Breastfeeding Diet ?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by EagerForInfo, May 1, 2016.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

can u please tell me are there any restrictions on your diet while breastfeeding? Is it ok if we eat in restaurants etc etc. I know while pregnant we have to be very careful about he quality of food and that homemade food is way better than restaurant and outside food but how about during breastfeeding ? Is it ok to eat anything I mean outside food too ?

My friend is expecting baby soon and she will not have any help. She plans on buying food from outside and food catering is that ok? Husband said he will pay all the expenses .

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As long as food is prepared in good quality and in clean environment, its OK since she don't have any support..
    Some foods tends to help in getting adequate breast milk. She might need those in the initial stage to match the new born demand. Ask her to include those too when in need.

3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Congrats on your friend's pregnancy,
    I followed family post pregnancy diet.
    The first 45 days after giving birth is very critical toward food intake. As this affects the mother and the child health. At least according to my family post pregnancy diet care. I don't know if it helped me and my baby get through the initial days. But it worked for me.

Family diet post pregnancy care. NO nonveg for first 45 days. NO chili, NO chili powder, NO daal ( directly or indirectly, including NO Dosa or idli)
    LOT and LOADS of garlic, ginger, milk, turmeric, milk and coffee.
    Allowed veggies- beetroot ( it should become your fav veggie), okra, ridge gourd, spinach ( loads of it), loads of coriander/curry leaves,
    Not allowed veggies- potato, green beans, drumstick, pumpkin, gas-inducing veggies.

before breakfast- fenugreek soaked in water, along with the water.
    Breakfast- Oatmeal (uppma style), Sooji rava soup- ( Soupy consistency with garlic and milk), a glass of milk and maybe later coffee.

Lunch/dinner- one veggie palya ( just saute veggies with ghee/ mustard oil with coriander leaves) and
    pepper saaru (basically has nothing but water turmeric, lot of curry leaves and salt and pepper) with rice
    and sooji rava soup.

Pre-dinner- Pineapple, citrus fruits or coffee. One more round of oatmeal uppma.

The concept is to get the extra water out from the post-pregnancy body- therefore advised to eat a lot of garlic/ginger/coffee.
    After giving birth the women will have a lot of gas problems be it C-sec or natural- therefore, avoid all gassy veggies.
    Avoid of daal- daal is known to make the women body gain weight ( or at least my family believes it)
    NO chili or chili powder because it can irritate your stomach. The stomach can be sensitive at this time.

If anything comes up I will add to it. These are things on top of my head.
    I followed this very strictly and thank god my baby didn't get colic. ( I am not sure if it is the diet or my baby's stamina) My post pregnancy was a breeze because of it.
    Hope this helps. Goodluck to your friend.

Anusuya and Bhanulakshmi like this.