1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Differential Treatment By In-laws Among Dh Siblings

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meet9, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

I do not stay with my in-laws. I have had the luck of hardly staying with them, but still they have impacted our lives a lot thanks to DH being blind to all the manipulative techniques my in laws used.

However it seems like they will be frequently visiting us..in US..so basically not less than 3 or 4 months..
    So now seeing some issues beforehand, I would like to ask suggestions from you all:

1. my in laws have never shared any family event pics, videos etc with me..my SIL never shared her kids pics when they were growing up..my BIL has been doing this just for namesake...we have pointed this to them 100 times, nothing happens ..all they lies and excuses that they did not click many pics etc (which is a big lie, we saw loadful of snaps in FIL jumpdrive of all the events and family functions they had )..and my DH and I argue over it like its a big issue....Last time when we met my in laws, all my FIL did was click videos and pics of my family and passed it on to BIL and SIL ..it was my kids' ceremony..next time he met me, he kept on clicking non stop everyday..it has made me too uncomfortable....we finally had a big argument with in laws as to why they dont share etc..again...nth time and FIL acted as if he didnt understand it earlier and acted dumb..and said from now onwards we would share.....1 yr has passed..all he does is very cleverly manipulatively sends old pics and 1 or 2 new current pics of other grandkids etc...its like I am fed up of arguing over this..with him arguing means getting angry hurt and affecting my health.....and I DO NOT WANT to share anymore..how can I say them no when they visit us...I am fed up spending my time and energy explaining it hurts when they dont involve us in family while they give a live-commentary of what we are doing to other siblings....how do i deal with this sh*t of my FIL.....its not just the pics/videos, its the family stuff as well..he shares everything my DH tells him to the SIL and BIL and he has selectively kept my DH isolated of all these things....it makes me suffer like crazy as i love my DH very much....he suffers too...but they are like stones..they have no budged since these last 10 years...they are united in keeping us isolated..and this has caused me take stern decision of living with detachment as trying to attach, making relationship go constructive way has always caused me deep emotional hut affecting my health and family harmony......I have never seen a cleverer miser person as my FIL in my life.....

2. my SIL is 2 years elder to me..in laws have made my life hell by comparing me with her in everything....she is a housewife and have never was interested in studies...in looks she is ok but obese..she has always been extremely jealous of my romantic life with my hubby, my education, my looks, the way I speak and mingle in friendly manner with everyone and I dont have any insecurity....insecure people are the MOST dangerous ones....my MIL crazily wants me to put on weight like her daughter...SIL does not restrict her diet, and is struggling losing weight since I met her and DH...I was also overweight but not like her, and by doing hard work exercise and keeping a tab on my diet I lost all the weight..so when they met me they were shocked to see me...all they did was kept on piling my plates with fat laden foods...its not that I am dieting I eat those, I have natural preference for eating healthy foods...I was overweight due to eating lot of carbs but I naturally dont like to eat sweets, or fried stuff, it gives me acidity and its hard to digest...so it was v shocking for them when I told I dont eat this or that..My FIL made such a big deal out of it..out of his jealousy/whatever, he is telling everyone he meets that I am dieting very strictly, I do this or that....I really dont like people commenting on my eating habits..when I am also struggling so much.... my MIL crossed the limits when she told me to eat 10 idlis in breakfast !!!!!! I was shocked...I cannot stuff more than 3 medium sized ones at one go...and she said I should eat 10s..they keep a check what I PUT on plate, they put ghee in my food in hidden manner (I caught my MIL adding ghee...to my plate only..underside the roti not on top...)I do not eat ghee...I have fats from butter or very occassionaly i eat halwa..but I do not like the taste of ghee..since my childhood I have never liked ghee..so I know its taste when its there in food and i can only vomit..this is not acceptable to them as their daughter loves to gorge on ghee sweets etc..since I dont like these foods, they feel I am on strict diet...I am just so much fed up on them....1 month i stayed with them, their Goal was to keep making me eat every 2 hrs...if i am not hungry my MIL would say I am fasting!! when I was staying with my parents, they visited once, I was having flavoured curd once, and behind my back, in the fridge they were checking what I was eating whether it is some weight loss stuff...I am believer in healthy eating doing hard work like exercise, being active...their daughter is TBH when I saw her here in US, she used to use remote control button to switch off lights in the room...walking was boring for her and sweets and ghee is her weakness...if she has these habits, why the hell are they bent on making me fat and unhealthy......despite being obese their daughter have no health issues while if I gain even a few kgs extra, I start having my asthma out of control.....my in laws dont care about whether i die or live or have serious health issues, they know if I gain weight I start having health problems but they act as if they dont know...all they care is that I should not be looking good in front of their daughter.....all they do when they see me even on webcam comment on my body my face (my face is slim i am dieting) I am so much fed up of them that it is literally not possible for me to stay with them..however, DH says that if we dont spend time with them, out kids will never know grandparents...also in relatives my FIL already passes a lot of negative imaginary things about me..he has already bad mouthed me among relatives but he doesnt tell his side of mistakes or his unfair side....any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I feel I married in this family coming from a different background, they have acted so cheap with me I have never seen such cheap and non-mannered, egoistic people in my life.. but alas such people have become my extended family.....

