Buttermilk

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by GeetaKashyap, Apr 11, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Buttermilk 1

According to Ayurveda, consuming properly prepared buttermilk after meals provides many health benefits. It is said, “Nector is for Gods and Goddesses and the buttermilk is for the human beings.” So in many households meal is incomplete if the finale does not include curd or buttermilk. Buttermilk is a very good source of proteins, calcium, minerals and vitamins such as vitamin B12, riboflavin, and potassium. It is also rich in lactic acid and lactobacillus bacteria, which is considered a good bacteria for our gut.

In India, the common belief is that Buttermilk is a coolant and hence its consumption during summer is very good. Summer and buttermilk are synonymous with each other. In fact, many people avoid curd and buttermilk if suffering from cold and cough.

But recently I came across the following information that created some confusion in me-“Buttermilk is hot in nature while curd is cooling in nature.” This information challenged my hitherto held belief. So if any of you have knowledge on this subject, please clarify.

Benefits of consuming Buttermilk

1. Good to counter dehydration caused by vomiting or diarrhoea.
    2. It helps to detoxify the body and cleanse the intestines.

3. It relieves haemorrhoid symptoms by soothing intestines in IBS.

4. It improves digestion.

5. It helps in weight loss by improving gut health.

6. It improves appetite and eye health.

7. It reduces inflammation, digestive disorders, cholesterol-related problems, anaemia, spleen disorders and gastrointestinal disorders.

8. It eases constipation and replenishes intestinal flora.

9. It provides instant energy and strength.

10.As it decreases heat in the body, it is good for women suffering from hot flashes.

11.It helps to moisturise skin and it adds elasticity and glow to the skin.

Warnings

1. Pregnant women and women, who prone to the pitta sensation should avoid the consumption of buttermilk.

2. Also, it is advised to avoid buttermilk if one is suffering from peptic ulcers or hypertension.

(Source: Various articles on the internet.)

Now let us see how we can improve the taste of this humble drink and make our summers bearable. According to your personal preference adjust the thickness of buttermilk. If you wish to consume it with rice, then 1 part of curd may be diluted with 2 or 3 parts of water. If you wish to use it as a drink then 1 part of curd may be diluted with 4 or 5 parts of water. For drinking, you may serve buttermilk with ice-cubes.

Use any type of salt that you prefer- sea salt, rock salt, table salt or even black salt (Himalayan salt). Personally, I don’t prefer black salt in buttermilk.

In this article I have mainly focused on drinkable varieties. It is well known that we do make many curd based gravies and snacks too. I have not included them here.

Buttermilk with curry leaves (Neer-majjige)

[​IMG]

This buttermilk helps to reduce acidity. Sometimes food allergies lead to diarrhoea. Buttermilk helps to stop diarrhoea. Curry leaves also help to reduce allergies. This is very popular in Karnataka.

This tastes good with rice too. Try it!

Ingredients

Curd/ yoghurt, cold water, salt and few curry leaves.

Method

1. Dilute curd using water and churn well. (You may use a blender)

2. Add salt to taste and few torn curry leaves. Mix well.

3. Preferably rest this buttermilk for 20-30minutes, churn again and serve at room temperature or chilled.

Note

Tearing of curry leaves is said to increase curry leaf flavour.

Buttermilk with roasted cumin powder

[​IMG]

This variety has health benefits like it helps to ease acidity and aid in digestion. It is so nice to sip this Buttermilk (chaas) during summer. Did you know roasted cumin is useful when you suffer from food allergies( itching, hives etc) This is quite a common north Indian variety. This tastes best for drinking after a meal.

Ingredients

Curd/yoghurt, cold water, salt, roasted and powdered cumin seeds (Bhuna jeera powder).

Method

1. Prepare buttermilk.

2. Add salt mix well and chill it.

3. At the time of serving, sprinkle some roasted cumin powder over it.

Spiced buttermilk (Masala chaas)(Sambaram)

[​IMG]

For a change add some mild spice and sip buttermilk. It is so much better than sweetened drinks. This tastes good to drink or it can also be consumed with rice and pickle.

