1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

concentration issues in 5 yr old - please help!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by srideviire, Oct 22, 2010.

1. srideviire

srideviire New IL'ite

hi

i have daughter,she is 5 year old, going to school, i am really worried about her, she is very slow in all her activites, even eating she took long time to eat. always playing with her toys
    becasue of her slow doing she couldn;t finish her work at school.
    teacher says that even i pushes her to do things, she just looking around not doing her work, but she can able to do it. she is not concentracting, i really don;t know wat to do? always watching everyone, but not doing her work. Any parents facing such problem with childrens.
    how to make her concentrate. pls help me

thanks
    Sridevi

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Let kids be kids. She is just 5 yrs old, and each kid is different.
    Perhaps give her small tasks (minute tasks) so she can slowly develop focus. But I'd say - kids needing concentration powers is overrated. They'll be fine.
    If you notice real serious issue, then ofcourse consult a professional.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  3. PriyaSukumar

PriyaSukumar New IL'ite

She is just 5 years old and hence it should not be an issue. Kids do improve their concentration over a period of time. Try and engage her in different activities. Once you try out different things you may yourself realize the things she is most interested in. Once the kids find something interesting to focus on, their overall ability to study and communicate also improves.
    My daughter had joined the Carnatic Music classes at LDS and since them I myself can see so much of a difference in her memory power and also general concentration. I don't know the exact logic but I have read about the multiple intelligence theory for kids... It talks about how different kids learn through different ways - music / kinetics etc...

so best way is to explore with your kid and engage her in her favourite hobbies.

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sridevi,

Staying on task and completing it within the given time are important skills. They help develop independent work habits in older children. Preschool/kindergarten is a transition class when school changes from an all play routine to a more academic one. That is the reason most parents hear concerns for the first time when children are around 4-5 years of age. Fundamental skills in academic areas and in functional areas (listening-for information and not as in obeying, remembering/following complex directions, attending to task for eg) are taught at this age.

One question to keep in mind-is your child the youngest in the classroom? Being the youngest, even if it is by just a couple of months is a big time frame at the age. It is always better for a child to be in the older bracket than vice versa. If she is the youngest, check with the teacher to see if the concern is because her performance is not on par with the others'. In that case, keep an eye on her attending skills and wait to see how they improve.

Aside from the fact that it is worrisome to hear, there are a few positives to this-

Some children do mature out of it or develop coping strategies on their own. But wouldn't you rather find how you can help her develop these skills so her learning/social life is smoother? Yes, these skills can be taught!

Her teacher noticed it at right away and didn't hesitate to keep you informed. She can be a good source of information for you-on how your daughter is performing and on resources available in your area to seek clarity. If you do decide there is need for professional help, the teacher can be a good team player and both of you can see what works for your daughter.

Luckily your daughter is at an age where she is more flexible and you can guide her to learn the right skills. For the teacher too, the lessons can be adapted easily at this stage.

Some questions you can ask the teacher-
    1. Is there a time of day that is better for your daughter (more productive/completes task bettr in the am vs pm, better after snack and more importantly after PE or any physical activity?

2. How about the seating arrangement? Can she see the teacher clearly? I assume the kids are seated in groups around tables..does the teacher pass by her seat often during assignments? Sometimes just that proximity cues children to get back on task. Same with gestures (too many verbal reminders make children self conscious).

3. What about the work habits of the childen seated near your daughter? Do they work well or do they distract your child? Can she be seated in a smaller group (less distraction)?

4. Going back to physical activity, does your daughter show low/high muscle tone? Sometimes children with mild SI issues need to get their body revved up or toned down to increase attention span and to complete tasks. Do her feet touch the ground (flat) when she is seated?

Questions for you-
    1. Do you see the same difficulty with completing tasks at home? These skills affect not just academic progress but also your daily living skills.

2. Does she have seasonal allergies/cold, etc often? Some of the medications do make it difficult to attend.

As I said ealier, these skills can be taught-at school and at home. It just means that you can't tell your child, "Come do your homework" and leave it at that. It means you have to plan and organize as well, and once it becomes a habit for you and your daughter things will improve.

R