1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dad is having an affair, help!!!

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Confusedsoul, Jun 10, 2010.

1. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

Welcome, my friend! I am glad you are not DA. :)

I agree. Knowing the Indian families, you and I both know she will come to know and he will eventually pay!:) It may not all happen in one fell swoop or in an open way.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, if the knowledge of her husband's cheating might prove life threatening, then and only then is keeping her in the dark morally and ethically justified.

Based on Sanjay's last post he had already made certain decisions and planned to stick to them, I am just articulating how I feel about the broader ethical dilemma that presents itself here. I too am a daughter and if my dad were to do this to my mom, then repent and straighten his act, would I keep this from her? I don't think I would ever be able to look my mom in the eyes knowing that I had lied to her even if it is lying by omission. The guilt wouldn't have let me sleep at night. On the flip side, I am also a mother to a boy and if my husband did something like this to me and my son knew about it and kept it from me, I don't think I would forgive him for it if I ever found out. So whichever way I look at this the ethics of not letting the mother know, whether directly or by making the dad confess, trouble me. Others with different experiences in life will obviously see things from a third, fourth or fifth perspective that I lack.

I'm afraid if we start with India and women in India we might be discussing this till kingdom comes!

The only two points I was trying to make; Only you have conveyed it far better than I managed to. :)

3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

:) Yes, I too was wondering about Vidya's accomplice statement

4. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I wonder how women in India who are allegedly weak and meek and cannot handle any news that may come shocking, say like a extramarital affair, handle situations before they have grown up sons and daughters to act as proxies?

And once again, I'd like to chime in and say it is entirely inappropriate and totally out of line for the kids to handle affairs of marriage between mum and dad, that too keeping the mum in the dark about the whole thing. As a wife, she has the right to know and she is the rightful person to confront the husband and resolve the situation. Kids are not vigilante protectors of their parents' marriage. The best they can do in a situation like this is be supportive and stand by the parents while they resolve this matter between them.

But the idea that a grown up kid can act as a proxy for their parent and confront the other parent in matters pertaining to their marriage while keeping the victim in the dark throughout this process, is plain ludicrous and entirely inappropriate.

Sarma, saying India is sexist and that is how things are in reality in India and accepting the status quo is probably worse than armchair liberalism. Afterall, doesn't everyone want change in the Indian system or atleast I have seen that phrase thrown liberally around here. Unless it is sprinkled around purely for lip service, change has to start somewhere. Maybe a bunch of armchair liberals trying to effect change is better than saying 'That is how things are in India so nothing can be done'. Armchair liberalism, as you put it, is a start. A bunch of armchair liberals criticizing the status quo is an indication of change in attitudes in the society and it is a good start and may pave the way for actually making that change.

Vidya21 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

Malavika,

I called India sexist but I do not support status quo. I support armchair liberals but I prefer them not to 'call for action' at the cost and potential harm to others and become demagogues themselves.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  6. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Any change you bring about in a society, there are always people who are going to claim it is harming them or hurting their sentiments. There will always be people with their arms up in the air no matter what change you bring about and however good it is. I don't think people who criticize the existing system or proposing liberal ideas are trying to become demagogues necessarily. Having said that, here is a hypothetical question for you. Do you prefer the demagogues who are favouring the current system?

I think people criticizing the existing system and seeking changes is an indication that there is a considerable number of people who have changed attitudes and outlooks and if those ideas are progressive, then it is good for the society. That is how societies change and progress gradually.

7. Confusedsoul

Confusedsoul New IL'ite

I'm talking about my mom and sis as I know them and I think I know them very well. It's not based on any assumption. And when did I say my sister is hysterical? That's a huge stretch.

Aren't you talking on assumptions now?

No, I don't intend to get my dad away without any repercussions. I'm concerned about my whole family.

She certainly deserves it. But tell me this. If my mom comes to know about this, do you think the love my dad has for my mom suddenly turns into genuine and honest? I would rather prefer my mom to be at peace rather than going to bed crying every night. May be it's just me.

8. Confusedsoul

Confusedsoul New IL'ite

After giving it a second thought, I already had dropped the idea. It's not going to help much anyway. Thanks for bringing this up.

9. Confusedsoul

Confusedsoul New IL'ite

You are talking about another woman's rights. I'm concerned about my mom's feelings. I don't think I can explain my stand better than this. I understand your points, but my priorities are different.

10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Putting it as simply as I can - You are making a choice for her that is hers to make. She needs to know and ideally from your father's own mouth. It should be her decision to forgive him and take him back if she wants to.