Ingredients

Curd/yoghurt, cold water, salt, few coriander leaves, a tiny piece of green chilli, 4-5 curry leaves (optional), 6-8 mint leaves (optional)

Method

1. Blend together all the ingredients and adjust the thickness of the buttermilk by adding water according to your taste.

2. Rest it for 15-20 minutes.

3. Mix again and serve chilled.

Onion-Buttermilk

[​IMG]

This is an easy way to give a surprising twist to a boring meal. This can be had as an appetising drink or with rice during meals. The addition of onion can take simple buttermilk- rice combo to a new level. I personally prefer this buttermilk only with rice.

This combo is particularly good for diabetics according to Ayurveda. Onion helps to regulate Blood sugar because of Chromium in it. They reduce cholesterol, inflammations and heal infections. Onions are also recommended for people with bone and peripheral nervous system diseases.

Onion help to rejuvenate liver, normalise digestion, relieve constipation and increase appetite. Hence it is very beneficial in treating piles, constipation, jaundice and indigestion.

Ingredients

Curd/ yoghurt- 1 cup, salt to taste, water- 2-2 ½ cups, 4-5 curry leaves, 1 tbsp finely chopped onions/ shallots, finely chopped green chilli- ¼ tsp (optional).

Method

1. Mix onions, green chillies, salt and torn curry leaves. Rest it for about 10 minutes.

2. Blend curd and water.

3. Mix 1 and 2. Rest it again for 30 minutes. (The resting process helps to draw water from onions and soften them and also it helps the flavours to mix well.)

4. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Continued...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

2. GeetaKashyap

Buttermilk 2

Mint and cucumber buttermilk

[​IMG]

I just love this cool buttermilk with rice or as a drink. It is very refreshing with mint and cucumber flavour.

Ingredients

Curd, water, salt, cucumber (peeled and diced), 8-10 mint leaves, a tiny piece of ginger (optional), a small green chilli (Optional)

Method

1. Grind cucumber, green chilli and ginger using a mixie/blender.

2. Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.

3. Adjust the thickness of buttermilk according to your taste.

4. Serve chilled.

Variation

You may add chaat masala also for a variation.

Buttermilk with dry masala

Roasted cumin is useful when you suffer from food allergies (itching, hives etc) and Coriander powder helps to reduce thirst.

Ingredients

Curd/yoghurt, cold water, salt, a piece of green chilli (optional), a tiny piece of ginger (optional), few coriander leaves, roasted and powdered cumin seeds (Bhuna jeera powder) and coriander powder.

Method

1. Prepare buttermilk by blending all the ingredients.

2. Chill, re-blend and serve.

Lemon-Buttermilk

This tangy buttermilk gives a twist of taste and the lemon flavour is very refreshing.

Ingredients

Curd/ yoghurt, water, salt. Few curry leaves, a small green chilli (optional), Lemon juice.

Method

1. Blend all the ingredients other than curry leaves.

2. Add a few torn curry leaves. Mix well.

3. Dilute as per your taste. Serve chilled.

Buttermilk (for acidity)

Those suffering from acidity may consume buttermilk with dry ginger powder and/or asafoetida (Hing) and rock salt.

Buttermilk (for a cough)

People suffering from a cough may add a pinch or two of a mixture of dry ginger powder, pepper and long pepper (Pippali) to their buttermilk.

Buttermilk (Diarrhoea)

To bring diarrhoea under control take ½ tsp of crushed fenugreek seeds (like tablets) with buttermilk 3-4 times a day.

Buttermilk with Tadka

[​IMG]

This buttermilk tastes very good with rice. You may also drink it by diluting it. ((The brown floating thing in the above picture is a little bleached out red chilli and definitely not a cockroach! Lol!))

Ingredients

¼ kg Curd, ½ lt water, salt.

For seasoning

½ tsp oil, ¼ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, 1 dry red or green chilli, finely chopped coriander leaves (optional), few torn curry leaves.

