1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diarrhea for 6 month old URGENT!!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by charmingpooh, Mar 17, 2010.

1. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

hi all

we reached US 10 days back.my 6months old DD is suffering from diarhea almost 6 days. I was giving cerelac and bf. i gave rice kanji sometimes.
    but she is going watery kind of motion. passing 5 times a day. she is active. pediatrician suggested to give pedialyte.

i dont know what food i can give her. she was normal in india.can i give rice cerelac?i thought to start veg and friuts but because of this, i stopped. please throw me some lights immediately ladies.

thanks
    poornima

2. Sreyavas

Sreyavas Bronze IL'ite

Hi poornima,

I think , During the journey several types of bacteria consumed through contaminated food and water cause diarrhea.

Are you using tap water here in US for your baby stop using it right away, you will find water Bottles for babies in walmart use it until 1yr , this also could be one reason.

Give your infant baby a lot of fluids to prevent dehydration.

Besides pedialyte for every 4-6hrs , . Follow BRATdiet (banana, rice cereal, applesauce, toast,(fluids)) during diarrhea.

if your baby is on solid foods give her applesauce , strained bananas, strained carrots,rice ceral and oat meal.

no milk products,

hope these work for you as well..,

besides all these give her lots of kisses from my behalf , that works too.

take care ..

Luv
    sreya.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  3. geethabm

geethabm Senior IL'ite

Hi Poornima..

this is quite common in some of the children who come to a different place in such a small age.. it will take some time for them to adjust with the climate , water etc..
    this should be mainly because of water change.. dont get panic .. she will get well... till then, better if u dont try too many foods on her.. may be for a week or so.. once she is totally fine.. u can start with the foods slowly..
    First of all, if u r using milk for her.. i suggest u to use only ORGANIC MILK for children as the regular ones and in many foods in US, hormones will be there. which wil lead to overgrowth either in weight or height of children..
    Boil the water which u r using for your baby atleast for another yr... i think u should stick to cerelac and milk ..
    any illness that comes to children , will take 3 to 5 days to get cured even if u take or do not take medicines.. That too, in US, doctors dont give 2 3 medicines unlike india.. that too, only if required...
    See to that, ur baby doesnot get dehydrated because of loose motions.. that will make her weak.. u can make her drink few drops of water with little honey.. once in a while.. that will not allow the body to get dehydrated...
    u can try gerber fruit pulps which are available in numerous varieties in any store.. usually docs dont suggest to give milk during motions..
    :thumbsup

4. charmingpooh

lot of Thanks sreya. useful suggestions from you.we are using mineral water for her to mix with cerelac. I will ask for baby water bottle in walmart. Upto now i gave rice kanji,idli,dhal water ontly to her in india. can i introduce BRAT diet in this situation??

thanks
    poornima

5. charmingpooh

many thanks to your time geetha.

I am giving BM only and will get baby water bottle to give rice kanji,cerelac. not giving milk as you said.i will try honey also..

will ask for you for any suggestions

thanks
    poornima

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poornima, cerelac has milk in it. Just in case, you were not aware of that. As you are already giving her rice kanji, i would just lay off cerelac. Also, best to avoid foods that have a high fibre content, ends up prolonging the healing process. Just plain starchy stuff like the BRAT diet that a PP has mentioned will work well.
    IMO, bfing more frequently will take care of hydration. For very young children it does take a while before their guts can heal and they can return to their normal bowel pattern, so give her sometime to get well.

7. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Poornima,

DD too had a diarrohea around this time. What we noticed is that the dal was not agreeing with her so stopped the dal water. She was on BM during the diarrohea. Formulae should be stopped. Hygiene needs to be taken care of. Around six months the baby puts everything in the mouth so then we washed the toys everyday and also frequent washing of hands.

Diarrohea will last for a week. In case of acute diarrohea doctor might recommend a stool test. A natural remedy which helped me is - in a glass of boiled water, squeeze a two drops of lime add a pinch of sugar and salt and give to the baby one tsp at a time. Also a scrape of roasted jaiphal boiled in two tsps of water did arrest the diarrohea and I found it effective too.
    Apple was the only fruit which suited DD during diarrohea. Rice too can be given. Most kids do not like ORS, in case of diarrohea, BM is the best cure.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  8. lucky7

lucky7 New IL'ite

HONEY shoulnot be given to infants below one year it can cause infant botulism

9. Gaur78

Gaur78 Gold IL'ite

Hello Healthonmove,

Stop reviving the old threads !! Please see the start date of thread when you post your response. I'm quite skeptical about your intention to post your response only to threads talking about diarrhea. BTW, what is the need to post diarrhea remedies in verbal diarrhea thread?

10. nandhini4

nandhini4 Bronze IL'ite

Pls give arroti mavu Kanchi..