1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice

Book Of Recipes For Diabetes

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Thyagarajan, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

An interesting book from view point of Diabetes
    300 recipes for Diabetes veg Mallika Badrinath india.

2. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

What is interesting about it? I have to say, as a late comer to Type 2 diabetes, I have STOPPED ASKING ADVICE about diet from Indians. They are all in denial. I have repeatedly been told I can still eat all the rice and dosa and dal as I used to. NOPE. Not if you want to live. Maybe if you're suicidal. I've seen things in the Indian grocery that are marked for diabetics that are actually HIGHER carb than the same stuff NOT packaged for diabetics.

Carbs matter for type 2 diabetics. We can't shoot some insulin up to quickly lower blood sugar, our bodies do not properly utilize insulin. I had to go without my diabetes meds for 2 years and still managed to keep my A1c down to 7 (5 is normal, it was 13 when I was diagnosed and 8 on meds with minor dietary changes).

I did that by sticking to the lowest carb diet I could stand. I aimed for 30 carbs PER DAY. There are 60 carbs in a cup of cooked rice. I didn't always make the 30 carb mark but aiming for it sure helped. Thank heaven for Premier Protein shakes with only 5 carbs and the low carb diet nuts (who are not diabetic but at least have lots of super low carb recipes for those of us in the minority who ACTUALLY NEED them). And stay away from Glucerna, which is marketed to diabetics, apparently by people who want to kill us.

Amulet likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

haha... Yes Indeed. The book report on the first post
    gets a definite failing grade.