1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Completely lost..please help me

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by suhana123, Mar 25, 2016.

1. suhana123

suhana123 New IL'ite

I am seeking answers to questions and asking help from saving my dying spirit. sorry for the long post
    I married for 4 yrs(Arranged marriage) and have 3 yr old DD.I stayed with in-laws for about 20(mother in-law and everyone in house abused and treated me badly) days after marriage with my dh and later moved to usa. I have multiple issues with my in-laws all because their unacceptable lies about their family.
    my dh has two younger sisters who are elder to me.Elder sister is married to my mother i law
    brother when she was 18. By the time i was married to my dh she was 30. All these years thay had issues in their marriage life and decided to take divorce but just stopped because if she has taken divorce no good family gives their daughter into such divorced sister family.
    1 )MY in-laws told us their two daughters are well settled in their own marriages and got my marriage fixed with their son.Before marriage i spoke to my dh about everything i was,about my family(had prob with my father) and asked him if he has anything that he need to share he said NO. i came to know about his sister after marriage when am in us and shocked,betrayed and totally devastated not because
    of the prob but about my dh betraying me.(I would have not married my dh if i knew about his sister)
    2.Within 6 months of my marriage.my sister in law husband married to other girl(he is a good person and patiently waited for such a long time only because his wife is his sister's daughter.my sister inlaw doesn't want him because he is not educated and not earning well).i came to know about their separation one year later when my sister inlaw husband committed suicide just before the day of divorce with my sister inlaw.
    After that those were my worst days ever in my life.right after i came to know abt this prob in my sister-in law marriage even though i was shocked i kept thinking all through my pregnancy and my baby early months about her on how to make them stay together again
    (my dh kept lying to me she is not listening,she blames everybody and so on).my dh knows his sisters husband is already married and there is no way that they can stay together but kept on lying me even after seeing me in so much pain and stress i went through all this 1 year.
    i completely felt hopeless,unwanted ignored about my dh thinking whatever may be the situation
    he should tell me(If he would have done that i may not gone through all those stress,worriness,unstability and many things during my pregnancy)
    4)when i asked him why didn't you tell, he simply said "i didn't think that really matters to u " and i didnt even understood how to react as i didn't expect him to say those lines as he saw me all the pain am in past year.I don't know how to frame my state of situation at that moment,Even had sleeping pills to sleep and gone through suicidal tendencies but survived only because of my daughter.

my in laws defends with my relatives about their daughter saying we will look after our daughter whats her problem.is that really not a problem?
    if that is not really a problem why didn't they share with us before marriage.how acceptable it is to hide such things thinking what girls side parents or the girl can do if they come to know after marriage (This is killing me even today and i think i can never forgive or overcome such attitude)
    my problems with my sis-in-law:
    Everyone says she is in india and your in us how is she your prob.
    she talk to my husband(more than me) daily on phone and chat him at least for an hour,talks about everything and bad mouth me.
    she is more manipulative and bad than my mother in law and as she is not having family of her own and she is replacing my dh in her husband role depending on him for everything.
    its like am dealing with two mother-in laws,both are possessive about their son and brother and they are not letting my dh to have his family life. From outside it looks like my dh is having family life as he is living with us physically from inside he is always with them.
    it will be more and more complicated in future and i don't know how to handle this and she is never going to remarry.If my dh is supportive to me and understand and communicate with me then i would have handled it somehow
    my dh mentality

1) I worked for 4 years before marriage and resigned my job just to join my dh in usa(I should have never done this).during my pregnancy he never took care of me.
    never helped me in anything.even 10 days before my due-date i cleaned bathroom,did vacuum,cooked,cleaned utensils everything and dh never spent time with me about my pregnancy
    he only took to me to hospital visits and paid bills.
    My dh is mom-mas boy,he doesn't care for my emotions or my feelings he only thinks of his parents and sisters,whatever they say is right to him and immediately judges me and comes scolding me.All these 4 yrs there is no one occasion he discussed or communicated about anything to me or he politely spoke with me when my mother in law or sister in-law says something about me just to listen my side of story.From past 1 year we don't have any physical relationship.
    i tried many times to discuss with him to sought of the things but he hurt his ego for everything and
    will react so rudely and badly blames me in reverse that i end up crying not understanding what mistake i did after all. I lost count about the lack of affection he doesn’t show, the lack of conversation, the lack of everything really. I am convinced I mean absolutely nothing to him and he is only with me because of society.
    i am not working all these years and slowly all these things started taking toll on me,am confident independent fun loving person before marriage.but i don't have any of those now.I know the solution to ignore my in laws and sister in law and to engage my self in job.(This just diverts my mind not solves my prob)
    but i don't know how to live with a person who betrays you,do not trust you,who play politics with you,who doesn't care for you(even to an enemy we will show some courtesy to ask why are you not feeling well)I never heard such words from my dh.
    My Dh behavior killing me,feeling so bad with all these prob i don't know what to do.I am completely lost.
    Want to know,does anybody of you have such experience with your dh?
    What kind of person my dh is and how to deal with him?
    what should i do with my sister in law and feeling , my in laws attitude of What girl parents can do?
    or I am thinking something wrong? Please help me...your answers will help me decide my life

2. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

OMG, I had to read your posting twice. Your sister in law is married to her Mumma ji, is this not illegal? Is that not incest or something close to it? Anyways you seriously need to stay out of your SIL business. Your DH and IL don't want to involve you in it so I would stay out of it. Why are you bothering yourself over her issues. As well, would you really have not married your DH if you knew the status of his sister marriage. Most times in arranged marriages it is up to girls family (sadly) to do investigations to see what family is like. I am sure if you had done this investigation you would have discovered this info. This is neither here nor there, but your SIL bad marriage really does not have bearing on your and your DH marriage two totally different identities. I am worried that you are contemplating suicide over your SIL failed marriage? She is not even your sister. You have to dig deeper, the real culprit here is your DH - he does not take care of you and puts his family first, you need to work out that issue first, sister is secondary. As well, you are married for 4 years and your child is 3 years old, hence you knew before you got pregnant about your SIL situation, so if it bothered you so much why bring a child into a marriage that you did not want? I am sorry if I sound mean, or not on your side but I think you are blaming the wrong people, SIL and MIL will get away with what they can, it is your DH that you need to deal with and perhaps leave if he is not treating you well.

3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Just forget your SIL and her relationship issues. None of your concerns and why the hell break your head over their problems. Let your husband talk or do whatever he wants with them on phone. Don't interfere.

Focus your attention on improving your relationship with your husband. The more you talk about your in laws with your husband, the more the strained your relationship with him is going to be. Try to improve your qualification and upgrade it for searching for a job. You have to take some steps for searching for jobs. Try to focus on those issues and leave the in laws at bay ( in mind).

Good luck.

28neha likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Getting a job will divert the mind. That diversion is a big achievement. The problem will then appear smaller. You will have increased confidence to deal with things.

Betrayal is a harsh word for such non-disclosure. It is not fair, but what's done is done. You let that ruin your married life beyond what it deserved. Never too late. If you resolve, and see the benefit of it to you and your child, you can slowly salvage your relationship with your husband.

Get a job.

guesshoo likes this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Why did he not tell about his sister before marriage ?

You answered the questions yourself, stigma attached to it so much that you would not married him.

I don't understand why does it matter if his sister is divorced and talks to him.

Take your mind of your sis in law and concentrate on getting a job

6. suhana123

suhana123 New IL'ite

Hi sunshine,
    thanks for your reply,it meant a lot to me.Its not about the sister in law issue am worrying,the most concern part is my dh betraying me.Every family will have issues,even my family had issues with my father and i discussed everything openly with him and asked him to only accept this alliance if he is ok with it, because i think mutual respect and understanding is very imp and respected his emotions and feelings and dont want to betray him. i expected same from him but till today he does that.
    We investigated about his family and as my sis-in-law marriage is within the family they held it so secretly till my marriage that's my karma i think.
    I did not had suicidal tendencies because of my sis-in-law failure marriage its the feeling how harsh , rude,ignored i feel when my dh treats me like that.
    i came to know about my sisterinlaw and my pregnancy at the same time,as i said its just beginning of my marriage and didn't expect my dh to turn out like this also am against going for abortion(its not easy for me).my daughter is the only reason am still staying in this relationship.
    vaidehi..
    thank you,i never ever spoke with dh abt my sis in law badly i always tried to be part of their family and never was i accepted into their family being good person or DIL doesnt work in my case I stopped speaking about their family matters with him long time back.
    Hi rihana,
    I tried a lot just for my daughter sake, forgot everything and never (+ or -ve)spoke about anything related to their family from past 3 years. doesn't matter how much effort i put there will be no + conversation from his side.Sometimes i feel that patience to wait for him to change sometimes i feel completely lost as am feeling now.How long should i live with such person who ignores me completely.
    Yes i think job gives me some break and am trying hard for it.
    Hi armummy,
    it doent matter to me if my dh sister talk to him.it only matters to me if she wants to control it and my dh doesnt see it and offcourse i cannot talk to him about it(I feel trapped). I feel in such scenarios husband and wife should have proper communication otherwise the results would b ver bad.

