Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Deleted

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

That's true. I agree.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2019
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

And not all H4 visa holders can get their EADs. Only if their spouse has approved I-140 or PERM are eligible for EAD.
    Even Canada has something similar which allows spouses to work if they satisfy some criteria.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You made a good point. You shouldn't have deleted your post. : )

shravs3 likes this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

To avoid controversy :grinning:

Sunshine04 and Gauri03 like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Nothing is the matter with being a nation of a mixed bag of people who came from elsewhere. In the old day, the citizenship exam also included questions like "what makes a person ineligible, when downfield?"

shravs3 likes this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Hey. I did say your point is correct :hearteyes:

Cheeniya and shravs3 like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is an immigrant nation, people become citizens by marriage, or get GC's through the H-1B, E-2, or L-1B visas. Once an H1B, E2 or L1B visa person gets a GC, he/she and spouse can work in any job and all these folks are potentially taking away jobs from people who were citizens by birth. All this is true.

The question is why should a certain category of H4 visa holders be allowed to work after spouse has approved I-140 or PERM? What was the reasoning behind the 2015 rule change? This is a real question, not asking to make a point. I have read reasons like "too long wait otherwise due to backlogs", "wasted potential", "not working leads to mental stress", "can be better off contributing to society." I couldn't find any of these sufficient reason enough to change the rule from as it existed before 2015.

The USCIS gives the following as one reason for the proposed rule change that will no longer allow a category of H4's to work:
    Some U.S. workers would benefit from this proposed rule by having a better chance at obtaining jobs that some of the population of the H-4 workers currently hold, as the proposed rule would no longer allow H-4 workers to enter the labor market early.

So, why should H4's with approved I-140 or PERM be allowed to enter the labor market earlier than they would be able to before 2015? More so, when that labor market includes jobs that are not suffering from insufficient Americans available.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

US government can implement something similar to Canada’s LMIA before providing jobs. Win win for both.

Find out if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and how to hire a temporary foreign worker - Canada.ca