1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'bring Your Kid To Work' Day!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Gaiya3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Gaiya3

Gaiya3 Gold IL'ite

'Bring your kid to work' Day!
    This may be a western concept but realized how practical it is at the end of a work day. When young we might have had opportunities to visit our parent's workplace mostly during Ayudha pooja day when no business happens. Still one could visit parent's workplace and get the feel of the environment, alongside meeting other colleagues and friends.

Here in western world they do have bring your kid to work day. Kids when young have fun visiting their parents workplace, sitting in dad's/mom's cool (or not so cool) chair, getting a hot chocolate from the vending machine, scribbling on the boards with markers having lunch at the cafeteria finishing with an ice-cream. It might be a wonderful experience for the children.

When in teens, it is an altogether different enriching educational experience. I am not talking about 14 year olds accompanying their parent(doctor) in surgeries. This is more than shadowing an adult at work. This is more about teaching children what their parent do at work showing the value of their education and teaching them practically the possibility of a work-life balance. It also empowers children with making informed decisions on pursuing their interest, making them aware of all the opportunities that exist in choosing a career and the work involved in reaching their goal in pursuit of knowledge.

I had been seeing couple of middle schoolers/ high schoolers at work. They accompany their parent/family member the whole day including attending meetings. They get to experience what happens in the real world. They talk to other business people understand what they do, how they contribute and what impact their work has in the real world. Many kids volunteer in summer time at Free medical clinic, libraries, hospitals etc that provides them an opportunity to envision their future and begin working towards their goal.

Why am I sharing this? Recently happen to talk to someone who is trying to keep their family afloat. The son who is almost 25 and completed MBA wants to quit and do another course for an year at the expense of parent's money. Parents who are almost retired and not keeping good health are trying to fund his wishes. If only kids like him were brought to work and was shown how their parents suffered, he would not place these demands on their old ailing parents. Wish other good aspects of western culture penetrates Indian culture other than burgers and Pizzas.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Totally agree with you, Gaiya. Of course, the concept of dignity of labour and standing on one's own feet instead of behaving like privileged monsters has yet to infiltrate our culture. Like you said, we need to pick up some of the positive aspects of the western culture too instead of just their pizzas and other unhealthy stuff.

sindmani, Gaiya3 and Itsmylife143 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The parents are enabling the young man.

Gaiya3, sangeethakripa and SunPa like this.
  4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

So true, trying to be non-judgemental, but that is the truth.
    If the son was working for atleast a couple of years he could have saved up? Or he should work a little longer , save up and then do the course. Taking responsibility for oneself is an integral part of becoming an adult .

5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

It sure was for my kids, that feeling of grownup, all the pampering and attention wthy get from colleagues but I doubt they realise the hard work we put in.
    Kids loved their dad's office more - they have free ice cream vending machine.

After seeing our office, the kids felt it so cool, they think we have so much fun. So when I say I had a tiring day at work, they retort do you know how tough school is?

sangeethakripa likes this.
  6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

I recall taking my small son to work and he enjoyed it immensely. He ran around interacting with all my colleagues and had a day that appeared to him more magical than real. But I am not sure that I agree with you about importing western culture to improve our own culture. Let them import ours.

oj

sangeethakripa and kcb like this.
  7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Taking kids to work place for one day will be like a day out for them, it is not possible for them to understand the concept of hard work just in one day. Teaching has to start from home. we need to teach kids about the value of money and hard work and how hard it is to earn money. It is an on going process, not a single day teaching.

I am really surprised to read that kids also sitting in the office meeting......

Coming to western culture, yes I agree there are positives, but at the same time there are lot of negatives especially in raising the kids. They know their rights, but they were never taught about values of life and respecting elders like we teach in India. Once children reach 14 - 16 years, their individuality starts, they live separately and start earning their own money. But there is a negative factor to this - handful of money, nobody to question their freedom, not answerable to anyone, which slowly it moves them to take wrong steps in their life. No emotional bonding between children and parents, that's why there is a need for westerners to celebrate Mother's day & Father's day :). Hope we Indians will not blindly follow everything from western culture

sindmani and ojaantrik like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

With due respect, kcb, there are a few points which are over-generalized and this is a common misconception we seem to have about people in the West.

Srama and SunPa like this.
  9. ojaantrik

I agree with you kcb. Wholeheartedly.

oj

kcb likes this.
  10. ojaantrik

Satchi,

Can't follow you.

oj-da