1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daily kids menu updates

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by karanu, May 14, 2012.

1. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Haha... She is not particular about taste but she is fussy about textures and doesn't chew too well. I wrote about that elsewhere. I usually soak the quinoa overnight and overcook it to a mush :expressionless: so she swallows it and prefers it to white rice which isn't as smooth.

2. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Breakfast: Egg dosa, peach
    Lunch/dinner: from restaurant - biryani

3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

What's your recipe for the pesto bean soup ? It looks healthy .

Kaput likes this.
  4. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Bf: cereal, plums
    Lunch: mung dal, carrot, quinoa
    IMG_1489.JPG

Sunshine04 and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Inspired from this recipe here: White Bean-Pesto Soup
    But used rajma, black eyed peas instead of white beans and for the pesto, I used spinach and almonds.

6. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

bf: idli
    lunch: palak paneer, quinoa

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Question for you.. I am not expert here so do not mind my curiosity. You have quinoa protein packed with moong dall, also good protein. Do not you feel your kid gassy after that?

8. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

You are speaking to another non-expert. My daughter did have some gas earlier, but not much these days. I gradually started the quinoa, as I didn't want her to eat white rice everyday. It takes some time for body to adjust to more fiber from my personal experience and she seems to be used to it now. I didn't think about protein overload until know, I will keep that in mind.

I am going by some dietary guideline I read... they have a serving size recommendation of 1/2 cup (cooked) grain and 1/4 cup beans per meal. The quinoa you see in the pics is 1/8 cup uncooked (which should cook to 1/2 cup)
    I have some saponin concerns with quinoa but I am hoping the long soaking period and 3 rinses before cooking takes care of that.

I am actually looking for another grain I can introduce, so it isn't always quinoa or white rice. But I am not finding anything that can be cooked to mush like quinoa. I have a pack of amaranth but the recipes I see are more for soups which DD isn't a big fan of. To be frank, quinoa is a lazy option for me, since it keeps well until dinner in the fridge unlike white rice.

sanjuruby3 likes this.
  9. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Bf: Egg dosa
    Lunch: Idli, sambar
    IMG_1535.JPG

kaniths, Sunshine04 and Gauri03 like this.
  10. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My quinoa comes out dry and takes lot of night cooking. I think that cd be bcos I never tried overnight soaking. Now I stopped cooking these non conventional grains separately, just add to my rice or flour. Also my H does not eat this goodness much and myself not fan of these textures. May be little as a side but then becomes extra burden for me cooking.

A cute story from my japanese former collegue...You know they eat rice every night so she always and always make mixed grains rice ( like us) to get more health and fiber to kid and family. One day, on her near teen daughters bday, she was asked by mom what she wants for her bday.
    She replied "Mom I want to eat plain rice."
    He he..

Kaput likes this.