1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Decked up for R-Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kottravai, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Kootravai, I hope you will not mind if I respond here to Cheeniya sir :)
    Dear Cheeniya sir, this had to catch my attention - how can it not! I am sure you have heard of Seasonal affective disorder - look at that, it is commonly known as SAD. I do personally feel the need for all those lights, serial or not, in winters. So I deck up the house with lights around Deepavali and keep them on till almost the end of January citing one or the occassion - Indian or western. Cheeniya sir to keep me up and in spirits I have gone ahead and changed all the lights in the down stairs of our house to tube lights (they are called 'sun light" lights here) just that I can feel the vibrance of light!

Perhaps the Governer is doing the same - fighting his SAD state of being a Governer :-( in the most commonly known way :) I guess.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama
    I know a number of people who suffer from PAD, Permanent Affective Disorder. SAD isn't it? This is about the only time that it is better to be down with SAD than PAD! I know lights uplift our moods. I remember the early '70s when I used to take my little daughters for a dekko at the beautifully lit Vidhan Soudha in Bangalore. It had a mesmerising effect on them. But sagging spirits sag more in bright light. Darkness is their preferred type of illumination. Take a jilted lover for example. Ho would love sulking in total darkness than in a gloriously lit room. The reason is simple. He would not want to attract attention.

What you are doing to your house is just to enhance your already chirpy mood. I find it hard to imagine you with sagging spirits. Mood swings are treatable with light and sound but not a sagging spirit.
    Sri
    PS: Sorry to take up your space Kottravai!

3. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Sorry for this delayed response, Pushpa Mami.

Hmmm, what you have said could be true. It would fit her style.

4. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Thank you, Satchi! :)

5. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Sure, Sir!

6. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Not at all, Sabitha!

I do agree with you on the SAD issue. Our lives on Earth revolves around the Sun, literally. Our biological clocks are also tuned with respect to the Sun. Fortunately, in India, we have the Sun almost all through the year and we do not miss the Sun. We sleep when it becomes dark and wake up when it is light again. But, once we move out of India, especially during Winter, we have to consciously set the time to go to sleep(and wake up), for the missing Sun wreaks havoc on our biological clock(the simple thing gets utterly confused and the body ends up over-worked). It is very depressing to see the dull, grey clouds, staring gloomily down at us poor humans, for days together. Maybe, that's why they have their main festivals in winter and light up the places with coloured lamps - just to drive away the depressing gloom.

SAD state of Governor?? Hmm, could be true... :)

7. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Not a problem at all, Sri Sir. I'm indeed happy that my thread has some good discussions going on in it. :)

True, Sir, sagging spirits might prefer darkness not only to not attract attention but also because they despise the cheerful world in their grief and despair. Anything that is cheerful and lively might remind them of their losses and re-kindle their grief and push them further into their shells. Just my 2 cents.

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Kottravi
    Nice to read about the republic day in the Raj Bhavan of Chennai....
    I hope atleast once in a year thease people clean up the place or those places are so shabby.....

9. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl, Aruna!

10. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Who knows Kotravai..?there may be a huge political reason behind this change..anyway I got to know about this from your lovely words..:)

nice post dear...