1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chandigarh Shows The Way

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

CHANDIGARH SHOWS THE WAY

When you wash your car make sure you do it with water in a bucket instead of from a pipo. If you are caught be prepared to cough up Rs 2,000 as fine.

Where do you have such a rule? Somewhere in USA? In water starved California may be ? Nope. it is one of draconian but much needed steps to conserve water in sadda Chandigarh.

The union territory has also barred people from washing courtyards with water and failure to check tank overflows will also lead to penal action.
    .It is nice to know that at last someone is showing respect to water. May be Chandigarh can afford to do that as it does not have an elected government but is run by an administrator who doesn't have to go begging for votes. If Chandigarh had an elected government that took such steps immediately opposition will howl murder to score political brownie points. That is one of the blessings of democracy.

There is an alarming lack of respect for water across India. It is taken for granted that it is an inexhaustible resource. From cricket pitches to households people treat it with the familiarity of dealing with a member of the household. Millions of litres of water are wasted ti prepared the pitches for the IPL cricket tournament in Maharashtra while a large part of the state is reeling under drought..

Look what this kind of an attitude has led Bangalore. According to a study a large part of the city's population may have to be evacuated in a few years because over 50% of the city's water sources are toxic, thanks to effluents including outpourings of washing machines and contamination by sewerage. I think every tap in Bangalore should have a statutory warning. over it. "DRINKING THIS WATER IS INJURIOUS TO HEALTH". The local authorities have done nothing except talk.

I suspect Bangalore is just tip of an iceberg. Many Indian cities are growing in an unplanned manner without even giving a thought to what will they do with all their sewerage and how will they get potable water for people in the highrises burgeoning without control. The mentality is once you build a colony or office structure, the infrastructure will automatically follow. This attitude needs to be changed, even if it means lot of armtwisting. Except Tamil Nadu, I don't think people elsewhere can even spell Rainwater Harvesting.,

Hats off to you Chandigarh. You have given us a beautiful Earth Day gift. Hope this knocks some sense into other cities too,. -

coolmum, IniyaaSri, kiran82 and 12 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, I don't even want to get started, or else ......

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Water is a precious resource and there is no question. I also blame the Chennai city for irresponsibly sanctioning construction of residential units in water sources for many years causing major damage to the entire city recently. All the lakes and ponds in Chennai city disappeared and replaced with colonies. Despite non-stop rain for a month, there was no storage other than a few lakes and all the water disappeared into the sea. Struggle for water will go on from next year.

Viswa

Lathasv likes this.
  4. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

It may be a drop in the ocean, but nevertheless a great effort by Chandigarh govt. I stay in the suburbs of Kolkata, through which river Ganga flows and needless to say, water issues are minimal due to abundance of fresh water ponds and reachable water tables. But it is heartening to see that citizens dont respect their water resources, and are meticulously involved in dirtying the water resources. Its very disheartening to see people in other corners of the country waiting in queue for water or walking long distances, and here, people dont care a damn about the precious resources, let alone thinking about the water starved corners of the country. I guess such laws should be levied countrywide, to raise awareness.

coolmum and Lathasv like this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Thought provoking snippet. Thanks for sharing with us @Balajee

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Agreed with u on many points. But was the drought not known when the T20 world cup started ? Then when thety allowed the matches in Maharashtra then, why not now ?
    i feel this is politics at play. And i must tell u this Balaji. Farmers in Rajasthan, some 15 years back, were given a bill of 125 per month of electricity, unlimited useage, so what they used to do is draw out water 24 hours a day, bcs electricity was cheap, and they screwed the water levels. And we used to have elect cuts in the main city.

A lot of it is politics. What about the sugar belt of maharastra, which consumes so much water? what about it ?

Regards
    kamal

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi it is better to get started than not to get started. I can understand your anger the way water is being screwed up in Bangalore.Like your petition to BMMP, I think you should start another petition for those jokers to prevent sewerage and effluents mixing with potable water.

satchitananda likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa all cities of TN have rainwater harvesting systems. Nowadays you can't build a house in TN without rainwater harvesting.In fact the state is a pioneer. There was a building boom during Karunanidhi;s rule when housing and office complexes were built on water bodies. In fact the massive flood was due to the blocking off of all outlets for the rain water by irresponsible boom in colonies that started during Congress rule. The Nandanam area, a posh complex was built during Congress rule blocking outlet of rain water and every government has continued to sanction irresponsible constructions., But at least Tamil Nadu there is awareness ofr proper water storage. .

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

There should be draconian laws in the country for saving water.People are just not bgothered that water is a resource that can get depleted. SHeavy fines and even imprisonment must be imposed for water wastage.

goldfish99 likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

KCB hope this raises some awareness about conservation of water.