Method

1. Blend buttermilk.

2. Heat oil and crackle mustard and cumin seeds.

3. Add the asafoetida, chilli and the curry leaves.

4. Add it to the buttermilk and garnish with coriander leaves.

5. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Buttermilk with Tadka (Moor kuzhambu) (More koLambu)

This TN style buttermilk tastes excellent with rice. You don’t really need any other accompaniment as this buttermilk has all the masala! Since it is intended to be eaten with rice, the level of spice is high. Feel free to make changes to suit your palate.

Mor/More/Moor in Tamil is Buttermilk and KoLambu is like sambar.

Ingredients

Curd 250g, green chillies 4-5 (to taste), ginger ½ inch piece, garlic clove1-2, cumin seeds 1 tsp, water.

Seasoning

1 tsp oil, Mustard seeds ½ tsp, fenugreek seeds ¼ tsp, black gram (Udad dal) ¼ - ½ tsp, asafoetida 1 pinch, salt to taste, 5-8 curry leaves, finely chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp.

Method

1. Grind green chillies, garlic, ginger and cumin seeds.

2. Blend it with curds and dilute a little by adding water.

3. Add salt to taste.

4. Heat oil in a pan.

5. Crackle mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds. (Ensure that the fenugreek seeds don’t burn)

6. Add Black gram and fry till its colour changes a little.

7. Add asafoetida followed by curry leaves.

8. Add this seasoning to the Moor Kozhambu and garnish with coriander leaves.

Buttermilk with ganji/Kanji

This was a poor man’s breakfast porridge in the olden days, according to my mom. But for us, it was a cooling soup during summer vacations. It is very nutritious and delicious. Ganji is a Kannada word. You can have it either as a drink or a soup.

Step 1

Ingredients to make ganji

½ cup rice, 2 – 2 ½ cups of water.

Method

1. Wash rice, add water and cook it in a large pan till the rice grains are soft and cooked.

2. Drain the excess water using a colander and this liquid is ‘Ganji’

Step 2

Ingredients to make Buttermilk with Ganji.

1-1 ½ cups of Ganji, 1-2 cups of buttermilk, salt.

For seasoning

½ tsp oil, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 3-5 curry leaves, ½ split green chilli or dry red chilli.

Method

1. Mix Ganji, buttermilk and salt. Consistency could be watery or semi watery like soup.

2. Heat oil in a pan.

3. Crackle cumin seeds, add curry leaves and chilli.

4. Add this seasoning (tadka) to the Buttermilk-Ganji mixture we have prepared and serve warm or at room temperature.

Alternatively,

1. Simply add the juice of any pickle to the Buttermilk-Ganji mixture, stir and enjoy!

2. The second option is to add finely chopped onions and green chillies to the Buttermilk-Ganji mixture, stir and enjoy!

*******END*******

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Wow awesome !!! I never knew there are so many varieties of buttermilk !!! Bookmarking !!:thumbup:

4. GeetaKashyap

Thanks for the first comment @shravs3. There must be many more regional varieties. I invite my readers to add more recipes of buttermilk(drinkable only) here.

Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

So tempting !! Love jeera pepper curry leaves masala chaas

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So many reasons I love this post! For the recipes just in time for summer, for the lovely pics, but most of all for the meticulous formatting. That is one good looking post! : )

7. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Knowledge bank Gee... I doubt even google could put up such a well formatted info. love all the variations of butter milk. I remembered the neer majjige served during Ram navami in temples..So yum!

I m going to try these ! Love all the forms of Buttermilk. I know after a good meal they will taste so heavenly or just when you have returned exhausted a day in summer home.

8. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I love buttermilk and thank you so much for the wonderful recipes.My all time favorite is the ginger,cumin and green chilli combo.

Please share the Gujarati kadi recipe (probably buttermilk cooked with besan, few spices and tadka) served with kitchidi as an accompliment.

9. GeetaKashyap

Sunny, share your versions of buttermilk, if you have any. Thanks for the comment.

Sunburst likes this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

There is one single reason to love your comment: it has come from your heart! Thanks, Gauri, for making my day.

Gauri03, nandinimithun and Sandycandy like this.