Chocolate Business

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by srilu, Apr 14, 2008.

1. mk88

mk88 New IL'ite

Dear Archana,

I orginally came across this forum while looking for baking and chocolate making lessons and have been avidly following the posts. I am a student and am currently staying in Chennai. Regarding chocolate making i must say that your posts were very educational and in the event that you are taking classes on this subject do let me know as i would love to join. I am very eager to learn both chocolate making and baking and would like some guidance as i havent tried my hand in either. So do let me know if you are taking some lessons.. Thanks!

Regards,
    Malini

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Dear Malini!

Welcome to IL

I am a student, a very amateur one in baking. You should check the series that come in baking by Chitvish ( Check her Step by step Instructions, in the forum Ask Chitvish). I was searching for a person to learn baking from, and found that Chitvish required a assistance in taking photos for her recepies. We decided to work together, and so I have been attending quite some classes with her. It has been enlightening as well as educative.

About chocolate making,I guess the proecedure is simple enough to do on your own if you check the step by step thread that has photos and process. For the availability of items, you can ask me anytime! I am planning to take classes sometime in the future, but I personally beleive I need to be more equipped and educated to do the same!

Cheers

Archana

3. bedazzled

bedazzled New IL'ite

Hi Archana/Chitvish and everyone else who are involved in chocolate making ..

I saw a post talking about using stabilizers while making chocolates.. i have been trying to get stabilisers in chennai , but have not been successful.. can u help plss..!?? i have tried at vajravelu and Venus and a few other shops on walltax rd .. none of them seem to have a choco stabilizer !

Waiating u r replies !

Regds

4. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Dear Dazzle!

I had used stabilisers earlier when I made chocolates. This was atleast 2 years ago. Even when I went and enquired recently, they did not have it. I now make them without stabilisers. I read in CV's forum that you make a mix of morde and marco. I have found from my expereince that Morde stays longer and tastes better, and of course is expensive. And yes, once done, chocolates have to be kept in the fridge, atleast in Chennai. I will let you know if I come across a store that sells chocolate stabilisers in chennai!

Cheers

Archana

5. bedazzled

bedazzled New IL'ite

Dear Archana

Thanks a ton for the reply.. i normally mix dark compound of Morde with milk of marco.. i have not been able to get morde dark in Venus and vajravelu. when making ganaches , most recipies ask for spreading on parchment paper..i dont have parchment paper ,so i tried with butter paper and it sticks to the paper .. any ideas how to avoid this problem.. i let my ganaches set in the fridge ,so when i take them out they become runny and soggy.. i have to again put it back in the fridge for rechilling..also condensation forms on them .. i am also looking at some sealing agent for liquer chocolate (liquer with liquid glucose/cream).. they break very easily when just put inside molds .. would love u r inputs on that as well.. looking forward to you responses..

Thanx & Regards

Bedazzled

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Dear Dazzle!!

By Ganache, do you mean a setting on a cake, or a chocolate. To my limited knowledge, Ganache is a mixture of heavy cream with chocolate. I dont think this can stand chennai climate without refregiration. Condensation as well is bound to occur. Commercial chocolates use preservatives. On my next visit to stores, I will find out if there are any preservatives that can be home - used. About your covering for liquor chocolates, do you mean a cover for the mould, or for the chocolates once they are done?

Cheers

Archana

7. bedazzled

bedazzled New IL'ite

hi archana

By ganache i did mean mixture of chocolate and cream (ganache chocolates ) .. and as with liquer chocolates, i use liquer as a filling inside a mold. i make the bottom mold , fill with liquer syrup and close the mold with thick layer .. invariably , the liquer finds a way to seep out .. 2/10 only will remain sealed.. i read somewhere that thats teh nature of liquer to break down chocolate .. i am looking for ways to seal the mold so that liquer doesnt get out ..i was also curious on how u guys were going about selling chocolates.. i have noticed that event planners leave u with very less margins to work with .. almost negligient .. i am thinking of staring my own chocolate business and wondering how to go abt it !

Regards

B

8. Suchikc

Suchikc New IL'ite

Hi Archana,

You have give a really gud idea for me....
    Hope to learn from you about the same...

Regards

Suchi

9. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

I dont think this method will work. I had once tried pouring a strawberry crush into the chocolate shell, and it seeped out. I think it needs to semi solid or solid for us to stuff into the chocolate. Try adding liquer to chocolate before you put in a mould. A few drops for 100 grams should be strong enough. Adding raisins or dried berries will enhance the taste.

Have sold only in fairs, bazaars and gifted to friends. It depends on the deal you strike with a event planner! Where are you based out of?

Love

Arch

10. yuktha89

yuktha89 New IL'ite

Hi Archana,

Read yo posts abt choco makin :) was very impressed...i would lyk to take up choco makin as my business...actually i'm a choco lover n studied choco makin a month back n i had put my innovations into it to make many new varieties...i had gr8 responses 4m frnds n relatives who had tasted my chocos...tat made me take up choco makin as a business...i ve visited all these essence shops at walltax road but was not much satisfied wit d packin materials...cud you plz suggest me wit attractive packin materials such as boxes wit compartments in 'em...plz do reply me wit some of yo valuable suggestions :)

Regards,
    yuktha

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009