1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bf Parents Are Visiting

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Cantdecide, Feb 7, 2017.

1. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

If they are coming for 3 weeks,then just let your bf spend time with his parents.Visit them on weekends and spend time with them.If you plan the other way around,to be with your bf 90% of time,then make sure to spend time with them and do not expect privacy.its just for 3 weeks so just please them.

Cantdecide likes this.
  2. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

All The Best and do post here after thier visit on how it went.

Cantdecide likes this.
  3. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

I'm fine with that too, he says he wants me to spend time with them and meet them and see how we get along. I don't expect spending too much time with them. Probably just the first weekend, then after that, maybe two weeknights and weekend, then maybe the same after that? I don't want to seem like I'm rude but I want to give them their private time too.

On a side note, it's very interesting because in my cultural background, three weeks is an extremely long time for a visit lol but I am learning that it is very "short" to his parents.

4. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Thank you! I will! :) I'm looking forward to it in some ways and hope it goes well!

5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

When American employees are sent abroad to work in a subsidiary company, the larger MNC's would send the employee to learn about the culture they are going to into. In such workshops the employee would get steeped in stereotypes, with the warning that we should never stereotype, coming in from the facilitator in all the coffee/danish/donut breaks.

Naturalized Americans would find the whole exercise amusing, and if they had something else they'd rather be doing, somewhat of a gross waste of time.

Once they get to where they had to, and get to the first day at work, their key contacts in the subsidiary company would tell them how they had gone to similar workshops to learn about how to deal with a stereotypical HQ guy. And they get an "Indian". It is a good thing that firangi's do not have to make a circle of their wagons when they see indians.

I would recommend that you be nothing different; because they will come trained (with whatever advice they get from their friends in India, or accumulated knowledge of such firangi people etc..) and let them deal with behaviors. You can be pleasant, make eye contact, and dispense curiosity in polite doses in conversation. When you come back from work, you can ask them how their day went, did they watch "Young and the Restless" , etc.. You are at home, they are in a new place, experiencing new things -- let them talk.

If the PIL's are english speaking college educated folks, well.... they will need no special handling.

I was amused about the aunty-uncle calling. Isn't this a Hinid-region thing ? This calling the older gen' auntie-uncle ?
    has anyone been in a conversation like:
    firangi: so.. how do you call your husband ?
    desi: eh? I don't.
    firangi: what ? never ? what do you call him when you talk ?
    desi: in bed ? when noses are in contact ? that is a secret.
    firangi: no silly... if you are talking to him just like we are talking.
    desi: oh... did you catch me calling you anything ?
    firangi: hmmmm.. no, but...
    desi: we make eye contact, we are at talking distance, and we talk. No calling one another.​

6. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Haha I have no idea about the aunty / uncle thing! I know his friends introduce me to their young children as "Aunty" and so then I asked him "what do I call your parents? their name?" and he said "Aunty / uncle". He calls my parents by their first name.

It sounds like they are very traditional in many ways...I'm going to try to be as much "normal" myself as I can, but I am worried it will create some conflict if I just 100% act like myself which makes me a little sad. :( Hopefully they can be understanding and reasonable about who I am and my culture as well.

7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

did the bf mention whether they are huggers or non-huggers ?
    This is a question that pops into my mind when I am planning to meet someone for the first time.
    If they are to be huggers (stereotyped by nationality and religion), then we have to know the relative heights from which to hug to cause the least embarassment to either party, decide whose head goes which side, and whether or not to make that kissing noise next to the ear, or go with two gentle taps to the back.
    In all such hugging cultures ( latino's most of them) I tend to be defensive, stand back and offer my hand.

8. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Lol he volunteered they are not huggers which may be because I am not a hugger and all his friends always want to hug me. :x

chanchitra likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

What part of your culture or behavior you suspect might cause a conflict ?
    Is that "traditional" code speech for illiberal, prejudiced, biased, stereotyping... etc. ? In my opinion, traditional people exist in all cultures, and countries. One cannot do much about it, except take it in doses that our psyches will allow.

10. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

The part I am concerned may cause a conflict is their expectations on me and how they may want me / him to behave with regard to them and by extension my BF's expectations of me.

In terms of traditional, I mean specifically adhering to cultural traditions like shaving the kids head at one year old, touching feet, taking dowry, etc. Those are all things we've talked about that his family adheres to.