1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Daily 'Surprice' at what Price!!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Jithiks, Aug 9, 2008.

1. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithi,

Even i felt we should have taken 2 more bags, but then looking at the price i was not sure whether the qlty would be good. Just coz of my husband i got it.
    sometimes we tend to decide lot more on Brand value and end up paying more.

For Kalandha Sadam, it gives very nice udhir sadam at the same time it gets cooked very well, i was taught this by my dad and he says many Andhra people prefer this way. Since they hate sticky rice and it doesn't go well with their Podis as well. What i do is just Measure the amount of rice and water (sometimes it depends on the qlty of rice.... but not defn more than 2 1/2 cup of water) and keep it on high till the pressure comes and then i keep it in sim for another 10 - 12 mins . Since there is no whistle u can open the cooker lid at any time and check whether the rice is cooked and u can easily make it out. And this method is Absolutely safe so Need to worry too..... i guess u try it out once and u will be happy with results.

Black rice seems to be very good option , may be we need to give it a try, i did try brown rice but somehow it was so chewy , i almost took nearly 1/2 hr o eat Sambhar rice alone.... Big Laugh.And finally was very tired of chewing and gave up lunch in the middle.Rant

Cheers
    vaidehi

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Krithika..For ven-pongal I use pressure cooker..In In-laws house they do it in pan..I like the taste made from pressure cooker.

For lemon rice,tamarind rice- pot only..

If members are more..this pot wont be enough..at that time i use electric rice cooker..i have not used pressure cooker..

3. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Krithi,

I use very less quantity of rice per day. So, I didn't go for any alternatives. I use sona masoori for daily consumption and idli rice for grinding. I couldn't have a stable choice for biryani as no brand was constantly available.

Recently, I just bought an lb of Mahatma brand long grain and tried it for chakkarai and ven pongals. It was awesome; the texture, consistency and everything about it. As soon as I opened the cooker I was like, 'what? why does it smell like this?'. So, just tried mixing a little bit with the seasoning, for ven pongal which I tried first. It was delicious.

Now, I made it as a default menu whenever there is a dinner, buying a 20lb bag. Yet to try for other stuffs, though. I read in a thread that it can be used for idli and dosa, too..

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Krithika,
    Surpised of my entry....:wink:
    Lots of information going here between, usha, you, supriya and vaidehi...

Usha, is wild rice different from the black rice you had pictured?

supriya,
    Nice :idea to bring the paanai and the lid ...and also thanks for the cooking instruction through the net...

vaidehi,

Yet to try Udipi rice...and also thanks for you and for your father for giving us the idea to cook rice without the weight...going to try ...

Coming to the point...
    I use long grain rice...very soft for my mil...this i make it in the rice cooker.
    Long grain rice for my dh...he likes it normal...so I make this in pressure cooker.
    For children...basmati rice...pressure cooker..
    for me... I don't include me while preparing rice...:crazy..anything is ok whether it is the basmati or the long grain..

sriniketan

sriniketan

5. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi jithiks,
    nice topic!!!
    yes rice prices are definitely soaring now!!!!!!!
    i use broken basmati or long grain rice for daily use
    basmati rice for pulao's etc.
    regards
    pavi

6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Nice thread. I wonder how Sundarusha eats black rice!!
    I use idli rice for dosas and idlis
    Brown rice for my husband (which contains more fibre) in electric cooker.
    Ponni boiled rice for myself and my daughter cooked in pressure cooker.
    When we were in NJ we tried ponni raw rice, but it was not filling and felt
    the hunger very soon. So we switched to boiled rice.

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidya lakshmi

I don't regularly eat black rice! shakehead shakehead shakehead

I saw some people buying in our food co-op, and thought why not try and see due to the nutrient content. It was alright to taste, if you are comfortable with the color!

I thought many people may not have seen this rice like me, so posted!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  8. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Nice topic as usual Krithika..! True, the pice of rice is sky rocketing

SundarUsha - great to know that you like black rice with sambar. I see this rice whenever I go to whole foods, but never dared buy it. After your post, inspired to try it out. Wild rice has also been in my list of things to try.

Supriya - nice to know that you cook rice in paanai. It was most common in my grandmother's younger days, and cooking rice was no child's play then. Kudos to you..

Our pantry is filled with a variety of rice

Ponni raw - for regular cooking. This time, we have replaced it with the long grain rice from Costco mainly due to the price factor. We used to use this and Jasmine rice before we started getting ponni in Indian store regularly.
    Basmati - for pulao, biryani, etc.,
    Idli Rice - for idli, dosai
    Brown rice - this I have for lunch as it has more fibre and is healthier than the white rice.

-Gayathri.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  9. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Krithika

My list goes the same as yours for DH and Vishal. I rely on rotis a lot for just one simple reason, to be fit...Also during travel times it helps me atleast for a day or 2 being a Vegeterian..

Love
    Vidya

10. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

Ponni Rice For Daily Usage
    Daawat/kohinoor Basmati For Pulaos ,etc
    I Have Also Tried Brown Rice(a Blend Of Wild Rice Grain And Brown Rice Grains) For My Kid,who Is A Fussy Eater,as It Is Rich In Fibre And Selenium And Also Said To Be Less Constipated,but Its A Bit Of Proceudre To Cook,we Need To Soak And A Slow-cooker Is Needed As It Takes Quite A Long Time To Cook.
    Though Ponni Rice Price Has Increased,i Havent Tried Any New Variety But Some Of My Friends Tried Thai Fragrant Rice.

Cheers,
    Spandhana