1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dad's Shradh

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dad’s Shraddh

Yesterday was Dad’s Shradh, mom called up to say, feed the needy. Bhabhi said, can we give something to the staff, I said give them the works, whatever they want.

We asked the staff, and they wanted a Kachori, and a Samosa, which they went and got , and we topped it with two big bottles of Pepsi.

And how can be left out, I too had the same, with Harsha glaring at me. Would not Dad be happy that his son ate ? Am I any less than a pandit ?

this is my plate, eating for my Dad

[​IMG]

Around 10 years back or so, Mom had called me to do Dad’s shradd here, feed the poor.I and an office boy went in my Car, got some 100 packets of Poori and potato vegetable, packed from a shopkeeper, and we went distributing it to a few hutments.Each packet cost me 10 bucks

We parked the car, and called over the elders and the kids , and they refused to take the packets.We explained to them, that this is for my Dad’s shradh, but they just refused. We went to a second hutment, they too refused.

Then a wise old man came along. He said, Sir, we are tired of eating all this poori and Sunji, look at the car parked in front of u, they are distributing apples, and fruits, we can eat them after a few days ! We are tired of eating this junk.

Why don’t u give us 5 bucks Cash instead, said the guy, smoking a beedi. I was so disgusted, I threw all the packets on the road, and came back.

Next year , someone advised me, go to the Leper’s Ashram, or a Bal Niketan, where u have orphan girls, I went to both, and they said, we are heavily booked ! And I could see, rich Seths had brought their own cooking team, frying and given Chole Bature, fruits and other goodies, to the inmates, and even I was invited to have, which I did.No shame there for me, for it smelt damn good.

Can u imagine a scenario, dear friends, where u go out to feed the hungry and the poor, and u don’t find anyone willing to do u a favour ? Well I stopped this for the fture, till yesterday, when we decided to instead give the staff of our office, who were so grateful for the little offering.

For the life of me, I cant understand, how can what u feed others, or the pandit, can go to your ancestors ? Most of mine wre non veg and drinkers, and do u think they would like paneer and veggies to reach them, via the pandits and the hutment fellows ?

And what about me, when my Shrads will be held ? Will the pandit be able to eat fish, drink a peg, smoke a ciggie, and tell a nonveg joke, and burp, and fart, for how can the soul , here it is me, like to eat the pandit’s choice ?

Here in Jaipur it is a common sight to see pandits, just take a small bite, and tell u to pack the food in steel tiffins, the 4 tier ones, and u see the pandit lugging dozens of them on his scooter. They sell these to the eateries near the Railway station, who in turn sell it cheap the rickshaw pullers, who poor guys have a good feast these 15 days of Shradh. And the steel tiffin is sold separately.

For my Shradh, I have told everyone, don’t hold it, I will be happy where ever I will be, I don’t believe in all these rituals, as it is I don’t like veg, and to be forced to have it when I am no more, will be moer of a torture for me and my soul, and I don’t think a soul is every hungry, for I never see them raiding annyone’s fridge, I don’t think u guys and gals have seen it either !!!

Tell me who is hungry in this country ? Or in the cities, I don’t know about the villages, but in the cities everyone is full.

I would rather feed Cows, who poor things lap up anything u feed them, without cribbing, or other animals instead like stray dogs, elephants who have a huge diet, than feed these choosy poor people, who are spoilt for choice.

No offence mean to anyone’s sentiments, I speak of my shradh, and not of anyone else’s.
    And even if u have taken offence, go take a walk, for all I care.

I have lived a very happy life, I have been loved and respected much more than I deserve, I am well contented. And after I am a soul, if ever, I will remain happy.Iw ont come to trouble u guys, I will be like Gone with the Wind.HAHA

KAMAL MAHTANI

While Most Indians are busy to find out where Ram was Born,
    The Ausralians are busy to find out WHY Laxman was born !!!

Minister – To those who got injured in the Bomb Blast will get 3 lakhs
    And those that died , will get 5 lakhs

Sindhi - Sir my father first got injured, and then Died
    So I must get 8 lakhs !!!

Ramchander keh Gaye Siya se,
    Kaisa kalyug Ayega,
    Kahan hua tha mera Janam,
    Ab High court Batega !!!

Sindhi man dies and goes to Heaven.
    The lord , pleased with his good work down,
    Gives him two big palaces.

He sells one, rents the other,
    And goes to Hell to stay with his relatives !!!

Gandhiji’s last words were – Hey Ram
    Ponting’s last words were – Hey Laxman !!!

============================================================

2. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Hmm Kamalji what you have said is true.In my office we used to give treat for Birthday & anniversary but v thought to collect & send the money to orphange or old age homes.Believe me when I said v have Rs 5000 none of the orphanges were ready they told to bear painting expenses or someother expenses not for food.I left the very famous orphanges & choosed lesser ones.Now even worse our buget of Rs 5k dint match them.In the end we thought we are itself more or less miserable so lets have it with 2 samosa,puff,1 sweet or cake as usual...

Yes its good to know you give to your employees.Its better to give people whom we know.
    The kachories are tempting to see...thank god you dint post having it.You dont want a stomach ache neither...
    [/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  3. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Pranaam Kamalji. Thank God, in Chennai there are some good places where they accept food, clothes (even used one's in good condition) and donations, however small the amount may be... I send money from here every year and my friends go and do the poor feeding for me. There are Ashrams where they feed people one decent meal a day.Whenever I go to India I give food, two bananas and Rs.5 or 10 to these people because they won't be fed at the ashram in the nights. I think South India is still poorer than North...

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

dear kamalji

this custom of shraddah is followed in "Singapore" also. During the month of "August" they call it "Ghost Month", all the chinese people, will keep Furits, cakes, oranges, outside their house, with Agarbattis, also toy fridge, TV,sofa, etc...... saying it is for the deceased.

I agree with you, instead of giving to pandit, give food to people, who are hungry and eat with joy.

have a gr8 day.

Sindhi jokes are really fantastic. I am now getting glimpses into sindhi mentalities.

5. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear kamalji,

Not all orphanages are like that...I normally do not pick the famous ones, as they will already be receiving huge amounts...I go to places which are mostly unknown or less popular and they will be all the more happy to receive anything...

Your sindhi jokes were too good :)

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

5000 is less for an orphanage eh !Sad.In fact they should accept whatever that comes in.How can u be choosy when u receive, that means that u are well off, i mean the orphanage.

Yes good u all celebrated in office, and spent on yrself.Damn good.
    And having the guts to ask u to bear other expenses like painting the walls eh !

Yes good i did not post me eating, or aap ki nazar lag jati, aur stomache ho jata.:biglaugh

thanks.kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Monfia,

that is very good what u are doing, giving what u can, and feeding and giving money when u come down.

Well i dont know about south and north, could be true.

Regards

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radhika,

Toy fridge eh , umean souls are so dumb they will like toys now.HAHA

Yes but to find the right hungry people who would be happy with yr food is diifulct to find.

Regards

kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ice,

that is good, go to those who aer not patronized.Thanks.kamal