1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Camped In The Us?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MansiN, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MansiN

MansiN Senior IL'ite

hahaha @rihanna :D wow i loved this reply so much. so many things happening!

2. MansiN

MansiN Senior IL'ite

So I thought I'd post an update on my experience.

WE made it to Acadia after a 13 hour drive from Maryland. Maine is one beautiful state. We set up our tent and before we could even begin to calculate other things, it started to drizzle. We had to immediately set up a tar shelter for our cooking area. Did that, had some precooked frozen food, heated and served.

One thing that went seriously wrong was, that it rained, heavily. storms and what not. And temperatures fell below 5 degrees Celcius. Because of the storms, no matter how many precautions we took with the tent set up to avoid water from seeping in, water managed to get between the tent footprint and the tent. Really chilly water. We were extremely tired from our trek all day, and couldn't understand why it'd gotten so cold inside the tent.

turns out, there was water inside the tent from condensation. Couldn't leave a door open, because winds were pretty chilly. It was like we slept on an ice water bed all night. woke up at 4 am and got into our car. turned on the seat warmers and got a good sleep.

dired out the tent next day and the tent was good to go. So as a solution to this disaster, we're setting tarp shelters even for our next camping trip, which happens in a week.

Other than that, the food situation was pretty nice for us. We purchased a good cooler, which made ice last for upto 5 days. precooked a few meals at home, froze them and heated and ate those. hassle free. We didnt want to do a lot of work at the campsite, because we were visiting a beautiful state 14 hours away from home and wanted to explore, more than be at the campground. Evening at campsite would be go great with the campfires.

Acadia has some really challenging hikes and trails and we managed to get on a few. It was simply an amazing experience and i'd do it all over again. :)

Next camping trip - Shenandoah National Park. I leave on friday.

If anybody has nay questions about camping, i'd be glad to answer them with as much as i have learnt from this experience.

SunPa likes this.
  3. MansiN

MansiN Senior IL'ite

This is such an elaborate reply. Thank you so so much for taking the time to write this. It is very helpful and has some really good information. I agree, camping is a beautiful experience, if one isn't very picky and chooses to see beyond everyday luxuries.