1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Brand Basmati rice from Costco

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Goodwill, May 24, 2010.

1. Goodwill

Goodwill Senior IL'ite

Hello friends,

Has anyone used Deer brand basmati rice from Costco. I bought it and have been using it for the past 2 weeks. It doesn't smell like or taste like basmati rice upon cooking. The variety rice doesn't come out well. I even tried it using less water but still the consistency and aroma is missing. Previously I used to buy Royal brand basmati rice which was good. Now they have only Deer brand available. I live in the NorthEast and does anyone have any suggestions for basmati rice from Indian stores (not too expensive please)....I hate to buy such pricier items at Indian store .....:spin

Need your suggestions friends....Thanks!

2. cool09

cool09 Senior IL'ite

Even I had the same feeling when i bought Deer brand from costco just beacuse they did not have royal basmati..u can try using tilda basmati rice which smells really good when u make pulao/biriyani..or try himalaya basmati..JMO..lets know it from other IL's too!

3. Goodwill

Goodwill Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the superfast response Cool09...

Pls friends...include the size and price as well.

Thanks a bunch!

4. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Goodwill,

I have been using Swad brand Dehraduni basmati rice from Patel past4yrs, i like to mention i can give 75% for the aroma.

I always get wellcooked, i use to soak for 30minutes and cook. I get nice full length and seperate grains always.

Last time(some 5months back) i remember it buying for $20 10lbs when youbuyone, you get one free. I generally use only for pulaov and biryani rice so it comes for long.

Last edited: May 24, 2010