1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daily menu plan for 1 to 2 years old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Sanmithra, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Santu,
    And also please let me know the propotion of par-boiled rice, bengal gram and sago for the porridage.

2. magicworld

magicworld Bronze IL'ite

hi Sanmitra,
    how do you make multigrain kanji? can you please explain.

3. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

santu, those are some useful tips thank you. I will be trying all these.

Hi all,
    My son is 15 months old and his plan is as follows

7.30am - milk with junior horlicks
    10am - oatmeal with sugar
    1pm- rice with veggies and toor dal and little jaggery,tamarind,salt
    4.30pm - Oreo cookies with gerber cereal and milk and sugar
    7pm - milkshake or goldfish / gerber snacks
    9pm - rice with veggies

During sleep at 1am -milk with junior horlicks and sugar

I think I'm using too much sugar, even with idli and dosa which is very rare coz he eats only a quarter of it, he has it with sugar, we don't get honey here.. Ny other substitutes for sugar? Also I realize I don't give him as much variety as u all r givin ur kids, I shud modify this but is quarter idli/ dose enuf for breakfast, e doesn't eat more than that.. How abt ur kids?

4. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Do you live in US? You get honey in most of the stores like walgreens or walmart or any super stores. Check with the grocery stores in your city.

5. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Oh ok. Yes we r in US. I tried only in the Indian stores. Any particular brand? Also where o we get dates?

Thank yu

6. anurachana

anurachana New IL'ite

hello everyone
    so nice to see such an informative thread. well i give my 3yr and 1 yr old these as meals:
    7:30a.m. milk
    9:00a.m. wholemeal bread and butter/cheese
    12:15p.m. fruit(generally pear because of throat problem
    1:15p.m. lunch(rice,daal,ghee and boiled vegetables mixed)
    5p.m. oats in milk/biscuits and milk/wheat halwa/maggi
    8p.m. dinner(paratha with butter)
    10p.m. milk

my son who is 3yr dont want to eat vegetables at all so in lunch i can mix in rice but in night how to give.he is a very picky eater and so he dont want to try new foods.another problem is i am trying to remove his bottles so giving milk in cup so he has reduced drinking milk to a very low quantity(just max.300ml).dont know how to make him eat more healthy foods and milk from a cup .

7. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Magicworld,

Here is the method to prepare Multigrain Kanji

Samba Wheat - 1/4 kg
    Jowar/Kambu - 1/4 kg
    Ragi - 1/4 kg
    Fried gram - 100 g
    Roasted and skin removed ground nuts - 100g
    Green gram - 50 G
    dry roasted badam - 25g
    Dry roasted cashew - 25g
    elachi - 10 to 15 nos
    Optional - You can also add little amount of corn/barley/red rice

Clean and grind them all in mill and make fine powder out of it and store it in air tight container.

To prepare Kanji take required quantity of this powder. I use 3 tbsp powder and add 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of milk and mix it well before keeping it in stove. After mixing keep it in stove and cook until it boils for 2 to 3 minutes. You can adjust the quantity of water and milk as per your requirement. I mean you can add 1 cup water and 1 cup milk.

8. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anurachana,
    Don't worry my elder one who is 4 yrs now is also picky eater. All that he doesn't eat I used to introduce it indirectly in his food.

Sprouts - I make a fine paste of sprouts by running it in mixy and add it in the dosa batter and make dosa out of it. I used to beat carrot/beetroot and mix it in Dosa batter and give that to him. He likes it as it is colorful and there is not huge different in taste. He like wheat dosa rather than rice dosa. So it is very easy to mix all these veg juices in wheat flour and make wheat dosa. You can also prepare your chappati dough out of these vegetable juices and make chappathi. I grate amla and in pan add oil and saute it mustard, cumin seeds and add grated amla and saute for 3 minutes and mix this in wheat flour and make wheat dosa out of it. The sour taste of amla is not felt very much in making such dosa's. I sometimes add grated carrot also to it. I prepare chutney out of vegetables which is also healthy side dish for breakfast.

Don't worry about the milk intake. 300ml should be fine for 3 yrs. He should slowly improve on his cup habit. YOu can give him curd which will also meet his calcium requirement.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Klniha,
    You can subtitute brown sugar/palm sugar, jaggery instead of sugar. Try giving him less spicy chutney and try giving him new dishes.

10. magicworld

magicworld Bronze IL'ite

Thank you sanmitra for the recipe.
    my DS has gas pain all the time.. I add garlic and hing to the dal even then he gets the pain what can i do?