1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Conditional Marriages- A Repost

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

This should be the definition of marriage instead of the ' marriage of two families' which is all about the girl loosing as much of herself after marriage to accomodate people who should be secondary .[/QUOTE]
    Dear @yellowmango
    I am of the opinion that decades back, arranged marriages between completely two strangers was strictly decided by the family members. It’s all a combination of luck and destiny that made or marred such marriages, and survived inspite of all the odds stacked against them - one like mine!

Agatha83

Mistt likes this.
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear@Amulet,

It was the main speaker of the talk show who was shouting and not the audience. But nowadays I find that in most of the reality shows, the audience performing better than those on the stage.

When even closing a simple bank account is one of the most difficult task nowadays, closure of a relationship is not as simple as you think- particularly in India. There are scores of divorce cases pending before the family court, where it is the lawyers who make the best of the situation and go smiling with plenty of cash to their banks!

Agatha83

Amulet likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

A sound education, a good job, a career and financial security, have given the present generation of women a lot of courage, confidence with which they can lead their lives all alone. But when it comes to marriage they don’t realize that it calls for some compromises, which they fear may involve loosing their precious freedom. Major difference of opinions arise, after marriage, leading to a break up. It needs a lot of courage for leading a life as a single woman, in a conservative society which lays a lot of importance on marriage.

Agatha83

Topaz49, Mistt and sindmani like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My own father who is otherwise moderate and made sure that my brother and I were treated perfectly equally made such complaints when my parents were looking for an alliance for my brother. I had to push back and tell him that times have changed for the better. And that those girls were equally precious to their own families, not just objects on a market. This despite my dad seeing the plight of his parents who had to marry off 5 daughters on a modest income and then cater to all the “sambhandhi’s” demands for their lifetime.
    Attitudes take a long time to change.

Agatha83 likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

In my view, the following conditions are treacherous:

1) Asking a bride or a groom to have complete cut-off from their respective biological families as a condition for the marriage.

2) Forcing a specific career or lifestyle and make the spouse dependent on the financial resources of the other unwillingly.

3) Fixing a price for the marriage either in cash or in kind as a condition for marriage to happen.

4) Using the marriage as a tool for financial planning and future growth potential of one's career.

5) Using the marriage to gain immigration status or migrate to another country to promote personal growth and development.

Trust me, I have come across at least one or more marriage/s in each one of the above categories. While some are still pursued by some families while others are rare but still exist. Needless to say, many of such marriages terminated after a few years.

Topaz49, shravs3, nakshatra1 and 3 others like this.
  6. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

I guess it all depends on what the “conditions” stated by the girl or guy is. If its bullcrap (a small partial list stated by Viswa above), then the other party should call it out as so, irrespective of which gender puts forth the “condition”. If the conditions are reasonable then I am sure both sides have such things and fair enough.

Topaz49 and Agatha83 like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

All things such as society, man and woman and their families can be ideal, yet a marriage might end. People change, and what they want from life can change. Just as focus should not be on getting married because it is time to get married, focus should not be on the survival of the marriage no matter what. Ending of a marriage should not be viewed as if it is the end of the world.

Well said and comprehensive. Similarly, the man should be treated with gentleness and compassion and not used like an ATM machine while the woman lives her dream of being the caring, nurturing mother who focuses solely on children.

Just because women have suffered for centuries does not mean now it is time to get even and men start to suffer. Marriage and choosing a partner is one of life's most private things filled with preferences that might make sense to one but not to others. The family marrying a family notion has to go. And, both the man and woman should be financially independent and have lived away from parents before marriage.

While choosing a partner, it is perfectly fine to have one's preferences listed and ordered in importance. A man wants a wife with one or more of these qualities: fair-skinned wife, one who can speak fluent English, who can sing, who will take care of his parents, who will stop working after kids, who will be the sole bread-winner, shorter than him, taller than him, slim ..... it is fine. A woman wants a man with one or more of these qualities: taller than her, who will be the sole bread-winner, educated, employed in a certain industry, living in a certain country, no sisters, .... it is fine.

When choosing one's partner is not the time to be politically correct or try to bring about social change. One has to see that face across the dining table for the rest of one's life, have sex with that person, most likely make babies or adopt and bring them up, grow old, face life's challenges... the more preferences you have and the more clear you are on what are non-negotiable, good for all. Just be kind and polite when ruling out potential partners based on those preferences. Remember to be realistic about your own limitations, and also remember that with time people change. Some promises made before marriage might get broken on both sides. Don't willfully mislead before marriage and in the marriage remember that you are a team.

Topaz49, sindmani and Agatha83 like this.
  8. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Its sensitive but families are hiding pre existing serious medical conditions and marrying people off...

Having a condition after marriage is different than hiding it intentionally to 'catch good fish'.
    How can one know the guys/girls medical status?... even worse mental issues.
    One of my friends got married into a family which has serious depression issues ( suicides in the family)... now she fears her kids will develop these and has lost peace ( forced depression herself). The other one only knew after marriage that the husband had diabetes from 12 yrs of age... on insulin already by the time of marriage. People should not be judged on condition but intentionally hiding is a loss of credibility.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear @MalStrom,

My marriage also had the same kind of problems, where my MIL demanded a hefty dowry, 30 sovereigns of gold and a diamond earring, since she had married off all her five daughters with the same items she had demanded from us. There was a ferocious Mahabharata war between the two families for almost a month and finally ended when some good souls mediated and ended up the differences.
    Only during my MILs stay with me she realised my goodness and had cordial relations with me, but still her hatred for my family members persisted till the end.

Agatha83

10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

1. The present generation of women are very intelligent when it comes to dealing with their in laws. They keep such relatives at arms length and make use of them in times of crisis.
    2. I find many successful women showcasing their DH’s unflinching support for their success be it in public or private. Many men become caretakers of their children on their own, supporting their wives be it her educational pursuits or a career. As long as there is perfect understanding between the couple as to who is going to lead the family it is well and good.
    3, Nowadays most of the marriages are either intercaste or love marriages, so no question of demanding material things. But in some cases looks like the groom demands a high class motorbike, furniture, and even property.
    4. Career women are more knowledgeable about finance and make their own decisions. I don’t think any woman with self respect will use marriage as a tool to improve her financial status.
    5. With so many restrictions on providing visas to a married couple by many western countries , I don’t think it’s so easy to get immigration status just through marriage.

I am not sure whether I am right or wrong to the points you have made here, but still I have attempted to enlighten them, to the best of my knowledge, just like those 2 mark questions in the school exam paper!
    Agatha83