1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

BM thawing Q?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by pray2god, Aug 23, 2010.

1. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

If we freeze BM in either Lansinoh BM bags or Madela BM bags, how much do you store in the bags? Meaning do you store upto the 6oz?

question is if you thaw the bag under running warm water from the tap, what do you do with the extra milk that LO doesnt consume for that feeding. I know once thawed BM cant be frozen again, but can you put it in the referigerator and use it the same day.

How much do you store in each bag for efficient use?

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I've put upto 7oz (210mls) in each bag and frozen them flat (place the bag horizontally). Once the milk has been defrosted, it can be stored in the refrigerator for upto 24 hrs. I found that the best way to defrost the milk was to put it inside another bag (ziploc type) and leave it in a bowl of warm(not hot) water. This way if the frozen bag develops a leak (it sometimes does), I don't loose the milk. I always mixed frozen milk with fresh milk (bm or cows milk 50/50). Once it is defrosted, the milk should be used within 24 hrs. I would defrost my 7 oz bag of milk and use it for 2-3 feedings mixed 50/50 with fresh pumped milk or cows milk.

3. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Pooja,
    Excellent Tip!

@PrayToGod,
    I used to store the milk in 4oz bags and freeze them flat just like Puja mentioned. Just before the feeding time, I will drop the req bags in a bowl of warm water.

As for the quantity, you can increase or lower the volume of milk in each bag, by the approximate milk your LO consumes in one feeding. You can also have some 4 oz bags and some 7 oz bags , so you can mix and match
    depending on his appetite.

Cherish your Nursing Period. It is Golden! :thumbsup

4. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi pray2god,

I used to freeze upto 6-7oz in each bag, date and freeze them. To defreeze I used to take out 2-3 bags depending on my work schedule and put them in a tupperware box and put it in the fridge. Mom used to pour out as needed in the feeder when it was feed time and put the bottle in a bowl of warm water to warm it up and put the rest back in the fridge. I used take out the bags from the freezer based on the dates, oldest first as the composition of breast milk changes as babies grow.

regards,