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, You need to get a hold on yourself first. Your husband may have hidden his sister's troubled marital life but that's normal . He may feel ashamed to discuss it with a prospective alliance. You disclosed everything its your criteria. But he didn't do it its not a sin. I know its upsetting news and you feel cheated but he didn't feel necessary and that's a fact. Why did you spoil your marriage thinking about how to fix your SIL's marriage. Pregnancy is a special time. You spoiled it for unnecessary things like this. I say unnecessary becoz it was not in your control to spoil or bring them back together. So why all the fuss.

First of all stop thinking about everybody else and think about your life and marriage. Your SIL left her husband her choice. Why do you bother about her? She is manipulating your hubby becoz she found one person she can control.Next time your hubby starts with a fight ask him did MIL-SIL tell him about this. If he says no yes or its after a phone call, walk out of there.Repeat the same 2-3 times. If he plonks down and insists you listen , say he does the same after each call and its not new. Do it repeatedly and he will realize these are baseless things.Good Luck.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  8. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

get a grip on yourself. It looks like you are overwhelmed by all that has been / is happening around you. ecause of this, you are losing sight of what is really important. Do this exercise for yourself-

1)Write down all those issues that are bothering you. Just a line or two, not a whole paragraph because this is for you to sort out your feelings and noone needs to know what the details are.

2) Put these issues in different columns - like issues with your SIL wil be one section, issues with MIL will be second section, issues with H will be the third section - you get the picture!

3) Now analyze what is REALLY important.

Do the SIL issues matter to you? Does it affect your married life? (apart from the fact that H hid it from you) What about your MIl's antics? Does it affect your marriage? Once you do this, you will see that none of this really matters in your life and the only thing that affects your life is your H's attitude towards you! What can you do about it? Focus ONLY on your marriage. See how you can get your H to commit more into your marriage. I am saying again what others before me have said. Your SIl and her life is not important. You are focusing on all these external things and getting upset when you should be actually working on your marriage.

Have you thought about this? It is a upsetting environment in your family. Your H is dragged into this mess because it is his sister. NOT an excuse to treat you badly but stress takes its toll on all. You could provide him the solid ground that he requires at this moment. Can you be a little more patient? Give him space. If he yells, walk away. Do not react. Let him know you are available for listening IF he can be civilized. Focus on your child and have activities that make you happy. Find your peace and he will soon realize that you have something that he doesn't! I believe this relationship can be saved and strengthened. Do your bit.

All the very Best

9. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Not sure what you could have handled if you knew. And please don't think you can decide for everything and everyone once you enter a family. Since all are elder to you, just be confident that they can take best decision for their life. Not sure why you feel he betrayed you! A breaking marriage was sensitive issue for the family. Just coz you mentioned about your family thing that doesn't mean husband should also do the same.

That's even wrong if you say she has replaced her bro as husband. Just coz she is discussing her problems with bro, that doesn't give license to anyone to say this. Yes she needs to understand tat she cant take brother's family time. there are something which men are good be it gadgets, cars...

Do you have brothers? Do their wives talk like this about your mother or you when you look for discuss your problems!

SGBV likes this.
  10. Sadiaomar79

Sadiaomar79 New IL'ite

Suhana.. after reading your two different posts it just seems like your contradicting your own statements and stances.
    Firstly. You seem a little off in the head to me. Im sorry to be coming off rude but you need to hold on to your horses. What has your sisinterlaws family problems got to do with your life. What if these problems actuly cropped up after you got married. Would you still be cursing over the fact of not being married to your husband
    I also think your husband must be sickand tired of your nagging him. All the home chores you did in the USA 10 days before your delivery was your choice to do it. You could have just opted out of it and chose to relax. You cant expect your husband to do all the work, im sure he must have helped as much as he could. Or even if he didnt pls dont eat his life over it for life. Its okay. They are men. They will learn with time and experience. Im sorry but its disgusting how you potray the relationship between your husband and his sis. God she is his SISTER for crying out loud. Your husband is being nice and kind by giving her a shoulder to cry on and i think thats what brothers should do. I would spit on a brother who isnt around to help his sister with problems. If she chats with him even everyday for an hour or two is not going to jeopardise the rest of the 22hrs he has with you. I just think your not making the best use of it ... im sure with a wife like you who keeps crying and whining he would wanna be on the phone all the time. Yes as far as his behaviour with you in concerned it is something you earn by being understanding and by comforting him.. not cry only about your own problems when you dont have any. Pls start acting like a mature woman

Jazmine83 likes this.