Bilaspur - Markandeya ji

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by hritu, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hritu

hritu New IL'ite

Markanday is a beautiful place about 20 Kms. from Bilaspur onMarkandeya Ji Ghagus-Brahmpukhar road. This place is named after Rishi Markanday. Rishi Mrikandu had no children and he worshiped here to have child. Lord Shiva blessed him with one son but warned that the boy will live up to the age of 12 years. So Mrikandu had son named Markanday. As the child was growing the anxiety was also growing in fathers mind. One day Markanday asked his father for the reason of anxiety. Father told him everything. Then the child Markanday worshiped for Lord Shiva at this place and finally when his age was about to complete he got what he wanted. This happened on evening of the famous festival of Baishakhi. A spring of water flowed from the place. It is believed that pilgrimage of Char Dham is incomplete without taking bath in this spring.

Have you visited this place ever?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Hritu,

The mention of Bilaspur in the thread title brought me here :).

I was in Korba for about 4-5 years..I started my schoolings there...and have little memory of the place.
    Not sure, if I have been to Markanday...Heard of the story though.
    Thanx for bringing this piece here.

Bye

3. charandeepkaur

charandeepkaur New IL'ite

Same here, the name of Bilaspur has brought me to this post. I have visited many Temples in Bilaspur.

There is an interesting legend attached to Markandeyaji Temple, which revolves around one Rishi Mrikandu. The rishi had no children and used to pray to Lord Shiva fervently for a child. The Lord blessed him with a son, but also told him that the son will die after reaching just 12 years of age. Rishi Mrikandu named his son Markanday and started living in the constant anxiety and fear of death of his only child.

When Markanday came to know the reason of his father's fear, he started worshipping Lord Shiva at the same place where the idol stands enshrined today. Markanday got blessed by the Lord, with a long life, on the day of Baishakhi and at that very moment, a spring of water started flowing there. This spring is considered holy and it is said that the pilgrimage of Char Dham is complete only when one takes a dip in this spring. Markanday ji temple serves as the venue of a religious fair that is organized every year at Baisakhi.

I think many of you have heard about this story?