Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 1)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Ami, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

thank you

Dear Mrs Chithra,

Thank you for the recipe of poricha kozhambu. I also look forward to getting the next in that series.

Our guests enjoyed all your recipes especially veg kurma, thayir vadai,lemon rasam, chanar payesh. It made our cooking so much easier to have all set recipes with standard measurements and tips. A big thank-you.

I have been collecting some of yr earlier recipes from IT (not put by PVR). I found a good recipe for panner makhan masala. Will it be possible to post some similar recipes in IL as well, like mattar paneer, vegetable makhni etc?

Please take your time. Any recipe put by you is treasured by all of us.

best regards
    Vidya

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Vidya !

Dear Vidya,
    A big thankyou for the nice feedback.
    I am amazed how you keep track of the recipes I posted in I T ! They were all the lost recipes, because of the network problem, there. Really, I want to know, how you traced them. Luckily I have copies of those recipes & it is quite easy for me to post them.
    I hope you made a note of Kadappah - you asked for the moong dhal recipe for Puri. I am told, this is the recipe.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

IT recipes

Dear Mrs Chithra,

First, a big thank you for Kadappah recipe. I have been trying to get the full recipe for long.

I just typed your name in IT search and this recipe turned up. But I have done a similar search before and at that time it did not come up. So I guess it was my lucky day.

I don't know deep into networking, but is it possible that the recipes are not really lost, but lurking somewhere and turn up in the odd search? I got a few different recipes (of you) in that search.

best regards
    Vidya

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

feedback

Dear Chitra,

this afternoon, tried garlic vathakuzambu, Milaku kuzambu and paruppu thogayal. the whole house was smelling so good - with fried masalas.

all these dishes have tamarind as a main ingredient and I feel the tamarind paste that I made isn't very tasty and I've a query regarding the same. It tastes sour but normally tamarind has a slight sweet taste also and I'm not happy with the color. Its pale brown - shldn't it be of darker shade to get the dish right??

shld we use the almost black coloured tamarind or the brownish ones or the light brown variety to get best taste?????????????????? or a mix of 1 & 3.

Inspite of it, I liked the taste but want to perfect it so this query.

when it comes to gravy, all I knew was samber, masala kuzambu, rasam, chutney, thokku.

Of late, I'm learning a lot more names of dishes, thanks to you.

thank you sooooooooo much.

Love & Regards,

5. Chitvish

Hello Meena !

Dear Meena,
    The quality of tamarind makes all the difference to a dish. Normally, we buy a quality called Bangalore puli which has shades of sweetness as well. It is medium brown in colour. From January, new tamarind starts arriving in the market. Since it said to be less " mature", we usually mix the old stock little with this & cook. Particularly for milaku kuzambu etc, old tamarind is good & more spicy. Always best tamarind is said to be the Bangalore variety. I think you can enquire in the shops specifically & ask for the best variety.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

6. meenaprakash

feedback & query

Dear Chitra,

thanks for the reply on tamarind - need to buy new stock and prepare the paste again - the old one is almost finished; shall look out for the bangalore puli this time.

Last evening had prepared the masal mochai and this was the taste I was looking for... I'd tasted this years back . Its after reading yr recipe did I realise the besan crumbs makes all the difference.

thank you for the wonderful recipe - it turned out great........

have frozen the first batch of avarai - got few more kgs of it -shld follow ur tips and freeze some more of it today....

can u tell me when do we get green peas in abundance, the season I mean??? had bought a little day b4; would like to store peas also. Is it after pongal?????

the pumpkin is fully ripe and yellow - might pluck it this weekend and repeat damrot halwa with one full pumpkin this time.

7. Chitvish

hello Meena !

Dear Meena,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Peas season is just starting. Watch out for the prices. Here in retail market it may not go below 14-15 Rs. aat a time I buy 5 kgs - more than that, depoding will be time consuming.
    regards,
    Chithra.

8. meenaprakash

feedback

Dear Chitra,

Just tasted navrathna parupusili that I prepared for lunch.
    the smell was so good that I ate my lunch early.

it was just divine.

one small query, does usili mean a slightly dry, side dish?????
    does that also mean all usilis will be dry and not gravier??? just to know more about the dish I prepared, thats it..

will look out for peas now. latest I bought was 24/- per kg.

so, when am I gonna kiss your hands, Chitra??????????????????

thank you soooooooooooooooo very much

9. Chitvish

Hello Meena !

Dear Meena,
    Paruppusili is a dry dish & never has a gravy.
    We usually make morkuzambu or vathakuzambu on the day we make paruppusili - that is a very good combination.
    Hands are ready ----- !
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Sakhi

Sakhi New IL'ite

Bangalore puli

Dear Mrs Chithramadam,

I am interested in getting this Bangalore puli.

Can you tell me where I can get it in Madras?

Another similar query, where in Madras can we get good quality neem flowers and sundakkai for angayapodi, navarasa podi etc?

I have relatives who will buy it for me. These are not available properly in Bombay and I have to get stocks from TVM.

Also, I have a request for your demystifying series. Can you make sevai more maker friendly? We all use rice sevai ready made and I would really like to do sevai pizhiyal at home.

Happy, happy New Year!
    Satya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.