1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cerelac for 6months baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by IlovemyMom, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MyCreativity

MyCreativity Gold IL'ite

I have a son who is 2.5 years and weights 17.5 KG and height is 93 Cms :)
    Yes...you heard it right ! He is not obese...a very firm and solid body. Hyper active child.

Why I am telling you this is, so that you can know who is advicing and why....Whether you should go by her advice ? :)

I have never given any kind of outside food for my son.
    When I asked my paediatrician (From Columbia Asia) he said...If you want your child to really be healthy...give him house food and not tinned food.
    So, apart from his normal 2 meal and 4 time milk, I feed him khichdi twice a day made of (Rice + moong dal + wheat oats + carrot + beetroot) with curd or milk.

No processed food can stand equal to what nature has given us !
    Rest is up to you to decide :)

1 person likes this.
  2. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

I agree with what MyCreativity said.

When I took paediatrician advice to start which one, he almost brainwashed me for 1 hr and finally said, why do you want to give packed food to your daughter which was prepared even before she was born. There are plenty of options to feed the children. Like Cooked apple, potatoes, Ragi Kanji, softly boiled rice with dal. To start with these are enough along with milk. Slowly the solids would be increased. Paediatrician also strictly warned against giving biscuits when she was just 6 months. I had not used any packed food to her.

3. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi Karanu,
    Did you try nestum for your baby..does she like it? Iam now giving sweet potato, apple purees. Iam giving one time solids. How about you?

4. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

@MyCreativity, kiranavvari ,
    Thank you so much for the advises. Will try to avoid tinned food.

5. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

I am very happy to see the trend young mothers following now - starting with home made food, not going for precooked, tinned which contains preservatives which is not at all good for tiny stomach.

As one young mother mentioned in this thread there is no need for giving cerelac or nestum etc. Whatever cooked at home can be made into food for the LO to start with. Only it needs to be cooked tender and made little smoother so that Lo one can eat easily and digest easily. Generally by the age of 12 - 18 months the toddler should be able to eat the food cooked for the family sans spices.

When you are cooking for yourself and your hubby make it for your LO too. Take small amount of whatever veg you are cooking (boiling) on that day and grind it in a mixie with water strain it to make veg soup. Potato, carrot, sweet potato, apple anything be can put in a small cup and cooked in the cooker along with rice, dal and other things. This will save your time as yo are left alone with your baby at home.

Preservatives added in the tinned, precooked food can create allergies and they are not good for health.

Ganthi

6. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

ILovemyMom : I have started nestum and my DD is taking a few spoons. I think it's milder compared to cerelac. anyway, will monitor for a few days and see her level of acceptance.

MyCreativity : I also want to give her home made cereal. I prepare her veg and fruit puree myself in the afternoons. I give her cereal in the morning and at that time, it's difficult to leave her alone for 5-10 mins while preparing cereal. That's the reason I choose to go with packed food.

Would really like some tips from moms who managed everything by themselves, how did you manage to cook baby food since we can't leave babies alone even for a few min? Once my DD starts to sit on her own, I can keep her near my vicinity while I cook in the kitchen.

7. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Hi Karanu,
    Try ragi home made cereal.. its also instant home made food..the initial preparation takes time, if you make it in large batches, you can store the raagi powder in freezer and prepare raagi porridge whenever required.
    You can use a bouncer/rocker in the kitchen, talk to her while preparing food.

8. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Thanks chotabheem....I will make ragi powder. I believe you shared your recipe in July forums, will look for that. I tried to keep her in her pram while I'm in the kitchen but she gets restless within a few min and wants me to lift her :)

9. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Even my DD is like that. She won't sit in the rocker for even 5 mins. Will start crying until I lift her. So it's really difficult for me to prepare food for her.

10. vinayaji

vinayaji Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    I have 2 kids one is 3.5 and 2nd is 8 mnt. I know that home made food is always better for my baby, but can't get time to prepare it. whenever possible my 1 st prefrence is for home made food. But sometime i have to feed cerelac.