thanks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...you don't live with them .None of this should bother you from long distance.
    Why do you care so much if they don't share pictures with you ? That means they are not as close to you all and that is never such a bad thing with inlaws .A bit of distance is always good.A lot of people who are hounded by in laws on social media would love to be in your shoes.

As for the over feeding and fattening up stuff...just say no.Maybe that is the way they show love and their daughter is showing the effects of that love. Do you want them to be loving towards you?...you will probably have to stuff that fattening stuff too.

Just say your doctor has advised a different diet or just say you don't want to become fat. Stay away and stay slim and unliked.It is not such a bad deal.

3. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Yellowmango for your succint and nice reply.
    I actually dont care if they share their pics or not anymore...I want to be at a phase of "Dont ask dont give".. I am at peace by being detached from them and DH is supporting me on that....If they share their kids pics I will share else that too would not happen..I am following a "silence/no comments" mantra if they try to piss me off..I just lose my patience and feel v irritated when they persistently bug me for MY pics (to check if I am becoming more slim/fat, because thats what their comments are about everytime they see me) and also they are persistent in front of everyone that "i DONT eat/diet strictly even though I finish overeating in front of them....:)

4. Itshightime

Itshightime Bronze IL'ite

My father (He is highly educated, well-established businessman, traveled around the world) corrects both me and my SIL over our eating habits infront of hall full of people. We don't mind that b'coz we know he is doing that out of love for us. I am a foodie. He asks me to keep a check on all unhealthy food I gobble. While, my SIL wouldn't eat 2nd roti b'coz she drank a glass of water and her stomach is full. He corrects her too.

Indians show their love by feeding more (sweets and fats). Pujaris and bhatjis in India are served a bowl full of ghee. I know it sounds gross but this is India and we are Indians. We overdo everything.

People who are born and raised in India will understand it.

5. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

It is nice that your Father does not differentiate between you and SIL..good for your SIL..
    And he is highly educated etc .. so he knows the ill effects of eating unhealthy food..what if it were opposite?? Like forcing you to eat unhealthy stuff and you want to maintain good health???? How would you react if it were your FIL and not father? More so, if he just picked you give unhealthy stuff while giving good healthy stuff to your SIL? Would you eat that stuff to maintain peace harmony? Would you be fool enough to consider it LOVE?

I say if you offer sugary stuff to a diabetic person "out of love", then is it really love? Are you not being his or her enemy by serving or forcing him things that he is not supposed to have??

My Parents in law are clearly jealous that their daughter who is obese is not able to control her food habits while me as a DIL has reduced weight due to hard work exercise and trying to maintain my health so that I am here for my kids

We are not dumb not to see the difference between love care and jealousy and insecurity

It's easy for a healthy young person who has not yet been affected by any diseases to preach and say "kha lo Kuch nahi Hoga , oh you diet a lot, etc"

I am born and raised in India, trend is changing in cities maybe in some towns enforcing guests a lot of ghee and fatty stuff is still considered to be out of love....my side family (from Delhi) don't force anyone to eat unhealthy knowing that it will affect their health. We offer but don't force and comment on eating habits, its basic good manners not to pick anyone suffering from health issues and making a mockery of their condition..

If you have good health despite eating bad stuff then maybe you lucky for now but not for long.. maybe you have good genes but not all people are like that..

