1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bottle or Not?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Nov 27, 2009.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi
    bought the bottle with spoon at naidu hall. Only pigeon was available.
    I should say it was some success. LO was able to drink from it. Only problem is that the spoon is at a particular angle only (45 deg) and so the flow of mil is always almost full. Since DD is new to this she was licking from the spoon and not to say there was some spill. But she did not reject it entirely.

Thanks V.

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

wowwwww :)
    Super, you wud go directly to sipper then :) Even am planning to buy this spoon type one and a nuby sipper.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I'm glad thats working out Ramya. Hope it continues to work.

V.

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Q to moms who have used cup+spoon or bottle with spoon for feeding. - Do LOs take in all the milk? I see mine spitting our atleast 1/4th of what is in the bottle. Is this normal or is it that she doesn't know to drink from a spoon?

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

well ramya, for now zoey is just using the regular avent bottle with newborn teat that came along..... i am planning to start her on a sippy once she has good head control and and sit up straight for a while....coz i remember when i used the spoon and cup with her, half the milk wld come out coz of extrusion reflux.... and i find BM to be far too precious to let go waste(esp since i can pump only a little right now)

i think by the time i join office she wld definitely be on sippy, say around 8-9 months old

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ramya we fed formula with cup and spoon and anyone who saw DS being fed said he did really well on the spoon. What kind of spoon is it. DS did well on a flat spoon. I think the bottle with the spoon is meant to feed cereals as weaning food. I am wondering if that works with milk.
    We used a nuby spoon and it took 2 ml at a time, so we ended up having to feed him close to 15 to 20 min for the 1 oz of formula milk.

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

I have the Nuby spoon, but I feel it is curved (may be to hold semi solid kind of food). I think I should use the regulat SS spoons that we have at home (i was thinking it will hurt her lips). And Yes, she does better with flat spoons ... she licks from it.

Bottle with spoon was like a regular feeding bottle ... so I thought it will be ok for milk, but the angle of the spoon is such that it is always full and may be that is the reason she throws up the rest.

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Yeah, this nuby spoon kinda becomes white when the food/milk is hot and has a tiny head that is not very curved... Is that what you are talking about too. Then probably the bottle and spoon will work for you better. This is very new to me, never saw these things around when I had DS.... now I am wondering did I have my child too early? :-D

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, Could the spitting be coz the baby gulps in BM too fast? From the bottle and spoon? Yess, I have seen some of my friends have used it for cerelac, after 6+ months, but not for BM/formula, before that.
    Krithika, Even I have used that Nuby curved spoon for DD, I love them till date :) She too :)))) Yess, even I feel sometimes, did I have my DD early?! ;)))

10. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey all ....
    I tried one more thing yesterday. You get Avent soft spouts that can be used with Avent feeding bottles, Avent Sippy cups etc.
    So, I tried attaching this to the avent bottle into which I pump BMilk and gave to LO.

Pros - She seems to like it, spout is soft so she can bite it, kind of non-spill so better than spoon; wastage is minimum

Cons - Looks liek this is not 6+ months, so the flow is a little more (but as of now, I hold the bottle, so I can control it); She is learning to take from it because it is different from sucking from B or bottle teat.