Diabetes and TTC

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by happyperson, Feb 19, 2011.

1. happyperson

happyperson Gold IL'ite

Hi IL friends

I am in TTC phase and i am having diabetes from last 3 years. For the first two years i was trying to control through diet and exercise. Then when i started TTC, doctor put me on Metformin and then on Amaryl. It was in control. When i was on vacation to India, i consulted an Ayurvedic doctor for getting pregnant. He provided arishtam, choornam and others to be taken with diet plan for achieving pregnance and Amritha Mehari Choornam for diabetes. I see the sugar in good number when i take it random during day time (120-130) but when i test in morning (fasting) it is high like 160-180. Getting confused with it. I am scared of taking Allopathy as i read it would result in miscarriage, deterioration of bones, etc.

Please let me know if any of you seen such peculiar condition.

Cheers

2. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi 'happyperson',

People practising alternative medicine, like Ayrvedic medicine, Homeopathic medicine, Unani medicine etc, keep selling the idea that allopathy is harmful, it will cause miscarriage , bone damage etc. To a great extent these ideas have influenced common people like you.

Be it allopathy or ayurvedic medicine, nothing is free from harm. Every single medication has to be researched rigorously, before it is allowed to be sold to people. Right now, the entire world relies on one agency.......that is FDA of USA. Every drug of allopathy goes through four phases of trials lasting for years. The first phase is done in animal models.......second in volunteers...........third in select patients......so on and so forth. without going into these details, I just want to emphasise on one fact that every allopathic medication goes through this rigorous quality appraisal, before it reaches market.

The medications you are taking Amaryl(glimeperide) and Metformin are also well tested and free from complications.

The process of diabetes itself is having a complication of high incidence of miscarriage, when compared to pregnancy in normal woman. This is the bitter reality. To minimise this complication the process of diabetes should be kept under strict control.

Your Fasting Blood Glucose should be less than 110 mg/ dl.

Post Prandial Blood glucose less than 140 mg / dl.

Your HbA1C should be less than 7 mg /dl (checked once in three months - reflects the status of diabetic control over the last three months).

If the above three parameters are well within control, that means, the chances of miscarriage will be reduced to least.

Please stay away from myths like allopathy is harmful and ayurvedic medicine is harmless........for your own good. Analyse fact through various sources, before believing anything blindly.

Today , information is accessible to every one , easily.

1 person likes this.
  3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Happy person,
    Welcome here... :)
    I second Indianguy in this... Allopathy has been tested properly, list out the ingredients clearly & mentions the most possible side effects but what Ayurvedic doctors offers on their medication? Just a belief on them & their medicines... If you want to go with them, check their reputation & their experience.
    Metformin has been used quite commonly among those who have PCOS. It has some side effects but you can manage it very soon! Just stick to some medication & go ahead!
    Baby dust to you.

4. SreeyaNair

SreeyaNair New IL'ite

Hi Happyperson,

Am also a diabetic and trying to conceive. Was going through posts in IL and happened to find yours. How are you doing? What treatment are you going through now?

Sreeya

5. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

I am also prone to dibetics i guess.
    my sugar is under controlled nos when i test it but when i do glucose test i get high nos.
    right now i am controlling it with exercise and diet. u need to take small meals instead big one.

1 person likes this.
  6. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

I would not term Allopathy as a devil and Alternate meds as Angels, with Allopathy u hv the FDA regulations which are quite stringent so u can be fairly sure of the risks u hv, in case of Alternate meds like Kerala Ayurvedic, Ayurvedic meds which are from north India, Sidda etc, the texts are genuine but over the years the process of preparation has undergone lots of changes and the effect and side effect have not been tested as such while these meds may be good but these can also cause liver n kidney damages like wht the allpathy drugs claim as warning on the medical strips or the warning slips inside

7. happyperson

happyperson Gold IL'ite

Hi Sreeya

I had to start medication to have my blood sugar under control. I am taking Glymperide 2 mg/night. This is a small dosage. I have also brought a change in my life style. I have stopped direct sugars completely. When i go out as well, i make sure that my carb intake is controlled. I do walking 5 days a week. Keep your dinner protein rich. This is helping me.

Hope you get the numbers in control as well. Let me know if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help. Take care.

8. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

hi happy person. Am diabetic and blessed with gal baby. Dont worry. You ll hold ur lo soon.

9. happyperson

happyperson Gold IL'ite

Thank You Onesweetlife!! Your message came in like a positive vibe for me. I am planning to go for IVY in May/June time frame. Planning to shed weight before this treatment.

Thank You for your kind words.

1 person likes this.
  10. SreeyaNair

SreeyaNair New IL'ite

You are right Swatir23.... read in an article that its very important not to have too random glucose increase... it should be rather slow and gradual...