1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bharatanatyam- Is age a restriction?

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by sunflower19, Jan 29, 2010.

1. andhragirl

andhragirl New IL'ite

Re: Is it too late to be good at bharatanatyam

thank you crazywriter! i'm actually in india right now for 2 months and I'm going to go dance class everyday. and when i return to the us I plan to do 3 classes a week. how long should the classes be, would an hour suffice?

2. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Re: Is it too late to be good at bharatanatyam

dear andhragirl,

yes one hour per class should do. and as you will be going thrice a week, it should be fine. good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.:thumbsup

3. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

dear ladies,

did you know that Rukmini Devi Arundale, the founder of kalakshetra, and the mother of modern bharatanatyam started learning only when she was near her late twenties? 29, if I am not wrong. she gave her first concert when she was 30 or 32. even protima bedi began learning oddissi when she was 26.

age and your body does matter for a strenuous art form like bharatanatyam, but don't let that come in your way of learning the dance. it will be a bit difficult initially, as the aramandi position is very demanding on your legs, especially the thighs tend to take a lot of pressure.

I have seen many videos on youtube where people in their middle ages are performing, so trust me, age is not a bar for performing. keep your spirits high, and you can master the art. with dedication and hard work, you will be able to learn bharatanatyam. good luck.! :)

KashmirFlower and NanduSudha48 like this.
  4. Mumbaigirl

Mumbaigirl Bronze IL'ite

Hello,

Just now i have joined on this site, i was searching mudras of bharatnatyam, i got this site while searching, recently i have joined Bharatnatyam classes. When i was in school i was very much interested to learn Bharatnatyam, but my parents told me no, bcoz of fees.....now i am 28. After that college, job, marriage & then daughter. Iwas searching bharatnatyam class for my daughter, Now in Feb 2011, c will be 5 yrs, but c is not showing interest in learning Dance, may b after 1 year c will do. But i have joined, i asked dance teacher whether u have any age restrictions to join, c said if u r interested u can join. My hubby doesn't have any problem, he also encouraged me.

From last two weeks i am going, after reading this forum i am really happy, in this world so many girls r thr, who want to learn something new, which they wont able to do in there life, for some reasons. I am not alone in the WORLD who want to learn something new.

I am really very happy, my dance teacher is very happy with me, c said it is really good, that at this age also u want to learn something new.

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE.

THANK U ALL.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  5. santrupti

santrupti New IL'ite

Hi guys,

I am also in my 20s and now thinking of joining bharatnatyam classes...
    ts really wonderful to see all u ppl interested!!
    I am really motivated to join and listen to my heart !!
    Thanks guys :cheers

6. Saeeli

Saeeli New IL'ite

Hello all,

I too love kathak dance form. When I was in fifth class I had joined basic course. But due to health problem and since I was weak I was told to stop. After that I could not join though I wished to cause of some reason. But now I have that guilt that somewhere something I left incomplete and I should complete. M now working in IT firm n my work timing is also not suitable like. What should I do.. Does any one know or could help me find out teacher who can teach me for weekends in and around panji(Goa). I don't want perform anywhere but just for my satisfaction I want to learn. Please do reply.

7. refresh

refresh New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Iam 36 now.I loved bharatnatyam and I couldn't learn it during my childhood.I joined to learn bharatnatyam with my two little daughters five years back.When I started dancing with kids many laughed at me and they thought I may quit bcoz of leg pain or being not able to get flexibility.But i didn't mind it.And now it is the time for arangettam. Myself and my kids are doing arangettam this month.I feel blessed.Sky is the limit.Go ahead ladies.You can do it.
    Iam a software engineer too :cheer:

8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hey Guys,

you have no idea how glad I am to have found this thread. I didnt there were so many others like me who want to learn bharathanatyam so late. I really wanted to join a long time ago but couldn't.
    After two kids, I recently joined in a class near my house. I am now 28 yrs, plump bodering on fat lady. My class has kids ranging from 2 yrs to 5 yrs and I am the only odd lady out.
    When I joined - which was last year September, the parents of the kids used to laugh and comment. It was a little demotivating.
    But hey its my passion, so I continued and now I am learning alarippu.
    Dance, office, household is very stressful together....but its so nice to just indulge in something that I love so much.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Isnt't it amazing. I am glad you didn't give up due to pains. Sometimes I find it too hard to just sit or stand after dance classes. But I have now come to embrace the pain as know that it will make me stronger. I am so happy to hear about your arengetram. Good luck to you and your daughters.

10. NanduSudha48

NanduSudha48 New IL'ite

Very interesting, I practice bharatanatyam in Kalakshetra style and I had no idea that Rukmini started to dance at so adult age.....