1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning ears using water

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mangaii, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi all,
    My 2 year old was running over 103 fever.I took her to doctor and after looking into her ears the dr suggested that she is having lot of wax and he may need to spray water to clean them and then check ears to make sure she did'nt catch infection.I informed him I will come back tomorrow morning.Do you think its OK for 2 year old to clean ears like this ?
    I do use buds at home and clean them once in 3-4 days.Is there is anything else I can do to clean at home ?
    Any suggestions are welcome
    Thanks
    Mangai

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

It safe to syringe with water certainly (as long as its done by a doctor). If there is a lot of wax and esp if it is impacted (has dried up) it may not be possible for you to remove it at home. There are drops which can be used to soften up the wax so it comes out easily - may be you could ask your doc abt that? Is she feeling better today?
    Earwax buildup - BabyCenter
    EARWAX (this gives a method to get the wax out at home)

Vanathi.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,Mangaii,it is safe.For my son too,his ped in CA did that when he was around 3 1/2 yrs old.They just syringe the water into the ear and the water keeps coming out immediately along with the wax.Here,the doctors usually don't advice wax softeners or ear buds.Please don't use ear buds to clean since it pushes the wax further inside and is therefore the main cause of infection.Use the end of a thin towel,roll it like a cone and clean the ears.

4. mangaii

Thanks Vanathi.Her regular doc looked into her ears and said its looking fine.The urgent care doctors are mostly not good.Thats the reason I wanted to wait till today morning.But I have married a Mr.Tension who will run to dr even for small things to doc.

Thanks for the links
    Mangai

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Induslady or moderators

I guess this is the same thing many others had expressed earlier..that a small group of people get together in a thread or in a discussion and if anyone else interferes or gives a feedback,it is totally ignored,like as though that user does not exist at all.

I had given my feedback with best interests in mind,but it is not being appreciated ...that's ok.Please Malathy,kindly delete my post in this thread.

6. mangaii

Thanks for your information.

Mangai

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ok - good that she's well.

V.

8. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

Mangaii,

You may wipe the wax in the outer ear, if you can see it, with a piece of cotton. But do not use earbuds to clean the inner ear of a toddler. It only worsens by pushing the earwax further inside, as Sunitha says.

My little one use to frequently get ear infection and later her ped found out it is because of too much ear wax build up. They used to rinse her ear during the regular check-ups if they find ear wax built up. They also said dehydration causes ear wax to build up, so give your daughter plenty of fluids (water, juice, soups, etc.).

Hope she is doing better now. Take care.

Kanmani

9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Reviving an old thread.

I am not a child, but i did the mistake of using earbud to remove wax. I pushed it deep in, and i became half deaf. I tried all gimmicks which include drops, warm water, etc. Nothing helped.

Oh and i did try the warm water in a glass, and lying on the glass(with ear lobe covering it). This is helpful if ear is clogged from the inside. But not now.

Then i visited a doctor(finally!), and he used a long syringe like thing which gives a tsunami effect and all dirt came out. I breathed a sign of relief.

The doctor also told, better to use WAXONIL which costs Rs.45(but for his syringe work he took Rs.50 only, much better value, you see) and it will loosen the wax and then we can use Good quality buds(which wont shred) only to remove the waxy liquid which will come out from deep. Never push the bud deeper where you cannot see.

This he suggested for children too. Hence i am posting it here. And i hope people are aware of the cotton quality of cheap earbuds.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011