1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Decked up for R-Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kottravai, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

With the 63rd Republic Day of India round the corner, you might assume that I’m here to share my views on how I’m going to celebrate it. Well, thankfully (for the readers), no :). Well, there’s always the patriotic posts and greetings that come one’s way twice a year - once on Republic Day and once on Independence Day. After all that hoopalah and flag-waving, nothing changes, and we are back to our usual selves, doing things saying, ‘This is how it is done in India’. The one addition would be the sad state of the numerous plastic flags strewn on the roads, waiting for rag-pickers to pick them up. :spinNo, I’m not taking that line as well.

You may begin to wonder, “Where is she getting at?:rant” Well, there is this old and famous building in Chennai, that still boasts of a good ‘green area’ and that plays host to the Governor of TamilNadu – The Raj Bhavan. It has always been a low-key place, quite apt for a Governor to count his numerous pins in absolute peace. Until some time ago, its walls were adorned with paintings depicting historical monuments and some incomplete works. Sometime last week, I noted that all the walls had been white-washed. I was wondering as to what was happening. Then, day before yesterday, I noticed that the gates at the entrance and the trees accommodating the gates were all suddenly lit up with serial lights. I thought that maybe there’s a wedding in our new Governor’s family and shrugged it off – well, I keep away from the lot named politicians.

Yesterday, I was travelling back home and that is when the truth hit me. What I saw in a passing glance was that the whole place was lit up; there were these light forms of our Indian flag, a map of India and a greeting – Happy Republic Day – I was so surprised that such a drastic action had come out of a hitherto respectfully lethargic place- maybe our new Governor got tired of counting his pins and letterheads and wanted a little colour, a little drama to spice up his life. :rotfl:rotfl

Maybe, I am wrong to be surprised at this sudden activity happening at the Governor’s manor as this is the first time I’m commuting at the vicinity of this place around this time. :hide: Chennaiites, have you seen something like this earlier?

3 people like this.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kottravai,

When I visited India last year, I also noticed these paintings on the walls, depicting, our culture,etc and asked my father, what is this all about..he answered that may be this is the way they want to get rid off, posters under 'stick no bills' :biglaugh: and he also told me that it is like 'two mangoes in a single stone' , just to get rid off those unwanted ads and also to show our forgotten rich culture to our own people and also to the visiting foreigners.

Your post reminded me of the above incident
    maybe..:wink:

Sriniketan

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Happy Republic Day kottravai....if I can say that that way. For me growing up Republic day was all about getting qualified for the parade as part of NCC and I took a lot of pride in that.

Well, what you say may be true - the governer as an appointed official must be tired of just be a yay sayer and must be going out to prove and enjoy his stay in the building. I am sure it is refreshing!

4. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Some good change ! Hope other things change too........by the way,for the parade here, why did ALL the dance groups dance to the SAME kummi song ? It was soooooooo boring. Like scratched record.

5. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Hi Srini,
    Thanks for being the first one to give fb. There was a 3rd mango that was the primary aim of the stone - I remember that a few years back, when the flex boards were introduced, many artists who used to earn a living by painting posters/wall graffiti, suddenly became jobless. Their poverty eventually reached so low that it was brought to the Govt.'s notice and in a bid to give them some work and make the city look beautiful [remember 'Singara Chennai'], their skills were utilized.

6. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Belated wishes to you, too, Sabitha. Thanks for dropping by.

Yeah, even my sister was in the NCC and 2 main events they geared up for were Independence Day Parade and Republic Day Parade. Yesterday, I was thinking of those things and the pride, rank and honour associated with having been part of the Republic Day Parade.

For me and my family, Republic Day is a day when we sit glued to the TV for a couple of hours to see the parade, the military might and finally the SuryaKirans' and other teams' Air Show. Sadly, this year, our TV was out of order for some time and we could not watch the Delhi parade.

7. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Thanks for dropping by, Swarnalatha.

As I mentioned in my reply to Sabitha, I was able to watch only a few minutes of the Republic Day Parade, that happened in Chennai. And I saw 2 teams dancing to the same 'Senthamizh Naadennum Bothinile'. Didn't realise that all teams danced to the same tune. Is there such a dearth of national songs or was it an order from Big Momma, i wonder?

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kottravai,
    The previous government wanted to beautify all the walls of the government buildings with scenes from Tamil Kappiams and other natural scenaries. Perhaps the present government now had started whitewashing them as they do not want anything of the past government visible to people.
    Love,
    PS

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kottravai,

A refreshing Republic Day post. Loved your description of the Raj Bhavan and your reflections on the changes on Republic Day. :-d

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear kottravai
    Don't thank me for 'dropping by'. It is indeed my pleasure 'dropping by'!
    You are speculating on the Hon'ble Governor trying to spice up his life with serial lights. You may recall that he voluntarily stepped down from the post of CM of AP. Probably pin counting and staring at letterheads are his forte. But I doubt if he has really succeeded in spicing up his life with all the serial lights. You would get a similar doubt if you had seen him at the Parade in the Marina. His ample face had gloom written all over it. Not even a smile to oblige the photographers.

I have seen this happening in the past too to cheer up the gubernatorial chiefs. We somehow seem to think that the best way to lift a sagging spirit is to serialise all the lights. I am trying to fathom the connection between sagging spirits and serial lights. Will write more if I get a clue!
    Sri