1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Coping With Mil, Husband And A New Born

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ILUser07, Apr 13, 2016.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Not sure which forum this post will fall under.
    I am just venting out all the burden I am carrying.

I have a beautiful 6 month baby boy and MIL is the caretaker. She came to US for assisting us when I am pregnant.

I started working 3 months back. Pumping milk at work and supplementing with formula. I prepared cereal with the pumped milk in the morning at 8 before I left to work. at 9.30 she didnt even start feeding. Its already 1.5 hrs after the milk is out of refrigerator and thawed. Finally she discarded and made cereal with formula on my request as the milk gets spoiled. What the hell.
    The reason for delay. My husband decided to WFH today after he woke up at 8.30. She is busy making him tea and breakfast. How can she weigh a 32yrs old man needs to a 6 month baby?
    I am literally crying silently to hide from the colleagues while I am typing this.

Composed the following email to my husband. but hesitating to send as he has anger issues and don't want a fight when I get back home:
    For the very first time in my life, I am crying for wasting and discarding something.
    Because, it’s my blood and my pain. 6oz milk.
    It may not make any difference to anyone because it is free.
    I tried so much to not to send this mail and keep my mouth shut. But just couldn’t.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    vrikshakadali and Rihana like this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Instead of sending mail to ur H, can u talk to ur MIL , the same, it is lot of pain when u pump milk, but for baby sake u r doing it, it spoils when it is out of refrigerator, so tell feed baby first. If MIL is normal person she will understand it. If she is doing on purpose then u can't hep it but u feed baby and go as much as possible with ur schedule.

sindmani likes this.
  3. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I have told her many times about this. I can't comment that she is doing on purpose. But lately, she is not liking to take any suggestions from me. We never stayed together for more than a week and she is with us for more than 6 months now. I can clearly see that our terms are getting worse day by day. If I am in her shoes, may be I will also not like to hear from a DIL who is half her age. But she is starting argument on everything and anything. God knows where this will end.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

The problem is your husband OP who should be helping you out with the baby instead of expecting to be treated like a child.

Unless there is some history with mil ,I would not blame her.Taking care of a child is not easy.Some times things get overlooked.She forgot or did not have the time as she was taking care of her 'child'.She took the safe way out by making fresh .You husband should be the one feeling guilty.

Your mil has come all the way to help you people out with the baby.
    Unless there is some history or if this is repeated ,I think you should not raise it with mil.Request her to feed the baby first,everything else can wait.As long as the baby is safe and healthy,little things can be overlooked.

SGBV, sindmani, tcbhuvana and 2 others like this.
  5. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Thanks yellowmango. I understand. But being a first time mom and TTC for a long time and taking the pain of IVF, I am more protective towards my baby which is causing all these ego clashes.
    I totally agree. If my husband is understanding, all these days would have been very different.
    Despite telling her many times that the milk will be spoiled she overlooks it. On coming to know that he is not fed his breakfast, I asked them to discard and make fresh.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP....you are both getting on each others nerves.It is very natural to feel this way when two people are thrown together .Try to see things from her point of view because this arrangement is for the benefit of you and your child.
    Your mil has left her home,her life at her home ,her independence as a home maker to help you people. She is also stuck in this as it is her grand child that needs taking care of.She is probably itching to be back at home,her life too.

Just hang in there. Keep things together.Soon your baby will be older,mil will probably be back to her home,her little kingdom.Your child would have got the best out of this arrangement .You would have got back to work without missing out too much on the job front.Your mil would have the satisfaction of being there for her grandchild when he needed care the most.Just hang in there .

sindmani, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, I'll be honest and say my first reaction was to smile knowingly at the email text and your overall description. That rage, that fury, that tears, that well-meaning probably but sometimes prioritization-challenged MIL, their favor of looking after your child, the husband who won't get it...... it is ghar ghar ki kahani (story of every house).

These things happen, and what ym has suggested is the best way to deal with it. If you can find the patience and wisdom to do that. Contradictions in care of baby are hard on the mother who is away at work, and pumped milk going waste in this way, is very very upsetting. Wish you the patience to get through the day, may the evening have less/no drama, and may the week fly and the weekend arrive faster.

SGBV, sindmani and yellowmango like this.
  8. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

OP,
    Its so painful to see mother's milk getting wasted.Also at the same time,since you are dependent on MIL for taking care of your kid,you cannot give too many instructions to her.During the day when you are away from work,let your MIL prepare bf with formula and feed formula in between.Once you come back from work,make sure you feed your milk either directly or pumped one.That way you can make sure your kid is not deprived of your milk.

Also set a schedule for your baby like bf at 9,lunch at 12 and dinner at 7.Make sure MIL follows the schedule.

sindmani, manguji and yellowmango like this.
  9. aishu0001

aishu0001 New IL'ite

Dear OP,

My MIL was the same, infact is still the same, her son is her priority than the baby. My DD is 2 and even now she will make breakfast for my DH than attending to the crying baby. I had tell my DH how milk is wasted in front of MIL. Since they won't want their sons to be blamed; they will try to make an effort. Also I used to sweet talk saying I don't have to worry by DD as she is experienced and taking care of her which puts her at guilt and I used do all the cooking stating she is here to spend time with her grandkid and not help me in the kitchen. It kinda worked and she was forced to do what I wanted.

10. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Thank you all. I am feeling better and thank god I didn't send that damn email in frustrated mind. It would have surely triggered a war.
    I need to control myself from giving instructions to her. But she keeps forgetting if I don't followup.
    Yesterday I wrote the schedule and didn't bother to call and check.
    All she did is feed him cereal 2 times and forgot completely about giving him milk in between and changing diaper. She doesn't bother to look at the schedule or anything I write.