1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bf Parents Are Visiting

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Cantdecide, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Thanks! I am just a little nervous - want to make a good impression and hopefully we get along well. Fingers crossed!

2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Just a suggestion - Do not go out of your way to make an impression. They might end up assuming you'd do the same thing for them for the whole of your life.
    For example - if you try and impress them by wearing Indian traditional dresses whenever you can, they may think that you will keep doing this , going forward too. But in future you choose not to wear Indian traditional wear , for whatever reason, it may pose a problem. That's just an example.
    As much as you want to know them better, it is equally important for them to know you - for you are, what you are and how you are - in everyday life. and no one can show them the real, usual you - better than you.

That helps in setting expectations right - on both sides - and makes life easier

When my MIL saw me for the first time, I was clad in 3/4 and a tee shirt with short hair. My tee shirt read, "Deal with it". It was a "Surprise" visit. DH called me and said, "come down once, am near your hostel and come right away - just for 2 mins - i have something to give you and I must go immediately"
    I ran down the stairs, least expecting a woman to meet !

She was shocked, I was dead and then I said, "Namaste Aunty", she gave a "what a girl my son found" kinda smile.
    DH said, "Get dressed, we'll go out for lunch". I ran back upstairs trying to find out one ironed cotton dress. Nope. Nothing at all ! All I had ready were jeans, cotton pants, tshirts and tops. Called DH and shouted at him for not telling me that he is bringing his mom. His reply was, "she needs to see you, like you - not like how she likes to see you. Wear anything that you are comfortable in and come down."

I went out with one seemingly decent top and a Jeans. During the lunch she asked me if I am usually dressed like that - in jeans -I said yes because I like jeans and am comfy in jeans and tees rather than in salwars. She understood what she should expect in terms of clothing, from me. After marriage, I reserved wearing Indian clothes for work sometimes/spl occassions - otherwise - am in Jeans, tracks, 3/4ths and she doesn't actually comment.

3. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    Since they know English, speak English with them as it will be comfortable for everybody. Be nice to them.
    There will be distance between bf and you when parents are around

4. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

That's very good advice thank you. :) I don't own any traditional Indian clothes, and I tend to dress very "Western" lol, lots of jeans, shorter skirts, t shirts, etc. so we'll see how that goes over! My BF also told me to wear whatever I normally wear so I don't set up expectations. He did tell me about calling them Aunty / Uncle lol. :)

5. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Thanks, that is what I am leaning towards. Don't want to add to difficulty in communication. I assume there would be some distance between us when his parents are around...will see what that is like in reality....

6. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

That distance,my dear, will enhance and augment your love for each other. Been there done that. We cherish all those moments and every inch of that distance. God bless you both.

7. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

"Mom showing recipees".
    Have heard from many indian DIL that they dont usually r interested in learning cooking from MIL. Same with me i really dont like learning MIL recipee and cooking. My MIL is not that great and also they stress so much on minor details that really hate. So dont commit to bf abt learning cooking from his mom.
    You r not Indian so he shouldnt expect at all to learn lot of indian cooking.
    You can probably cook some ur dishes to MIL.

Talking after day of work. Am saying no DIL is doing it now a days. Just saying hello, few words is a ok to do after long day of work.

Feel like ur bf is bows down too much for small formalities wishes of his parents. Be careful.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

I'm ok with learning some recipes from his mom that taste good but I would not think that is the expectation on me from him or from her. His ex wife did not learn anything in the kitchen with his mom.

I don't know what he means by talking with her, I think that is why I am confused. To me, talking means - hi, how are you, how was your day, my day was good - busy at work today / easy work day. He seems to think the same thing. I don't know if "talking" is some traditional expected behavior with the DIL or it means some specific conversation that you may be thinking of.

The only one he has brought up is the "talking" with mom, other than that I am the one who is curious to learn about some cooking (I like cooking) and I mentioned whether the clothes I wear are fine or not to him (I can respect if someone from a different generation / culture may think something is too revealing lol).

9. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

Talking in sense not a particular way or traditional,he basically want u to entertain her.
    In india there will be ppl visting home, starting from morning milk man till night, there will be neighbors etc.

When they come US , its quite boring so bf is asking u to entertain his mom.

It definetely doesnt hurt to talk but depends on how she talks,also u need to have energy or willing to talk. U cant force urself.

Yes completely agree on clothes. Wearing some loose fit ones which arent that revealing or short will be good.

10. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Oh haha ok of course, now that seems obvious. :) I see...I am generally happy to chit chat with her if she's nice and friendly. I think I am ok at conversation but I also want my alone time and not have to put on a show every day. Will just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

Yeah, I don't usually wear too revealing but at home I tend to run around in shorter shorts because they are comfortable haha.