1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty to fall asleep for past few weeks..

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by SupriyaDinesh, Sep 3, 2010.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    This is how my son's(4 years old) usual bed time routine is.by 8:15 he is in Pjs,brushed and within few minute off to sleep.but for the past few weeks though he goes to bed by 8:15 he takes very long to fall asleep.he sleeps by 9:30 or 10. he keeps on tossing turning,rotating on the bed.i am getting frustrated.is he over tired?he waks up by 7:30 to go to school,which is full day.he doesnt sleep after coming home.
    what may be the problem?please share your thoughts.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am at the same stage now Supriya. DS has just dropped his afternoon nap and needs at least 12 hours' sleep even now to not be the emotional child. I have been trying to get him earlier and earlier to bed. 7.30 works well, but if I miss that time it is 10 pm. He also gets up at 7 am for school, though it is till noon, I cannot afford to have him sleep in the afternoon - fights to sleep at night and only goes down by 12!

3. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

True tikka, whenever DS has his cozy afternoon nap with my mom, at night he is more of an owl.. if we ask him to let us sleep, he keeps punching into the air for timepass, often kicking both of us not letting us sleep.. I so want to put him in a seperate bed with pillows to give him company so he can kick it away to glory. Also these days, he tries to sleep or atleast keep his eyes tightly closed until we drag him out of the bed and thats like 8am while he has to be in school at 9am. we prefer him to be up by 7am so that all his chores are done peacefully. But those days when he skips his afternoon nap, he sleeps by max 8pm and gets up by 7am.

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Tikka for the past few days,he sleeps by 8:45 and wakes around 6:30-7.can it be that 10-11 hours sleep is sufficient for him?

5. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Supriya, does he get to nap at school, before coming home? atleast for few mins?

to me, 11 hrs sounds ok.. may be it is a phase that he is trying to test his energy levels.. In a few days or weeks, he might go back to 12 hrs of sleep..

6. canreachus

canreachus Senior IL'ite

as per mine, 3 to 5 year kids need 10 to 12 hours of sleep everyday, this should not be less than 10 hours to complete the cycles of rapid eye moment,

if your kids doesn't sleep for minimum of 10 hours, then ensure that he gets tired with some our door activity

7. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

back with the same old problem... DS has his aft noon nap of abt 2 hours and he falls asleep after 10:30pm.. sometimes 10pm or even 11pm.. these days he has milk just before he goes to sleep.. but past few days he has been getting up in the middle of the night and start tossing all over.. he doesnt wake up actually but I know he is not in deep sleep.. if I talk to him he responds but he tosses over us for about an hour or so.. so we both loose our sleep too.. yest was a nightmare he simply didnt want to have his night milk and he got hungry in the middle of the night, I offered him some milk but he didnt want to drink.. he was tossing tossing and tossing for more than 3 hours.. I lost my sleep completly.. I am so stressed out due to lack of sleep.. I know he will be tired too.. is there any way that I help him to get good sleep in the night.. inturn we too can sleep better.. he is 3.6 yrs old..

8. canreachus

canreachus Senior IL'ite

Why do you allow him to sleep in the afternoon, rather engage him in outdoor activity and then check if he sleeps in time or not

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hi, my mom takes care of him during the day.. so after school, he comes back home, has lunch, play for sometime and takes a nap.. if we avoid this nap purposefully, there are times when he falls asleep after 4pm and that gives me worser nights.. also my mom cannot handle his activeness for continuos 8 hours.. so she gets to relax a bit while he naps.. thats why his aft. nap is not stopped yet.. I have to find other ways to keep him busy all afternoon.. hmm..

10. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

phew.. last night was better.. we all retired to bed only at 11pm and he was very tired so slept pretty well.. touchwood! he had his milk too so that helped..

Pss: I am yawning now :))))