always thinks he is the right one and his ways are right. He is a retired bank employee and that automatically makes him the wisest in the family regarding financial matters, or so he thinks! DH and I are planning on investing in a property in India. IL's are already doing all possible research work, SIL and her husband are doing some serious builders hunting. While this is all in good intention and I am ever so grateful for them doing all this for us, I am majorly worried about FIL poking his nose into how we are going to manage our finances.

He has already started digging, and in our trip to India last month cornered DH alone has made silent enquiries about the loans that I was paying up, if they were complete and how much of my salary I would be contributing to the investment. DH and I have an arrangement between us, and we are fine by it. We have decided that we wouldn't both pool in all our resources in one investment so I am not going to be a major contributor to the property in question. DH gave him the general picture and I can tell he isn't very happy about this. He keeps mentioing about increasing loan rates and EMI's and how we should plan on paying up our loans ASAP.

Well, we aren't dumb to begin with. Only ground work and basic research is being made at this point for any investment and we haven't reached the stage where we can speak up numbers. So when the time comes, and we both (DH and I) feel the need to pay up loans together, we'd do it anyway. I just don't want FIL or MIL for that matter going about lecturing us the whole time or offer suggestion, or in the end make us do their bidding. MIL hints that she wants to give me some pointers as to how I manage financials and she's offer what she used to in her days. all that's good as long as they don't ask me what I do with my money. I am not answerable to anyone other than DH.

My FIL has some serious issues with my dad, it was the usual struggle between grrom's parents and bride's parents during wedding time but somehow he has twisted that into a thing where he believes my dad is dishonest and is after my money. He has checked my loan accounts behind all our backs and has tormented DH for months, asking why the past few months' EMI's haven't been paid up. I generally send money to my dad's account and he transfers them my loan account (he originally offered very stringly that I send the money directly to my loan account but it was DH who wnated to have this arrangement). My dad hadn't paid up the couple months' EMI some time between Jan-Mar this year for tax benefit reasons and he was to pay them up post april. FIL created a huge scene to DH that my dad was using up my money, for their trip to US last year and for all those expensive gifts they gave us for our anniversary.

DH trusts my dad and never told me about all this but he couldn't shut his dad up either. It was only mucch later that I got to know about this and I offered DH the explanation which he offered to his dad. FIL wasn't convinced even then and offered some bull**** reason about how my dad could have worked things out differently - Hello! My dad works for a bank too and he is at a much higher cadre than you were at, thank you!

So now, what should do I do?

1. Should I disclose all our financial arrangements (between DH and I, how we work our paychecks out each month) to FIL.

2. Should I politely ask him not to interfere? I am sure he isn't going to take it in the right spirit if I tell him so.

3. I am also concerned about how much of an influence he is going to have over DH in all this - DH can be easily influenced, esp by his parents when they soften him up the way they want to. But you know, it could be the other way too, I know he stood up for my dad when the other issue came up.

Help me out, people!

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Whether you tell them or don't tell them either ways you are not going to keep them happy.

They will complain about you from what you have mentioned.

2 approaches:

1. Don't tell them anything which would be rude as you are seeking their help in identifying the property.

2. Tell them but politely mention that you both will call the shots.

Don't mix up old issues - leave them alone. If you keep having that in mind you would be confusing yourself with pre-occupied thoughts. That would stop you from taking the right decision now & in future.

4 months should be passing by fast but might look like years - what to do? can't stop them visiting - can you?

2 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think responses will pour in on how to handle the 4 month visit while maintaining some financial privacy, but if they are doing so much for you - in-laws doing the research work, and SIL & her husband are seriously ooking for builders - then it is pretty hard to assert financial privacy and the right to keep your investment plans, loans status and monthly spending details between you and DH.

It is not fair, but that is how it is. It is like if parents or in-laws come over to help with delivery and baby care, then, their opinions and ways of doing things end up carrying some weight. Help from family often comes at a price.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Unless they are investing their own money in your properties, absolutely not. Even if they are, their knowledge should be limited to the investment under consideration. How you manage your finances is none of their business. If you tell them now, you will open yourself to more and more interference in future. My in-laws have no clue how much my hubby and I earn. We always give them a ballpark figure if they ask, never the actual amount. I don't see why they need to know such personal information.

I would advise against this. If someone needs to tell him (FIL) to mind his own business, it should be your husband. You say anything, you will become the impertinent DIL who insulted her FIL. It's your husband's job to handle his parents. Not yours.

This is a matter of concern. If your husband is easily influenced by his parents you might have some difficulty getting your way. But if you talk to him before they get here and calmly, rationally express your concerns, it will eliminate potential misunderstandings. So talk about your plans and decide together how much interference you will tolerate.

Remember with husbands, the key is never to get angry, emotional or blame his parents. If you put things across as a joint decision between you and him, a team that needs to work together, you will almost always get what you want. :thumbsup

6 people like this.
  5. Laxmi1980

Laxmi1980 Silver IL'ite

Ask your friends to do some research for you. These days so much information about properties in India are available on the net...Why do u want family to get involved in property matters?...Do some research yourself and its a bad idea to disclose financial details to either family according to me...But ur problem u know best and can definitely work out solutions accordingly..

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Ur FILs beef is that u seem to keep ur dad in the loop ..but when it comes to them its "My money..my DHs money" .This translates to insecurity.
    Talk to ur DH and come up with a plan and stick to it..parents/inlaws.

4 people like this.
  7. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

Sigghh! :( i think i realize that too :(

8. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

1. No - Donot disclose. There is no need to.
    2. Yes , ask your hubby to indicate to them that you are not interested in sharing this information. If you talk to them..then they will never understand. The best way is to not dismiss when he brings these things up at the same time do not respond or make ti look like it is told by a third person and jsut carry on with what you typically do.

1 person likes this.
  9. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

I don't get this thing with your FIL. the money transaction was between you, your father and husband, and it is your money, you can give it you your father for whatever trip you want or not, who is he to ask for justification from your father. i think you should concentrate on their 4 month stay. politely asking for non interference will back fire. I would say give them as little information as possible, most of the time don't refute/negate their opinion just nod and say 'lets see', be vague, talk of something else to change the topic. ignoring is a good option too.

2 people like this.
  10. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

Do not disclose financial details to anyone.....Its unhealthy

1 person likes this.