1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Buy a car - need help

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by google, Jan 6, 2012.

1. google

google Bronze IL'ite

hi
    I want to buy a good car within 20 K.
    I really need an in-built gps (for me) and DVD player system (for my son). Does any brand or model offer this ?

Please let me know. I saw that SUV like Odyssey and Sienna offer, does sedan offer ?

2. SocalMommy

SocalMommy Senior IL'ite

Hello Google,
    A new car for under 20K is a little difficult to find but surely not impossible. Look in your local newspaper or the pennysaver booklet that you normally would get in the mail or at any gas station. Dealers usually advertise "only one at this price" cars to attract customers. So, look for these deals, call the dealership to make sure its available and then take the ad with you. They are very smart people and might sway you into buying a higher priced model saying that the one in the Ad. is already sold. So, be firm. And sedan or SUVs any car can have the gadgets that you mentioned. Even if your chosen car doesn't have it, you can always get it added on for an extra price.
    I have a Nissan Rogue-a mix of sedan and an SUV and although it didn't come with a GPS or a DVD player, we bought them separately and together it came out to be under $400 dollars.
    The choice is ultimately yours. Good luck with your car shopping.
    Cheers,
    Hajira

3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Google,Honda and Toyota are good brands.Look for pre owned cars.They will be slightly cheaper and a few miles on it.You need to ask for Carfax if you look at pre owned.One more thing you need to do is look around for major repairs in car you want to buy.eg Engine,transmission,brakes,brake pads as such.Also ask around for mechanics near where you live whether the repair the car you buy.The reason to ask all this iswhats the point of buying 20k car if all these repairs come to 5-6k each time.Secondly if the corner car repair doesnt repair ur car and you have to shell down atleast 100$ everytime to tow it to service of your car showroom.Sooner or later you will feel the pinch.Think about all this and decide.Good Luck.

4. google

google Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot guys. it was really helpful