1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Differences

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by sindmani, Sep 25, 2017.

1. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Ashok's dad Mr Hari was a supervisor in a factory. Hari wanted his only son to become an IAS officer. He is doing his B.SC in computer science 2nd year. He is also going to IAS coaching class. Somewhere Ashok felt pressured as he was least interested in becoming an IAS. So he reluctantly goes to the class. Computer science also was tough for him. He once kept an arrear in a 2 subjects but he was sure he will clear it this semester.
    As Mr Hari worked very hard to reach this level after completing his 12 th standard and did not have money to study in college . He started his career as a labour in factory at the age of 18. Now at 45 years he is a supervisor. He wants his son to do well in life.

Archanaanchan likes this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

One fine day Hari was really disturbed as he got scolding from his professor for not completing his short term project successfully. He felt low. In his IAS coaching class too as usual he felt left out and dull. He felt a stress in his heart. Suddenly an idea dawned to him. He remembered his friend Akshay who is now working in McDonald's as delivery person and earning Rs10000 plus incentive. Akshay started working after 12th std itself. Now he wanted to join too in McDonald's.

Thyagarajan and Nonya like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Nice story @sindmani. I remember a conversation from a McDonald restaurant. There were two kids 8, 10 year olds. One girl and one boy. They both got one happy meal each, I had a fish sandwich and a diet coke. Happy meals cost about $3 on the average - comes with a tiny fries, another side, and a drink with one of chicken, hamburger, or cheeseburger. Pretty good meal for a child.
    One of them asks me how much it costs to buy a happy meal. I say $3. And see that the information went in and moved some cranks and levers in those little heads. So I give them a math problem about happiness.

A happy meal is $3. one has to eat three happy meals a day. How much would that cost that person? <The answer came back right pronto... $9 >

I raise the difficulty of the problem and ask: There are 30 days in a month. How much would it cost to eat happy meals for a whole month? The 9 times 30 sum was a bit more difficult. One of them was air-writing with a finger, and the other one wrote on the inside of the sandwich wrap with a ketchup wet finger. And both got to $270 with some difficulty. I was so pleased. I promised to buy them ice creams in the DairyQueen that was not too far away.
    "Almost $300 for a month, isn't it ?", I asked. They both agreed shaking their head in amazement for what a lot of money that was.

I wanted to see if they'd have the attention span for one more question. So I go,"what if the person wants to be happy for one whole year? If it is 300 dollars a month, how much would it be for a whole year?". Once again, the air-finger comes out, and the other one gets up to go and fetch another sachet of ketchup. After some messing about, they come up with the cost of happiness for a whole year.​

There is one age when children could be happy all year with $3600, a little older child would find driving around in a delivery scooter as a cool job, if there is also some Rs 10000 + incentives that comes with it. It is a tough challenge to direct one's own children who are legally adults, and may choose something without any strategic scheme about the future.

Children usually pay attention to some non-parent on matters of what is a right/clever/sensible thing to do. Uncles, aunties, teacher, sports-team-coach, or friends of the family, are the usual characters who step in to help out. Clever parents always had cultivated such child-whisperers and made sure that their kids had the right level of exposure to those people.

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@Nonya absolutely. So the trick is one coveys what he or she want their children to achieve through their pals! It works universally.
    Regards.
    :hello:@sindmani
    What he abandoned he was thrusting upon his son or daughter. But presently in most families what they could not afford or achieve in their student days, they find fulfilment of those goals indirectly through their children. That is how half of IITians are in US. THANKS.
    Regards.

5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Now Ashok talked with Akshay. Akshay and Ashok went to the MCDONALD'S branch . Ashok too got the job. He went home to tell Hari about this. Hari was shocked , he shouted at Ashok and told that he will never speak to him . Ashok felt bad but he had no choice. He thought his dad would change his mind one day. Bit an other 6 months passed with out talking with dad. His mom tried to console Hari bit in vain.one day the factory 's substaff Mr vivek's son Rams came to join the factory as a labour. Hari told Rama the timings and duties to be followed. Rams seemed to do well his job. After few days during the lunch time hari saw Rama reading a book. He was hapoh to see this
    He went to Rama and asked what He was reading , Rama told he joined B.A (economics)in correspondence and was studying for his exam. Hari felt very happy , he blessed Rama. The next day he met Vivek at his home. He appreciated him a lot . He requested him to ask for any help regarding Rama's studies.After his exams Rama scored good marks. Hari helped him secure a job as an accountant in his relative's concern. Hari felt a sense of satisfaction as if his own son got his graduation. He made Rama opt to do MBA in correspondence. Ashok wanted to start self employment . Ashok helped him get a loan in the bank. He was sure his son will come up in business. All is well.

Thyagarajan and Nonya like this.
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Parents have a tough life, don't they?
    They work hard, sacrifice their pleasures, and use the money to get the right sorts of opportunities for the children. But the children go on, waste the money, and screw it all up. And force the parents to lower the bar for the kids, and watch them join the army of mediocre grunts.
    Should young people nip it in the bud ? Not spawn at all ? And engage in pursuits that they enjoy, instead of messing about with children?

sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.