1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Caution deposit in apartments before I leave - best bet

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Jan 9, 2012.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Myself, my husband and my toddler have lived in our current apt for 4 years. As one would imagine with a toddler, our walls have crayon marks, carpets are stained( ( despite our best effort to clean/sanitize them) and bathroom tiles need some rework. Our lease ends this feb and likely we lose our caution deposit. Probably they may charge us more on the top.

My only defense is that even in absence of all the stains there should be regular maintenance work scheduled, since it s 4 long years. A scheduled maintenance which includes carpet change/ painting the apartment should take care of existing stains. Why should we pay then ?

Does anyone have advice for me to win this argument ? I may have to refer lease agreement, but thought someone who has been in my position can share her advice.

2. DST

DST Bronze IL'ite

MeenLoch, Try to erase/get rid off the crayon marks, carpet stains as much as possible.

Only thing I would suggest you to do is, Ask your apt management to inspect the apartment in your presence and not once you leave your apt.

Yes, they do paint, do carpet cleaning, kitchen and everything once the apt is vacant. But still they charge the resident for the mess.

Though I didn't help you exactly what you are looking for,I'm speaking this from my experience.Even I posted here a related problem in the thread " How to deal this?".

My girl did some crayon works in the den walls, but they gave us the notice " Crayon marks all over the house"""..worst thing and they charged us $250 for painting.

3. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

A Mr. Clean Magic eraser may remove the crayon marks, if the walls are painted with a semi-gloss paint.
    Here is a site with suggestions for removing crayon:How To Remove Crayon Marks From The Walls
    If the tile work needed is regrouting, that should be covered under normal wear and tear, but damaged tile (cracked, broken, etc) may not be.
    Did you do a move in inspection? If so, some of the stains/damage may have been noted before you moved in.

We are moving in July, and don't expect to get our security deposit back-though all damages (carpets fraying/stained, wall marks/stains, and a crappy, dead lawn) were all noted on the move-in inspection. Colorado is not very renter-friendly :(