1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brevity Is The Soul Of Wit!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Mar 15, 2017.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Lengthy lectures and lengthy write ups are not liked in our present tech age.
    Deiva pulavar Thiruvalluvar seems to have had a premonition thousands of years ago about this and so he had his 1330 Kurals in just seven words or onne mukkaal adi.

People want everything to be delivered simple, crisp and to the point. Hence they have started using new spellings and acronyms, abbreviations even in sms and tweets.

Even at home sometimes conversation consists only monosyllables or sign language. This is my personal experience at a close relative’s house.

Old timers like me need a dictionary to understand those words expressed in SMS and tweets. As it is whenever I try to post something in snippets. due to diminishing memory I have to search for precise words as my vocabulary is very limited.

People say forget about the fast and live in the present. Even to live in the present we need memory to go through our daily chores instead of depending on someone.

sindmani, Raniz and Viswamitra like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear PS ma'm,

Be assured that are folks like me who always look forward to wise words from elders like yourself. I have heard a lot about Thiruvalluvar but never read. These days, I find myself spending time reading Shubhshi-thani in Sanskrit. While I love the concise , short writing of the present I miss the beauty of the language - I cannot even begin to explain how much I enjoy Sanskrit, grammar and all :)

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

Communication is to express and not to impress and brevity saves precious energy. Why waste effort by lecturing something when we could communicate it in a few words? Thiruvalluvar like teachers are born once in a blue moon. He effectively communicated right living in 1.5 lines divided into 10 per Adhikaram (Subject) and 133 such Adhikarams (subjects). I believe it would have taken a lot longer time to arrange his thinking into such short sentences.

Dear Sabitha,

Thirukkural is a treasure trove of right living. There are many who are capturing insightful management theories from this wonderful time tested teachings.

Viswa

sindmani and Raniz like this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

many original works like Thirukkural subhashithani etc are short but commentaries or vyakyanams are long.Even the original author would be surprised to read them.Even Kamba Ramayanam has exhaustive interpretations and explanations and some original works shine only on account of beautiful commentaries.The inner significance of Bhagatgita may be realised in full only if we go thro various comments by great scholars.

In Kambaramayanam some times a single line can be interpreted in 21 ways.
    Though brevity is the way of life, and people love to have brevity and clarity, literary scholars invariably long to read extensive bhashyams.The kavya-Soundarya or literary beauty will be revealed not by reading the original but by analysing extensions of commentaries.
    Jayasala 42

sindmani likes this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sabitha,

Thanks a lot for your quick response and for you respect to elders. We elders also learn a lot from youngsters.

As Mr Viswa has said Thirukural is a treasure trove. If you are interested Bhargavi Srinivasan had posted around 2009 in blog section under pseudonym sriniketan along with some other IL members.

Concise and short writing is only for communication purpose. The real beauty of a language could be enjoyed only through literature.
    PS

sindmani likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mr Viswa,

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Jaya,

The originals of Thirukkural, Bagavad Gita, and many others are in the form of poems. Different authors had given different interpretations as for their perception. It is a pleasure to read them and Enjoy the commentaries of all.
    PS

sindmani likes this.
  8. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear pushpa,
    In avey brief manner you have come out with a thought provoking message. A witty remark need not be an elaborate one. It can be brief and at the same time striking. The most humorous flashes of wit are often the shortest. Just like wit, the ability to express ideas in the briefest manner requires much intelligence.Like Hanuman says the status of Sita by one sentence "Kanden Seethayai karpinukkanaiyai kangalal" if we want to express our ideas clearly, we must learn to put them in the briefest and aptest way.
    with love
    pad

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Pad,

Quite a surprise for me to see you at this forum after a long time. Thank you for your sweet appreciation.
    Hanuman "sollin selvan" and no one can beat him.

Wish to see you here often.
    Love,
    PS