1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cerelac for 6months baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by IlovemyMom, Feb 13, 2012.

1. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

My baby is 5 months old. She is on breast milk and formula. Once she turns 6 months I am planning to give her cerelac for solids. Please advise if cerelac contains sugar? Will my baby develop sweet tooth ? And does it cause weight gain for babies?
    Cerelac contains milk. Since we are not supposed to give cow's milk to babies under 1 yr, is cerelac safe enough? Though in India cerelac is given to most babies. I am confused if I can use cerelac? Kindly advise.

2. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

Cerelac is good. And the baby requires all the nourishment and tastes. It is said that cow's milk is not good for babies. But nowadays they dont sell fresh cow's milk. It is double pasteurized and since you are in the US, you will also get low fat milk.

And I have a 2-year old son. I started solid like rice and sambar wen he was juz 6 months. I did not have any restrictions over his diet and now at the age of 2, he eats everything whatever we eat. I have never cooked anything special for my kid.. Babies have to try everything so that they get used to the taste. As you are an Indian, try dhal and rice. Mix it very smooth, maybe a small grinding in the mixer would help. Add a bit of salt. This should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi priya,

Thanks a lot for the ideas. Planning to start with rice cereal, cerelac first. Then i would slowly introduce rice, rasam etc.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Cerelac contains sugar and vanilla. That is why kids seem to love it. Some of my friends felt that their kids have developed sweet tooth because of cerelac. I completely skipped cerelac for my LO (now 7.5 month old) She loves eating fruits and vegetables. I also add puréed fruits to rice cereal to get the sweet taste.

5. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi ramya,

Thank you.

6. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Cerelac is quite safe.. its being used from ages, even I was fed cerelac .. :) I dono why people say children will develop sweet tooth if they are fed cerelac.. its the child's choice..my LO HATES cerelac !! can u belv it!
    But its always better to start with home made food.. when travelling or in a hurry , u can opt for cerelac..

7. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi chotabheem,
    The reason I started this thread was I am looking after my baby alone till hubby returns from office. She always wants me around else starts crying. I don't think I can cook proper food for her. Hence wanted to give her cerelac. My parents say almost all babies in India eat cerelac. But some discussions in IL said its not good as it contains sugar. Hence I was in a confusion. First planning to try some homemade rice cereal. If she doesn't like it I have to go for cerelac.

8. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Hi ILovemyMom, I tried Cerelac rice for my 5.5 month old baby, she liked it but was crying a lot after taking it due to stomach ache. She also had loose stools. So we took her to a pediatrician and she advised us to stop Cerelac and give Nestum rice. Planning to start Nestum from tomorrow.

9. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi Karanu,
    Oh your baby had problem after eating cerelac? I haven't yet started cerelac. Nestum does not contain milk whereas cerelac has milk. I have started with sweet potato puree for my baby and sometimes daal water.

10. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

I'm also trying sweet potato puree and she seems to like it. I've just started giving her muskmelon puree and she loved it. I've earlier tried carrot water and apple water (boiled, pureed and strained). Didn't face any issues though she resisted initially.