1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bottle or Not?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Nov 27, 2009.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

LO is 2 months old. Though I haven't decided on the day I need to return to work (Iam planning to be with her atleast until she is 5months), I will need to find a way to feed breast milk when I am away. Also, we are planning to travel when she will be 3 months and pumping and feeding will help as I cannot BF her always.

1. Personally I do not want to get her habituated to bottle. Is this possible? If so, what are the alternatives of giving expressed milk?

2. Please suggest a good Breast pump that I can buy.

thanks
    Ramya

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya,

Mommies like me, who had their LOs rejecting B over bottle confusion, would say NOOOO for bottles... My DD was introduced bottles in 2.5months for formula feeds, i was bedridden/sick then, i fed her BM twice or thrice. But after 20 days, when my supply was coming up again, she plainly refused... even those twice/thrice direct BM feeds came down... I tried and finaly gave up coz i cudnt see her crying all the time... :((((

Baseline is the working of the baby's gums/jaws is totally different in both and once they know, they quickly settle down with their preferences :)))))))) They are super smart. Working with bottle is a lot easier for them than drawing the milk out of our B :)

But I do know babies who do really well with bottle and B. Reg feeding when you are away, since LO wud be more than 5months when u leave for work, you may like to start semi-solids and other times, expressed BM can be fed thru cup/spoon. It takes time, but worth it i feel. Maintaining bottles is a pain really, cleaning, sterilising, all the time... But again, here too some babies wud never be ok with cup/spoon, since they want to suck and drink their BM.

Having said all the pros/cons, I wud say, if you are sure that your family members wud sterilise and maintain the bottles clean, then give a try... See if your LO is good on both. If you find her still eager with your B as before, though bottle fed, then you can go ahead i think.

Bottles and breast pumps - both, I have used Avent brand and am happy. Medela pumps are good too.

3. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Ramya, babies can do well with both breasts and bottles if they are introduced to bottles somewhere around 4-5 weeks... Shibu did very well in that.. Even before i returned to work, i would ask my mom to try and feed her in the bottle once or twice in a week and she did good with the B as well.. I believe if they cross about 3-4 months, they may plainly refuse Bottles and wanting your breasts always.. i remember tikka telling me that it happened to her when K completely refused bottles...

I personally believe it is better to get them introduced to bottles though it is not necessary for you to bottle feed them on the daily basis, it will be definetely helpful on some strange situations when you are not available...

Vidyaa

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I agree with Vidya...I introduced bottle to LO (with pumped breast milk) around 5 weeks and he did just fine..Intially I gave him once every 2-3 days then slowly started giving him one feeding in a bottle..He is 4 months old now and I breastfeed him during the day..He takes the bottle once before bed time.. I am a stay at home mom right now but might get back to later...That's why I introduced the bottle...Also, I can get a break from atleast one feeding...DH feeds the bed time bottle..

I have had friends who introduced the bottle very late (around 5-6 months) and their LO's plainly refused it..

Also stick to only one bottle type...Don't keep changing bottles..

Regarding breast pumps - I highly recommend Medela breast pump (Pump-In-Style model)...

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Vidyaa, Ramya,

Nowadays i have been thinking a lot on bottling DS... So far NO, but my avent ISIS has the bottling setup, only thing i have to get appropriate teat. Initially i was thinking not to bottle him, as am SAHM. But since am on my own, whenever DD is extremely sick, wud want me(not DH) to take her to hospital and want me all the time near her, i tag DS to hospital just for feeding, and am afraid he wud catch bugs there. When DH is there, she wud be fine with him, otherwise its difficult to attend both. My neighbour and a friend here offered to babysit DS for 4-5hrs, when DD was keeping worse. But since he is not into bottles, they wont be able to handle him with cup/spoon etc. These days am thinking bottling wud be a great idea, once in 2 days or once a day, if he gets used up, then fine isnt it??
    Am going to give a try when the teat arrives :)) Wud post my updates :)

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Coming here to agree with what Vidyaa said. DS took bottles when we were formula feeding him initially. Then bfing settled for us and I did an occasional feed with the bottles but mostly a bowl and spoon. By 3/4 months when I started trying again to return to workforce he just would not take bottle. He would take 1 oz and then refuse it till I am back home feeding him. So, do try bottles. But if you are planning on returning to work only at 6 months, I would suggest trying sipper cups. Babies that age do not need bottles. The ones I used from around that age had valves that would regulate the flow of milk, can get you the names if you like.

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Tikka/Vidyaa - I have been reading that introducing bottles before BFg is well established (6 -8 wks) will cause confusion in babies. My obg/gyn also said the same thing. When i discussed this with my paed, she suggested that i intro bottle after 3 months.
    Though im interested in sippercups, it means that until then i need to go with cup-spoon for BMilk. I don't want to put the kid thro bottle n then shift to sippers immediately.

8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

You need not start this early. Just once a week is also ok to introduce bowl and spoon. I started from the start to supplement BF started with bottle since baby was small at that time and after three months was adamant about the bowl and spoon as I myself being a victim of nipple confusion didn't want the same to be done with my DD.

Kiddos are very smart, you just need to introduce them and if they are hungry they will definitely have the milk from any medium. Since you are planning to go to work after six months, introduction to any other medium is not needed at this moment on a daily basis. You can still try to go out for one - two hours on a weekly basis and see first if your DD adjusts with the medium. In case of formula feeds as you are left with no other opition :( you opt for other mediums. Also I have seen that if a mommie is offering a bottle/ bowl and spoon, then babies will throw tantrums but if others do feed them then they will accept it well.

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Hey Krithika,
    One of my friend was asking the same thing yesterday, her son is 1yr old, she wants a sipper with a control setup for the flow. Do pull up something. I wud pass on.

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Pon,

Anything FDA recommended is good. I have brought a MEE MEE training cup, that was the one available right now in the stores.

Ramya,

About sippers, I feel its a good idea to go for basic steel glasses the small ones with a curve, the ones used for tea or the bowls, my DD drinks water in the idli bowls and the glasses. Actually the problem with infants is that they will try to lick the water/ milk like they are suckling and put their mouth in the cup, tiny as they are they cannot handle the cup well. In case you do it on a regular basis then the baby will get used to it.