1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Confused with the different replies from doctors. please help me. Having thyroid.

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by nazee033, Jan 23, 2012.

1. nazee033

nazee033 New IL'ite

i have hypo thyroid two months back.am used lavothyroxine 50 mg ,given to gyic doc standard tab better .bt nw i have hyperthyroid.am went to endocrine doc .doc says dont use any kind of medicine.what to do. i want to become a pregnent am using metformin for pcod dose 500 mg .gynic doc says if ur nt pregnent in 3 minths u vll come back untill these medicine continue.any suggetion.and become pregnent lady thyroid how many months doing the checkup .pls help me gynic doc appointment feb last week.am stopping levothyroxine for endocrine docsuggestio.n replyyyyyy pls

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi nazee, normally any endocrynologist will work together with the gynaec while adivising medicines. So you talk to your endocrynologist. If both the doctors work from same hospital or clinic it will be better as co-oridnation will be there between them. Don't get panic. Everything will go well. don't stop asking questions to your doctor till you get clear with the type of treatment they are going to give you. Lots of baby dust to you. Best wishes.

3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nazee, Don't worry. It's not that difficult. What is your TSH level? Most of the doctors say not to have tablets for Hypothyroid, and just advice them to watch on their diet and exercise more. But if you are trying to conceive, you must take thyroxine. Still that depends on your TSH level. As Mira said, consult Endocrynologist, or another Gynae, they will advice to take blood test and prescribe accordingly.

My TSH level was 5.1 and my doctor adviced it is must I have to be on thyroxine. Now it is dropped to 2.17. I am seeing great differences after taking the tablets. Earlier, I used to feel cold all the time, and I would be tired/exhausted often. Now I am much more active. I am taking 75mcg. My gynae adviced me to maintain the TSH level from 1-2. But women have conceived with more TSH level too. So you needn't worry much.

Good Luck.

ILT

4. priyaj1986

priyaj1986 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I am also suffering from both thyroid and PCOD. I was diagnosed 6 months back and I am taking eltroxin 10 mg and metformin 850 mg. My TSH level is now normal, but still my periods is irregular. Hence I am advised to take Krimson 35 to regularise my periods. Since I need to conceive soon, is it ok to ask my doctor to give me some hormone tablets like clomid which induces ovulation.. Need suggestions pls..

Regards,
    Priya

5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

priyaj1986, A good doctor knows what should be prescribed to you. Harmones are critical things which should be taken only under prescription. So go as per what doctor prescribes you. If you are not satisfied with the doctor to whom you are showing now, you may better take second opinion from another experienced one. But never suggest to doctor or take anything on your own. Don't worry. Lots of baby dust to you. Best wishes.

6. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Hypothyroidism [underactive thyroid gland] is the most common thyroid disorder in pregnant women. Treating any form of thyroid during pregnancy requires careful monitoring by both the gynae and the endocrinologist. There are usually no complications if u r levels r monitored closely. The drugs given r quite safe. Pregnant women suffering fm hyperthyroidism [overactive thyroid gland], will be given anti-thyroid drugs n occasionally given supplements of thyroxin as well. After birth, the baby will usually be monitored for thyroid levels.

Any form of untreated thyroidism can lead to problems in conceiving, higher chance of miscarriage or still births.

Both kinds of thyroidism will affect the menstrual periods - the periods will be irregular, heavy or scanty depending on hypo or hyper.

So, u just need to go to a good gynae n endocrinologist. It is always better to hv both of them in the same hospital in case of any emergencies during labour or delivery. You need to take yr meds religiously n follow yr docs advice and dont be shy of clearing yr doubts with yr doc - take second opinion if u r not satisfied. If u follow the above n keep smiling during pregnancy - u will do just fine !!

love,
    kylie

7. bukhi

bukhi New IL'ite

Are medicines really necessary? Can yoga, proper diet help reduce weight & regularize the hormones?

8. sweetnilla

sweetnilla Senior IL'ite

Hypothyroidism in pregnancy or in pts trying to conceive has to be treated. According to AACE(american association of clinical endocrinologists) guidelines your dose has to be adjusted so that the TSH level is <2.5 if you are planning to be pregnant or pregnant. If you have thyroid auto-immunity your TSh has to be closely monitored during pregnancy.

Your hyperthyroidism from what I read from your post is prodably becos of the thyroid hormone replacement being little high. So it is ok to stay off med and watch.

If you have hyperthyroidism in pregnancy then it is usually treated with medications too. There are pregnancy specific thyroid hormone ranges. Discuss with endocrinologist.

When you become pregnant they will monitor your thsh and Ft4 levels. The baby depends on your thyroid till it is 18-20 wks. So if you are thinking of not taking meds and trying home remedies is not advisable. If you plan to do so talk to your doctor.

Hope this helps
    :thumbsup

9. avanisabari

avanisabari New IL'ite

hi nazee
    I fully agree with sweetnilla .And dont worry dear, I am also having thyroid problem , and under proper medication and doc advice, i am blessed with two kids. So follow doc instructions and take proper diet.