1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Curd Rice

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Dec 19, 2018.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Let me know the after effects afterreading the post o fmine

Iyers are mostly known for their love for curd. Other South Indian delicacies such as dosas, idli, etc. are also relished by Iyers. Coffee amongst beverages , especially filter coffee and curd amongst food items form an indispensable part of the Iyer food menu.

Only South Indians end their food with thayir sadam. Earlier school children used to take thayir sadam for lunch in school with some pickle. or idli with milagapodi on it. Now a days parents give so many varieties of food to children in the tiffin boxes and just as there are varieties of food in the lunch box ,the lunch box also has so many varieties. In our days we were given food in a thooku. Those days there were no lunch boxes as now.

Now coming to thayir chadam, my friends used to say South Indians are very intelligent because they eat curd rice. Just mixing the curd with rice does not have much taste compared to the curd rice we make with ginger, kadipatha and give a thadka of mustard seeds in Oil. And when we have it with any pickle especially if it s avakkai or lemon pickle it tastes so yummy. Also curd rice with puli inji, avial, olan tastes very yummy. Writing of that only my mouth is watering because I am a foody and enjoy food with the right combinations. They say na brahmana bhojana priya.

But of late youngsters are so busy in their working life that they have no time to enjoy their food in time . Earlier on holidays the whole family used to be there and enjoy having lunch together. I think those days are rare now a days

kaniths, Amica, jskls and 10 others like this.

2. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

That was a lovely post dear @iyerviji aunty....
    My husband is a big fan of curd rice....
    I like to drink neer mor or chaaa.
    The way I prepare curd rice is by adding salt and Tadka of mustard, Chana dhal, urad dhal, cumin seeds, hing, curry leaf, green chilly.
    To the rice I add curd grated ginger and coriander leaf, mix well and serve.
    I have seen some friends adding kaju, raisins, onion and grated carrot and pomegranate to curd rice, to make it healthier and tastier.

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I had spent a few sleepovers in such a family who made curd-rice with tadka. The grandmother of that family will pick off the spicy bits (green chilis, ginger) and serve the curd-rice on to the small outstretched palms of the children. They were a collective family, and had six children in the elementary school age. I was the seventh, but I only showed up on occasional nights.
    We all sat around her, while she would put the rice on our hand, and wait for us to bend the thumb to make a little hole in the middle, and then pour half a spoon of spicy kuzhambu in it. While we ate, she would ask us to chew it once for every tooth we had. Most of us had gaps in our teeth, and therefore we could chew less.

And she told us stories. Sometimes, these were serials, like Panchatantra, and I, being a temporary diner in the crowd, was often at a loss as to what had happened before.

The OP's serving of the curd-rice post with the story is very reminiscent of the practice of such families. No wonder the children of those families turned out to be clever. After all, Vishnu Sharma, the author of Panchatantra, promised that.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    iyerviji, Amica, joylokhi and 3 others like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I like and miss this combo so much, I started making raita like that. : )

iyerviji, shravs3 and nandinimithun like this.
  5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@iyerviji Lovely snippet .Curd rice with previous day leftover karakulampu is my favourite lunch in my school days.Now i take curd rice with fried sundakka and i don't know the correct word in English (Pea egg plant).Add milk to the rice and add a pinch of salt with a teaspoon of curd which gives a delicious curd rice. A harmless food when we are on travel.

6. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Sweet post dear Viji aunty :blush:
    No doubt, curd rice is my favourite, with or without tadka doesn’t matter. Our meals are incomplete without curd rice. Curd rice with mango pickles yummmm :yum:

iyerviji and shravs3 like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Tats my fav too :hearteyes:

iyerviji, Amica and nandinimithun like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Vijima this is my favourite ! I can survive with this alone.. My mouth already started watering :blush:

iyerviji likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vijiakka,

What can be equal to curd rice with a pickle? You brought some wonderful memories of my younger ages when I used to regularly visit my mother's parents place in a village. All grandchildren used to sit around grandma and she would prepare Sambhar rice first with Narthanga first and give around for each grandchild. Later, she would also bring curd rice and Vathal Kulambu and give it again. Our appetites used to be very high just because of her love.

Even when I was in the peak of my career traveling international, when I came back home, I always asked for rice and curd. I think it is more to do with my upbringing. I remember the days I used to take curd rice with pickle in a ever-silver lunch box.

Viswa

iyerviji likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji aunty,

Many of my friends used to call me "curd rice" - my lunch box always had some and if I didn't take, I would take a spoonful from someone else who had and finished my meal. My DD is fond of curd rice and as a baby/toddler she had figured out mosranna (curd rice in Kannada) as curd and asks even now for "mosranna rice" :) or she will say I just want plain mosranna with pickle (not able to say uppinkayi, she had come up with enkapelele and uses it even now) and when she gets curd rice, she will try to convince the aunties in India how she does not want rice with it. Now of course everyone knows what she wants :) and oh aunty, for me curd rice is just that, curd + rice, no additions!! I love it!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    iyerviji likes this.