Can Women Perform Pooja At Home?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Anusha2917, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

Today while just having a conversation with my colleague I got this doubt.
    My parents are not much into doing any Pooja at home. They celebrate all festivals, but this thing of doing elaborate Prasadham , neivaidhyam is not their cup of tea. They are a bit more liberal when it comes to performing Pooja .

My memory goes back to days , for Ganesh Chathurthi mom used to make the Prasadham, dad used to read some Pooja book, follow instructions and perform Pooja and Neivaidhyam. Other than this since mom is working(still working) , she didn't really have much time for elaborate festival celebration ,chanting of Shlokam etc.

Now coming to in laws, they are opposite to my parents. They follow all traditions to the T. Right from making elaborate Pooja, variety Neivaidhyam , reading a lot of religious scripts they follow all traditions. What I have observed is , for most festivals my MIL's duty is in the kitchen , preparing delicacies and FIL always does the Pooja (Aarathi, Neivaidhyam etc. ) I have no complaints on either my parents or in laws.

Now coming to Husband - He is super good in everything . We have no issues. But he is opposite to his parents . He doesn't believe in doing any Pooja. Has very little interest in celebrating festivals in an elaborate manner( and he claims himself to be super practical saying that). Given a chance he will skip a particular festival giving reasons like office work etc etc.

I , who used to not even light a lamp before marriage turned out opposite after marriage after seeing in laws. To keep myself occupied I believe in celebrating all festivals in elaborate manner, making prasadam , pooja, neivaidhyam , Aarathi etc. My in laws never said me don't do. They are more than happy if I do anything. But they keep insisting my husband to learn how to perform a particular Pooja (like Ganesh Chathurthi etc). He doesn't bother to listen.

Now Navrathri is going on. I am performing Nava Durga pooja, chanting LS, preparing prasadham. Finally doing Neivaidhyam and Aarathi all by myself. Husband doesn't do and I am not complaining as it is his interest and I never force him .

Now 2 days back in office one colleague said something like how can you do Aarathi , neivaidhyam and all to God. In ours only women who are 50 + can do. Otherwise men only do. They are Kannadigas and we are Tam brams. I told till now no one restricted , so I am doing(Plus I thought maybe they have that practice and we don't have such practice). And something negative from someone I really don't care. But still somewhere it was haunting me. I asked my mom she said nothing like that. ( She being the liberal self is very happy and proud that her daughter who was once doing nothing is doing so much). I am not going to ask my in laws, because if at all they say yes you should not do, I will be hurt. Their complain is their son is not doing and I am sure they won't say me not to do. But somewhere I feel if they say no I maybe hurt.

So I want to take opinion of elders here and what they feel.

Also I am a full time working women,Along with all career aspirations I have certain religious aspirations , I am also practical . Manage my Pooja activities along with my office work and never left one to achieve excellence in the other like only praying and not being Practical and over practical and not doing anything for God. (Because husband complains why I am getting into all these elaborate celebration , he feels I should only be concentrating on career). I can manage both is my feeling

So is it wrong for a women to do Pooja and perform Aarathi etc especially if Husband is not interested at all?

Regards,
    Anusha.

iyerviji, shravs3, joylokhi and 2 others like this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Anusha,

Don't go around discussing religious beliefs or practices. In hinduism, there are really no hard and fast rules. All are free to do whatever they wish.(while Brahmins never cook even onions on festivals, the fishing communities of Maharashtra offer elaborate non-veg food as naivedyam to Gowri during Gowri Ganesh festival. In some Devi temples alcohol is offered as naivedyam!)According to me the ultimate purpose of religion and rituals is to keep one on the right path and in discipline. If one can do that without any elaborate rituals, it should be okay. You seem to have interest and energy, so go ahead and do whatever ritual pleases you. As you age and the family needs rise, you may have to compromise somewhere and even that should be fine.

To make you happy, your husband could do a namaskaram to God and stand with you and share your happiness. Be happy as long as he doesn't restrict you. It is okay if he doesn't actively participate.

There is no such standing rule that women shouldn't perform arati et all. I see men and women having specific roles as it is convenient and helps to manage time and nothing beyond that.

God is in your heart. Do any right thing that makes you happy and peaceful. I am sure God will care only for your feelings and not rituals. Now, relax and live your life to It's fullest.

iyerviji, sindmani, Gauri03 and 3 others like this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Women can do Puja and offer naibedyam ...never heard of restrictions ..

It is usually depends on who is more keen on doing Puja, in some homes males do Puja , in some.home.women do it ...

shravs3 and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Anusha,

It is the same in my household. My husband is not into any religious activity on the other hand I get joy by praying, singing and doing pooja to God. He doesn't stop me or interfere me. On the special occasions he will just show his presence for a few seconds/minutes and that is more than enough of me.

When it comes to doing pooja or any rituals, I follow what my guru says. Whatever you do, do it with the pure love and faith. Surrender to thy God and do your rituals to your hear content.

Vani

Anusha2917 likes this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Where tamil brahmins rituals are concerned, as far as I know, there are no restrictions on women to not perform any puja and aarti/ neivedium etc. Only certain puja vidhis like pranayama etc in certain puja formats are to be performed by men only. Since U are interested in doing the pujas without help from your elders, The book-Puja vidhana+ from Giri traders will give u a good idea of the basis of each festival and ways to perform the pujas therein. We invariably follow the procedure laid down very clearly. Am sure this will clear all your doubts.

sindmani and Anusha2917 like this.
  6. Anusha2917

I agree with you .. Right now I don't have many responsibilities.. So for I'm enjoying what it is.. As we have to prioritize in future my interests may increase or decrease. Thank you for the detailed reply.. :)

7. Anusha2917

Thank you :)

8. Anusha2917

Yes it's very true.. I agree. . :)

9. Anusha2917

That's an awesome suggestion.. Thank you very much.. :)

10. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Anusha2917 I would also think it is better to get opinion from your MIL. I'm sure she will be happy to tell you that there is no restriction for women. It might also give you clarity and peace of mind since you have adopted most of the rituals from your MIL side. We all are strangers in internet. I'm very confident that she will be happy DIL is adopting something which their own son refused to follow. There is nothing wrong in approaching your MIL or in fact anyone from your IL family and get the details. Here is my opinion - If I do elaborate cooking I'm tired by the end so I ask my husband to do the neivadyam. He doesn't do much but does minimum but I'm fine with that. If I have some specific thing then I ask him to help in cooking so I have energy to do the arati. So I don't follow any restriction. Whenever I had asked my MIL about her side of tradition she used to be so happy and provide all details and in addition I get to hear some naughty stories about my husband. Sometimes she becomes so proud of how much she has worked during her time. I feel as long as the relationship is not strained this is a good way to connect with MIL and I have always benefited from such conversations in the past.

Anusha2917 and girvani like this.