As a family member you need to be sensitive to them if you as a family will start making them uncomfortable they are bound to avoid you (of course if they are not fool enough to put their health in jeopardy to maintain peace and harmony)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. bravo1809

bravo1809 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Meet9

I feel for you. When dh is at work go for shopping or library for some time and then come back. Eat in your room and rest. Evening dinner u can all have it together. Don't let all this effect you.

Just eat what u want. Don't answer their comments. Is it possible for u to ignore them? They seem very nasty.

Meet9 likes this.
  7. Itshightime

Itshightime Bronze IL'ite

All I can say is make adjustments for your beloved husband. They are very small issues. We Indians are like that. Accept that. You hardly meet them. Be happy when you do. Do not get stressed. If you cannot eat, tell them you had to finish your kid's breakfast/meal and you are full now.

For me, if I do not eat, I find myself getting into depression. I would rather have my kids a fat mom than a stressed mom. My weight gain was caused by two miscarriages, steroids as a form of medicine from foolish docs and family stress.

Meet9 likes this.
  8. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Yes I feel that is going to be the only saving grace, yes I am ignoring them, they are in India but when they are around it will be very tough to ignore them or not to comment, because if I do that, they will bad mouth about me to every relative present in US, they will call them and say we are getting bored, come and take us..both DH and me will be bad mouthed....I am feeling its a lose-lose situation, in no way can they be really happy with me, if I please them, i suffer..

9. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks! I am fine if we hardly meet them, but if they get their 10 yr tourist visa then my FIL will be bubbling to come here every year which of course I cannot tolerate..its like they will always be on your head ready to come at the drop of hat..
    its interesting to know that you too gained weight after miscarriage, I was on path to lose weight and almost 10 pounds away from goal weight when I became pregnant, my MC happened at 10 weeks (which was a bit late) but in those 10 weeks I hardly gained anything, then after MC, until my periods returned I ballooned up 8 kgs more..without eating extra...that plus TTC again, and now preganant I am back to weighing almost 40 pounds more than ideal weight.....I hope to lose it within 6 to 8 months of delivery provided my ILs are not around me....
    stress and sleeplessness also makes me fat..

10. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@Meet9- I felt like I was reading my own experience for a second.

My MIL stayed with me for 2-3 weeks when I was 6-7 months pregnant and made me eat loads of idli/dosas and criticized me when I want to exercise ( Coz I wasn't fat enough when I was preggos). I ended up having Gestational Diabetes for the rest of the pregnancy ( Which I had to deal with, Diabetes is a threat to me. One simple thing she did several months back has such negative effect on my lifestyle currently-- I end up measuring everything I eat)

My MIL who fed my DH and SIL when they were younger, nothing but maggie and sugar-- had a lot to say about home prepared "rava idli". My MIL compares me a lot to my SIL. Our kids are also compared. The thing is my DH and SIL can't see how their mother comes across to their DIL. They see her as Goddess who can't do anything wrong. Ask my SIL about her MIL-- She will have a truck load to say.

See my point is as long as PIL's are there-- this won't stop. Change your attitude towards them and your approach.

My 2 cents-
    1.You can't change them, if you see your MIL pour ghee or criticize you of dieting- Boldly accept and say yes "I am dieting". My doctor has said not to eat ghee or friend items. I am following the doctor's diet. It is safe to be healthy than to fall sick or multiple health conditions for the rest of the life. If your FIL tells every Tom, Dick and Harry-- that you are dieting.
    Don't be ashamed use the same tactics and talk to that person in front of your FIL and say "uncleji, in today's world of diabetes and excessive cholesterol-- my doctor has suggested a clean eating. Nothing wrong na to follow it. Who will take care of our children if we have a life long condition?" Sometimes getting a stranger's support will shed some healthy light toward you in your PIL's eye. To be honest, most of Indians are health conscious, they go to gym or on diet.

If your MIL pours ghee on everything, don't eat.Tell her, sorry I am suggested not to eat ghee. Sorry. I cant. WALK AWAY after saying this. Don't let her question, force you, or passively talk you into eating it. Ignoring helps too--If you are like me who doesn't take ****. Talk it out without getting into an argument, have plenty of comebacks, think before you talk and sometimes giving cold shoulder when its necessary.

2. Restrict sharing too many pics with your PIL's. Tell your DH that you will take control on sharing the pics and share limited or old ones. Sharing doesn't mean they love your kid.
    Yes, the love for grandparents is important. Dont restrict your children being with them when they are in the US ( tell this to your DH)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    bravo1809 likes this.