1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bidding Adieu to Lord Ganesha!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Sep 23, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    Ganesh Utsav which was started or rather reorganized by shri Bal Gangadhar Tilak as a reason for people to come together and have celebrations in Pune, Maharashtra(India), has become gigantic now-a-days. There’s a different kinda aroma in the air. When Ganapati festival is going on, you can feel energy, enthusiasm and totally different powerful vibes in the atmosphere. He stays with us till Anant chaturdashi, which is the day of immersion.
    I remember, when I was quite young, in grade one or so, my mother’s club would organize this festival with a great fervor. We all would participate in many competitions, ranging from a Rangoli competition to salad decoration, debates, dance, plays, athletics, one act play and many more. There used to be a magic show and on the last day Satyanarayan Puja and prize distribution followed by Ganesha’s immersion. After immersion we used to come back to the venue to clean the place. I noticed everybody would be quiet, busy doing his/her part of duty assigned by the elders. Nobody would actually talk to anybody except for the work n all. We used to feel gloomy and left alone; we used to feel as if there is vacuum everywhere. During immersion also, when we would perform the last Aarti, we would have wet eyes. All ladies would wipe their noses, have red eyes and still make a false show by giving a smile as if everything is just all right.
    I noticed the same in my daughters also. When our society Ganapati was going for immersion, they were crying. I said, why do you feel so sad? He’s not leaving you all alone; he resides in our hearts forever. He loves us and that’s why he comes to stay with us for ten days. But yes friends, you really feel sad when you bid adieu to a god who’s very cute, sweet and full of wit and intelligence. He’s very powerful, takes away all your blues. Today Mumbai is very calm n quiet. Though everybody’s doing what they ought to; there is silence everywhere and everybody’s looking in deep thoughts as if they’ve lost something precious.
    With wet eyes n heavy hearts we are Bidding Adieu to you, our revered Ganapati Bappa! Please come early next year and give us opportunity to serve you with our love, affection and dedication.
    Regs J

2. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Anukarsha - Lord Ganesha is loved by one and all. In South India we buy small Ganesha idols made of clay and after the pooja on the third or fourth day we collect all the idols from different houses and drop them in the river. Yesterday I got an Email from USA from a friend of mine and in it I saw pictures of beautiful, huge statues of Ganesha which were immersed in the sea and were thrown back on the beaches by waves, with broken arms and tusks, some of them still holding laddu in the hand and it was really a pitiable sight. I have heard elders saying that if an idol is broken we shouldn't keep it in our pooja and worship it and it has to be dropped in a river or sea. I don't understand how people worship God's idols in such a grand manner and leave them to rot in the beaches where dogs pee on them? I think something has to be done about this....

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Liked your post very much :)

Near my house, I have seen many people just leaving behind Lord Ganesha's idols near the temples on the road...It is just too bad...

4. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear anukarsha,
    Lovely post.In 2003, I was in MUmbai,celebrating Ganesh chathurthi in Mumbai is a different experience.My younger daughter was admitted in a maternity clinic near our house,she was carrying quadruplets and the doc who was taking care of her said,"I have no hope of her delivering the babies,she may abort anytime".You can understand my feelings.:On the immersion day,I was returning from thr clinic and the procession with a huge Vinayaka murthy, white in colour and magnificient in appearance was going for immersion.There was a crowd surrounding the deity.I stood far by,prayed to Him with tears rolling down my cheeks, to take care of my child and that her babies should come to this world safely.Some one touched me,I looked up."Ma,the pujari is calling you"said a woman.The pujari sitting by the side of Lord Ganesh called me near and gave me prasad.I felt as if Lord Ganesh was reassuring me that all would be fine with my daughter.
    My daughter is enjoying her motherhood her chidren are fine,by the grace of God.I will never forget this experience in my life.Thanks for posting such a touching essay,I felt as if I was there with all of you when you immersed Ganapathi.This year my little grandson,one of the quadruplets cried I believe when they took the Ganpathis in their area for immersion.

love
    mithila

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  5. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

dear monifa thanks for your feedback.I too got the same mail forward some 5 years ago showing such a pitiable sight of lord ganesha.I don't know what to say for this but ya i know one thing for sure that nobody would love to do this deliberately.if you saw yesterday's immersion pictures on TV, even you would have noticed that there were more than 85000 ganesha idols from households only.That too on the last day of immersion.and then there are different ganesh mandals all over mumbai.It's not about feeling good or bad, actually ganapati is worshiped in each and every marathi household and why only marathi, i know a few muslim and christian families too who bring ganapati every year and call a pujari to do the proper rituals.
    i feel because idols are immersed in sea and especially the number of idols is so high that with high tide, the undissolved parts must be coming out on shores.That's a known fact that whatever you throw in the sea, comes out.So that might be the reason.though i also feel bad about it but i feel there are a few things which can't be tackled the logical way.We must use eco-friendly idols which would dissolve in the sea water.
    regs-anu:)

6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear ice for your feedback.It surely feels bad to see such a bad condition of lord ganesha.but i believe in karma and those people will surely have their share of whatever by doing such karma.i really pity them.regs-anu:)

7. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

thanks mithila mam for such a touchy feedback! first tell me how are you?how's your health?i am sure you are taking a very good care of your health.
    Ganapati is a god, anybody would just fall in love with.My mom used to tell me stories of ganapati and we all used to enjoy them.We used to plan our dances, plays n all, two-two months in advance for ganesh utsav.he fulfills all our wishes.Actually you don't even need to tell him, he understands all.ya, celebrating ganapati in mumbai is quite an experience in itself.loved your thoughts.my regs to your daughter n love to children.may lord ganesha keep every one happy.regs-anu:)

8. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear Anu,
    how are you ?
    how is your kids?
    In Mumbai, ganesh utsav is celebrated in a grand manner.i liked it

9. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

thanks dear sai for your loving feedback.We are all fine.how about you.please convey my humble regards to appa n love to pavi.cheers-anu:)