Book that you want to read again and again - Literacy Day Special Contest - Sep'10

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL-ites,

SEPTEMBER - A month to remember our lovable teachers, a month to celebrate literates and literacy in the world !

As International Literacy day is being celebrated on September 8, we thought of a contest that will let you explore your book reading habit. . Books are the best thing to improve one’s learning skills.

The contest for September 2010 is....

Your most favorite book that you like to read and re-read

Books are our best companion. From waiting for a train to relaxing in the comfort of our home, a book never disappoints as a friend. So tell us, the book that you like to read again and again. It could be a book that you enjoy reading or it could be a book that changed your life’s motto. Don't forget to tell us what you like about it.

Points to be noted:
    • Contest starts today – September 3rd, 2010 and ends on September 30th, 2010.
    • An ILite can post only ONE entry.
    • Entries should be posted only in this thread for it to qualify for the contest.
    • Entry for the contest should not exceed 300 words.
    • Best and interesting write up will be selected by the panel of Judges for a Special Prize.
    • Strictly NO COPY PASTING articles from other sites / magazines.
    Entries to this contest will also help you to explore other interesting books that has been read by your co-members! Get started to post your entry!

PS: Any questions about participation in the contest, do post it here in this thread and we will respond to it.

Regards,
    The IndusLadies Team

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010

2. riyanarayan

riyanarayan New IL'ite

Re: Book that you want to read again and again - Literacy Day Special Contest - Sep'1

where do i post the details about my favorite book

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Re: Book that you want to read again and again - Literacy Day Special Contest - Sep'1

Earlier when I was young used to love reading love stories and used to read most of the tamil magazines and books were by companion. I had started a library also in our Office. Whenever I used to in train I used to carry a Novel with me.

But now after retirement I dont read novels etc. Of late I have started reading Adhyatma Ramayanam in Tamil from which you can learn the way to reach God. Though I have heard and read Ramayanam book before, this is entirely different. There are so many things written in this book which I never knew before.

It is written in that Book that if you read this book you will get the benefits of doing Aswamedha yaham. Even if you do namaskar to that book is like doing archana to all the Gods. We all know if we take Rama's name itself we are blessed. It gives peace of mind by reading this book. Everyone knows Ramayanam. Its such a divine story that I feel like reading again and again. My sister is a real bakth and she used to tell me to read this book and that Ican get it Chennai . This was presented to me by Rena and brought to me by Sudha Kailas.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I used to read magazines and novels during my school and college years.
    But what amazes me till date is the books for small children..so much knowledge packed in simple languages for those innocent brains to get it right, sometimes for us too..:thumbsup
    I am not able to pinpoint one particular book...in general, all children's books.

sriniketan

5. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

hi,
    The book i like to read again and again is "The Alchemist"-Paulo Coelho.The novel was originally written in Portuguese and later translated into many languages.It holds a Guinness book record for maximum translated book by an living author.
    The novel is full of optimism which tells us that one can do anything as long as one believes one can do it.It teaches to follow ones dreams to unfold ones destiny and satisfaction one gets in doing so.
    In this book Coelho says that "Simple things are the most valuable and only wise people appreciate them".
    The novel appeals to everyone who reads as everyone dreams and few strive and dare to follow them,the author awakes rest to take a step ahead and reach wht u r distend for, as if u deny it u r denying to reach God.
    "The novel inspired me a lot as i was waiting for someone assure that dreams come true"
    bye!
    sudha.v

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Riya, post it here :)
    You are in the correct place!

sriniketan

7. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

I was an avid reader before I had kids for myself !!:( Even now I avail almost every opportunity I get to read whatever kind of books I can lay my hand on . From magazines to newspapers, novels to short stories, kids school stuff to ebooks. Hehehe....But when I read about this contest, I thought just for a second ....:ideaWhat was the book I never ever got bored of ??? :coffee
    The first thing that came up to my mind was not one book but two books.
    Panchatantra and Jataka tales. It has been published by different publishers at various times. But no matter it was a thick book or a thin one, colored or in B& W, for kids or for adults. I think I l......l.......l...loved to re-read it at any point of time .It never ever made the reader tired of reading because it was new everytime you look throught it.

I think at every age, for every individual it gives a new meaning or a moral. . As a small child it was just a story that was funny with lot of animal flavours to it . Then later r it was more of a moral story. But today when I read those stories for my kids, I think it adds more newer meaning. It tells more of life lessons.

Now I know how these age old books have survived through centuriesand cultures. Its ever interesting to read for all age groups as it has messages for every reader. :thumbsup:thumbsup

8. RESTLESS

RESTLESS New IL'ite

Hi!

should I leave a URL of the post of my blog here?

or do i have to write my book review here in the comments form?

RESTLESS

9. Deepthik

Deepthik New IL'ite

Books are the best companions for everyone. The book which I want to read every time is Chandamama.
    I like to read the stories again and again and every month I wait for the book to read. If I havent found that I used to read the old copies...
    The book not only gives morals for life but also helps us to see any issue in different and correct way.
    It will have all the entertainment, sensitve and knowledgable stories which are very interactive and helps in going on right track..
    Even though this book is meant for young ones, I love to read this book...

10. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

One of the best books that I recommend to fellow I'lites is "Love Story" by Erich Segal.
    Can a book on love be this short,
    Yet leaves a profound impact?
    To check for yourself, please start,
    Reading this and vouch the fact.

-rgs

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.